Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf

I’ve been experimenting with my loaf pan a lot recently. Approximately 75% of those experiments have turned out to be complete baking fails. Either I don’t cook the loaf long enough and the center is gooey but the rest is crispy, or I lose half of my loaf inside the pan when I turn it over {no matter how well I grease it}. However, the other 25% of my baking attempts have turned out amazing. Like, really amazing. For example, the Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf…

Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf

From Sweet Pea’s Kitchen

For the Loaf:
1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (approximately 2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed and rinsed

For the Lemon Syrup:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar

For the Lemon Glaze:
1 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of one 9 x 5-inch loaf pans; dust with flour, tapping out excess.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla and oil. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of flour, and fold them very gently into the batter.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing loaf to a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.

While the loaf is cooling, make the lemon syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir together the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once dissolved, continue to cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.

Use a toothpick to poke holes in the tops and sides of the warm loaf. Brush the top and sides of the loaf with the lemon syrup. Let the syrup soak into the cake and brush again. Let the cake cool completely.

To make the lemon glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of the lemon juice. The mixture should be thick but pourable. Add up to another tablespoon of lemon juice if the mixture is too stiff. Pour the lemon glaze over the top of each loaf and let it drip down the sides. Let the lemon glaze harden, about 15 minutes, before serving.

Serve this zingy cake with a cup of coffee for breakfast or with a glass of milk for dessert! It’s really the perfect anytime cake.

I think I am going to make this as mini muffins next!

1. Megan@TwoDelighted
    April 24, 2013 / 1:12 pm

This seems like exactly what I want to eat right now.

2. Emily
    April 24, 2013 / 1:14 pm

Yummy!! Can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!

3. Laurie @ The Rookie Wife
    April 24, 2013 / 1:46 pm

This looks AMAZING! I might try the recipe for mini muffins because I don't currently own a bread pan.

4. Jordan Cole
    April 24, 2013 / 2:03 pm

I agree with Megan, looks perfect for breakfast! I made a strawberry yogurt loaf the other day…the yogurt makes it so moist!

5. rachel
    April 24, 2013 / 3:23 pm

Yum yum! I need some of that right now! 🙂

6. ~ Lisa ~
    April 24, 2013 / 5:18 pm

I was trying to be on a diet. Geeee thanks… LOL…. now I have to try this.~ Lisa ~

7. Lexilooo
    April 25, 2013 / 1:34 am

I just tried the strawberry yogurt bundt cake that everyone has been raving about, and it was a total fail! I don't know what I did wrong, but it was so dark in color, and just looked awful!

8. Lexilooo
    April 25, 2013 / 1:34 am

This sounds so good though, and I want to try it!

9. Amanda Rollo
    April 25, 2013 / 3:22 pm

This looks delicious! I'd love to try it. Thanks for sharing! Amanda – Running In Heels amandarollo.blogspot.com

10. Maureen
    April 25, 2013 / 3:54 pm

Looks delicious! I love blueberry treats in the spring!

11. Liza
    April 25, 2013 / 7:14 pm

This looks amazing. . .just in time for blueberry season. I was thinking about you Tuesday when I "polished" some silver. That tip is life-altering.

12. Nicole-Lynn
    April 26, 2013 / 1:32 am

Looks so moist and delicious! I must make this soon! Yummy!

13. Sarah
    April 26, 2013 / 3:05 pm

What do you use for greasing your pans? A trick my husband's Southern grandma taught him that I swear by (I've never had a cake stick since doing it this way) is to grease the pan with Crisco and sift flour over that. If you're making a chocolate cake and don't want the flour residue on it, cocoa works as well.

14. Jaxson Corey
    May 1, 2013 / 11:11 am

Some great thoughts, and I'll certainly take it onboard with my writing. I can't help but think you should take a look at a film called 'Freedom Deep' when talking about 'Book of Eli'. The Denzel film shares a staggering amount of similarities to this independent Australian film, particularly the main characters and themes. Hell, even a lot of the shots and scenes are familiar! Keep up the good work, this blog is worth its weight in gold!Accounts Software For Small Business papers-for-sale

15. VALL xx
    May 14, 2013 / 2:44 pm

Hi!I've got some leftover buttermilk!Am wonder if I can substitute yogurt for buttermilk?If yes, will it alter the taste and what wld the proportions be like?Thank you!

16. Qing Cai
    April 2, 2015 / 12:58 am

marc jacobs outletthomas sabo braceletbabyliss progiuseppe zanotti outletcheap snapbacksmichael kors handbagspandora jewelrymac makeupinsanity max 30celine outlet onlineceline outlethollister clothinghollister pas cherpandora jewelrylouis vuitton handbagsferragamo shoesmcm handbagstrue religionmichael kors outlet storetoms shoes outlet onlineoakley sunglassesair jordan shoesair jordan concordpuma outlet storemcm backpackswarovski outletbabylisschanel bagslouis vuitton handbagslululemon outlet onlinecai2015402