Adventures in Calligraphy

For years I have been obsessed with the art of calligraphy. There is just something so graceful about black calligraphic lines against ivory paper that really draws me to the elegant craft.

However, it wasn’t until this week that I was actually inspired to try it! It allll started with a blog post by my new friend, April, of A. Liz Adventures. She featured her gorgeous wedding invitations a few days ago and her calligraphy immediately caught my attention. It was truly exquisite. Naturally, I inquired as to who she used for her calligraphy, and she informed me that she did it herself {this girl has some serious talent}!! When I told her I was interested in learning the beautiful writing, she immediately offered to show me the ropes! I was beyond ecstatic {to say the least}. We met up last night at a coffee shop for a quick beginner’s course, and then walked down to Michaels to get my calligraphy supplies!

Our Michaels trip – so fun!

Perfecting my penmanship will definitely take time to achieve. There will be many hours of frustration ahead, and lots of discarded pages along the way. However, I am hopeful that I can master as least the basics quick enough to address all my wedding invitations in less than two months {fingers crossed}!

Oh – and a HUGE thank you to April, my new fabulous friend, for all her help in my new adventure!

1. April of A. Liz Adventures
    July 15, 2011 / 1:20 pm

This was just too much fun! I'm so glad that we got together & were able to talk about weddings until we were blue in the face. SO FUN! Keep me posted with how the invitations are turning out!

2. Mel
    July 15, 2011 / 2:34 pm

Can't wait to see the finished product 😉

3. Alexis @bloomedinjune
    July 15, 2011 / 2:55 pm

i love calligraphy and am so excited to see how it turns out!

4. Nicole-Lynn
    July 15, 2011 / 3:28 pm

Y'all are too cute! Love both of your blogs and how fun you were able to meet up! Looking forward to seeing how your calligraphy turns out! I love that kinda stuff!I tried doing my own calligraphy, and took some classes but in the end it was just too much work for me. I ended up printing each of the addresses on wrap around labels in a nice, calligraphy font which worked out well and saved me a lot of time and a headache! 🙂

5. Annie
    July 15, 2011 / 3:40 pm

Yall are presch!

6. Kristin
    July 15, 2011 / 6:08 pm

New follower here! I love calligraphy also! Good luck trying it out! Have a great weekend!

7. Perpetual Blind Date
    July 15, 2011 / 6:39 pm

Good luck! Calligraphy seems way over my head! Keep us posted on how it's going!

8. Leeann @ Join the Gossip
    July 15, 2011 / 7:14 pm

I used to be obsessed with calligraphy! It's so beautiful and whimsical. Love the style of the envelopes in that first picture 🙂

9. Meggan from Lila Grace Accessories
    July 15, 2011 / 11:11 pm

April is amazing and I am so glad to find your blog through hers! I love your pictures from Michaels! So fun! Have a great weekend!

10. Vanessa
    July 16, 2011 / 12:06 pm

Cute! Good luck. I took some courses that were offered through Winter Park Tech. We just learned the basic Calligraphy, it was fun and yes I ended up writing mine out. I went through quite a few envelopes ha ha. But it was worth it.

11. Meg
    July 16, 2011 / 2:57 pm

So sweet! I can't wait to see how it turns out for you! Good luck, doll! :)MEGAN LANDxx

12. Hailey
    October 4, 2011 / 6:10 pm

Oh my goodness, mayyyyybe I can send mine for you to do in a few months 🙂

13. Catherine
    January 19, 2012 / 5:24 pm

Calligraphy is a wonderful art form! Your excitement and desire to do-it-yourself is great. It is wonderful to have that invitation make a stunning impression on your guests! and don't forget to pick out a complimentary stamp! If you need any tips . . . I teach and would be happy to give you some ideas. Catherine @ http://longvillagelettering.blogspot.comAnd congrats on your engagement!

14. Amber Powell
    March 5, 2012 / 2:47 pm

What calligraphy set did you end up going with from Michael's?

15. María
    July 10, 2012 / 5:32 pm

Really nice the calligraphy. I'm a Graphic Designer.Very nice the invitations.

16. سما احمد
    August 5, 2015 / 4:52 pm

شركة تنظيف كنب بأبهاشركة تنظيف مساجد بأبهاشركة تنظيف سجاد بأبهاشركة كشف تسربات المياه بأبهاشركة تخزين عفش بأبهاشركة عزل خزانات بأبهاشركة تعقيم خزانات بأبهاشركة صيانة خزانات بأبهاشركة غسيل خزانات بأبهاشركة صيانة مسابح بأبهاشركة تنظيف الاثاث بأبهاشركة جلي بلاط بأبهاشركة تنظيف شقق بأبها

17. سما احمد
    August 5, 2015 / 4:52 pm

شركة نقل عفش بأبهاشركة تنظيف موكيت بأبهاشركة تنظيف مجالس بأبهاشركة تنظيف مسابح بأبهاشركة تنظيف منازل بأبهاشركة تنظيف ستائر بأبهاشركة مكافحة الفئران بأبهاشركة مكافحة حشرات بابهاشركة رش مبيدات بأبهاشركة عزل اسطح بأبهاشركة تنظيف فلل بأبهاشركة رش الدفان بأبها

18. سما احمد
    August 5, 2015 / 4:52 pm

شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بأبهاشركة مكافحة بق الفراش بأبهاشركة مكافحة الصراصير بأبهاشركة مكافحة الناموس بأبهاشركة مكافحة الباعوض بأبهاشركة تسليك مجارى بأبهاشركة تنظيف خزانات بأبها