Caroline’s Health Update

I can’t thank you all enough for the encouragement, support and prayers in response to my instagram update yesterday regarding Caroline. In a matter of minutes my picture was saturated with uplifting comments that I really needed in those moments. I owe you all a hug. A lot of you asked for updates on Caroline’s tests and a lot of you also asked what the heck happened. It’s still very raw and traumatic for me to recap but I’m going to do my best. And again, thank you from the bottom of my heart for lifting our family in prayer. We’ve never felt so covered in God’s love, healing and protection.

For those of you who just want an update and not all the scary details I highly suggest skipping all except the last paragraph of the following…

I rocked Caroline to sleep at her usual bedtime. She was hungrier than normal so I gave her 6 ounces of milk (she normally takes 4 ounces). I rocked her into a deep sleep, said a prayer over her and tip toed to her crib to lay her down. She didn’t stir – success.

Hours later Matt and I were watching some TV in our living room. This is worth mentioning because it’s pretty uncharacteristic for us as we normally run to our room and collapse into bed much earlier than this. I heard a very brief but frightening scream come from Caroline’s room (which is right off of our family room). It was unlike any scream I’d ever heard but it was just a short burst followed by silence. If I were in my bed I don’t know that I would have responded to her since it was just a short outburst and it seemed she slipped back into her slumber. But for some reason the cry upset me and Matt and I both jumped up to go rescue her from maybe a bad dream?

In less than 3 seconds I was standing over her crib in the dark, gently patting her belly to let her know I was there. Her typical response is to curl up into a ball, roll towards me, make some eye contact and smile. She didn’t do that. I suspected she was in a much deeper sleep so I started to rub her belly a little harder and whisper her name. It was then that I realized her sleep sack was completely saturated in vomit (and so was half her crib – so much vomit) so I hurriedly picked her up to change her. In that moment my heart sank to the floor. Her body was lifeless and collapsed into mine as I put her to my chest. She didn’t squirm or sigh or show any ounce of reflex. Her head had no control and her face crashed into my chest rather than the side of her head. I screamed for Matt to turn on the light and that I thought something might be wrong. We laid her on her changing table and it was then that we recognized she was completely unconscious and not breathing. We screamed her name, shook her a bit (safely) and Matt immediately went into back blows as I called 911. Her coloring went from pale to red to purple.

I was a complete mess on the phone with the 911 operator. I tried to give him all of the information he needed in between my pleads to “please hurry!!!” and screams of “she’s still not breathing!!” He told us to lay her on her back to begin CPR (we took infant CPR prior to Caroline’s arrival). Everything was happening too quickly yet time managed to stand still. It was in those moments that I could hear the comforting sound of sirens approaching our house. The ambulance had arrived in less than 4 minutes. I ran outside screaming for the paramedics to please save my baby and an army of paramedics, firemen and policemen came storming into my house. Each responded as if it was their own child and immediately took over for Matt. At this point Caroline had started taking shallow breaths, opened her eyes but was still unresponsive. The next few minutes were a blur as we were watching the medics care for Caroline simultaneously to giving them all of our information. They loaded her into her car seat and ran her out the front door where there was a stretcher sitting in our front yard. I lost it. Watching your baby’s car seat be strapped to a stretcher and loaded into an ambulance is an image I hope none of you will ever have to see. I rode with her and Matt followed us in the truck.

When we arrived to the emergency room she was immediately taken back to the children’s ER wing and stuck with a thousand needles, monitors, a catheter and a bunch of other wires. She started to cry and it was a relief that I just can’t describe. I’d never been so happy to hear her cry. It meant that she was awake and alert. However, she was also in a lot of pain and it was equally excruciating to watch nurses poke her a million times. Test after test after test was ordered. I can’t even recount everything she went through.

A few hours later we were admitted to the children’s floor where we spent the night. The doctors were really worried about an increased risk for SIDS so they wanted to observe her. We didn’t sleep. Every 15 minutes a nurse or a doctor came in to check vitals, give updates, etc. We were also told by the pediatricians that they hoped to find “nothing” in her tests and that “no answers” was likely the best answer. But we wanted answers! How were we to go back home not knowing why or how this all happened?

We tried to sleep. It was 3 am and we were utterly exhausted. The 3 of us squeezed together on the tiniest couch and Caroline went to sleep on Matt’s chest. When she awoke in the morning she seemed completely normal. She smiled, fussed, took a bottle and played with toys. The doctors ordered several more heart x-rays to be safe but everything came back normal and we were scheduled to be discharged.

Just before we left one of the pediatricians came by and told us that based off of all of the tests the team of doctors on the floor believed Caroline survived a case of SIDS. They speculate she choked on her vomit, screamed out using her last breath and her body shut down to conserve energy, air and relax her tummy muscles so the vomit could go back down (or out). Apparently infants have a remarkable ability to use the air in the body for several minutes and it was by the grace of God that we intervened at those exact moments. They also believe that this was an isolated event that should likely never happen again. We were happy with those answers and even happier to bring our healthy baby home. I swear there was an angel (most likely my mom) who was with her that night and ignited a panic in me to respond to that cry. I am forever grateful to our Lord for healing our Caroline.

Now go squeeze your babies!

Facebooktwitterpinterestinstagrambloglovin

1. Maggie
    September 10, 2014 / 12:15 pm

I literally had chills and my heart dropped half a dozen times as I read this. Praise God for His and your timing. Praise Him that you and Matt got to her and reacted as quickly as you did. Praise Him for keeping her safe and that's she's home safely. I am so sorry you guys had to go through that, but I'm thankful for the ending.

2. Jessica
    September 10, 2014 / 12:26 pm

Christina, I was in tears reading this. Although I knew that Caroline was going to be ok, it still hurt to read your words of terror and panic – literally EVERY mother's worst fear. I am so, so glad that you and Matt happened to be right there in the living room that night and responded as quickly as you did. Thank God. Your prompt response definitely saved your daughter's life. And thank God that sweet little Caroline is ok! 🙂 So glad that this story has a happy ending!

3. Caitlyn {Home Sweet Ruby}
    September 10, 2014 / 12:30 pm

Oh my gosh Christina, I'm so sorry you and your family had to go through this. I can't even imagine how hard that would be. I'm so glad to hear she is doing well and her tests came back in the clear! I truly think that must have been your Mom watching over her, Caroline is lucky to have such amazing parents. Lots of prayers coming your way!

4. Dee Stephens
    September 10, 2014 / 12:32 pm

HOLY COW!! I'm not on IG much anymore. Toddlers do that. I literally have chills and tears in my eyes. God was watching over ya'll for sure!!I told you about our experience with Shelby right after she was born, so you know, I know.. what you went through. You probably felt like you might heart attack and die right there. At least I did. I hope to God, you guys took the day off and are decompressing from such a LIFE CHANGING event.Thanks be to God!!!!!!!XO

5. Laura-Hyde
    September 10, 2014 / 12:33 pm

I'm so sorry that you guys had to go through this but I also truly believe your mum is looking out for you all. It's also made me make a mental note to definitely take a baby CPR class whenever the times comes for me to have a baby of my own. Wishing you nothing but health and happiness xx

6. Christina @ This Woman Cooks!
    September 10, 2014 / 12:35 pm

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I'm crying, I can't imagine the fear and terror of that experience. SIDS was my worst fear when our daughter was a baby, enough to make me check on her constantly in he beginning. So so sorry, I'm so thankful she is alright and you and Matt rushed to her just in time.

7. Sara Elizabeth
    September 10, 2014 / 12:41 pm

Oh sweet girl, I am so so so thankful this had a happy ending. Caroline is a fighter!!.

8. P!nky
    September 10, 2014 / 12:51 pm

OH my gosh!!!! So glad she's okay! And I agree, her guardian angel was right there to keep her safe.

9. Annie {Home of Malones}
    September 10, 2014 / 1:02 pm

Christina, I saw your post on IG yesterday and I didn't even have words. I was in shock. I can't believe you had to go through that. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It's so important to have awareness. Praying for your family as you come and find comfort in bringing Caroline home again. xoxo

10. Amanda {Kids and Cabernet}
    September 10, 2014 / 1:02 pm

Oh my goodness I'm shaking. I'm so sorry for what you all went through, but am so happy that you reacted when you heard her scream and because of that she's still with you all! xoxoxo

11. Erin
    September 10, 2014 / 1:06 pm

I can't even imagine going through something like that with my little one…bless your hearts!!! I prayed for all of you yesterday and am so thankful that Caroline is going to be okay!!! God bless you all!

12. PolkaDottyPlace
    September 10, 2014 / 1:08 pm

I've been thinking about your family and praying for little Caroline ever since I saw your post on Insta yesterday. I had never heard of anything like this before and am so thankful for your guardian angel Mom who was looking after your family that night. Tears were streaming as I read your account of that frightening night. I have a 15 month old and cannot imagine the terror you went through. Praise the Lord for quick responses, super parents and an amazing emergency response team. So thankful that everyone is alright. Hugs to y'all!!

13. Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
    September 10, 2014 / 1:13 pm

I am so so so sorry you and your husband had to go through that. I can't even imagine. Praise be to God for all his blessings! Thinking of you and lifting your family up in prayer.

14. April
    September 10, 2014 / 1:15 pm

I can't imagine the horror and pain you both went through. The Lord was definitely watching over her and I believe the Spirit urged you to respond. You all saved her life and oh how precious that life is!!

15. Ashley
    September 10, 2014 / 1:18 pm

So so so glad she is ok. I can't imagine having to go through that. Thank you God your precious gift is ok.

16. Kenzie @ Life in the Sunshine
    September 10, 2014 / 1:19 pm

Christina, I am so sorry that your family had to endure such an event! Reading this gives me chills, but I am so thankful that everything turned out to be okay in the end. I without a doubt know that you had an angel watching over your little family! Sending my thoughts, prayers, and love your way!

17. Lauren
    September 10, 2014 / 1:23 pm

This made me cry!! Wow! I cannot even imagine what that was like for you and Matt. SO SO SO thankful God stirred your heart to go check on her and that she is okay!! Praying for yall – that God would continue to give you peace and that Caroline would continue to be healthy and okay!

18. Kate
    September 10, 2014 / 1:25 pm

I had chills reading this. I can't even begin to imagine what you and Matt went through. Beyond scary!! Thank you for having strength to share! Sending prayers & hugs! xoxo

19. Katie @ A Beautiful Little Adventure.com
    September 10, 2014 / 1:29 pm

You have me in tears. I'm so so glad she is okay and you made it through the night. I can't imagine what you were going through. Much love.

20. Carrington {Momma Fussell}
    September 10, 2014 / 1:35 pm

I'm so glad she's okay! I can't even imagine. Praying for all three of y'all!www.lincsmomma.blogspot.com

21. Jenny
    September 10, 2014 / 1:35 pm

This is literally my worst fear. I am praying for the 3 of you.

22. Kate Sokolewicz
    September 10, 2014 / 1:44 pm

The tears were flowing as I read this. I think SIDS is every mom's worst fear. God, angels, your mom– they were all looking over y'all that night! I'll be praying for y'all in the upcoming days, trying to find peace after such a terrifying moment must be hard.

23. Dawn
    September 10, 2014 / 1:44 pm

I have a 4 year old who has survived cancer. I have spent way too many night on the children's floor. I have far too many pictures of my son in that gown. BUT my biggest parenting scare came when my daughter choked on her vomit. I am so glad Miss Caroline is okay. I am praying for her health and for your comfort.

24. Nikki
    September 10, 2014 / 1:44 pm

Oh my goodness, so scary! Thankful that she is okay!

25. Maran (HeyHawleywood)
    September 10, 2014 / 1:45 pm

ok sobbing at my desk. I know this must have been hard for you to write but it's so important to share and I know that I will definitely be doing not only infant CPR but more research now more than ever before Charlie comes. Reading about you calling 911 and rushing to meet the ambulance took me back to when Joe had his seizure. Totally different scenarios here but I will never forget the feeling watching him go lifeless and not knowing if he would be alright. With your own child I just cannot imagine. I know God and your Mom were there that night for you guys. I have not stopped thinking about you since your IG post. I will pray that you two can find some peace knowing this should be an isolated incident and your baby girl is healthy and safe. xoxoxoxoxo.

26. Playground Prepster
    September 10, 2014 / 1:50 pm

Thank you so much for the update. I cannot imagine how hard it was to write and make the experience even more real. I've been thinking and praying for you constantly. I cannot imagine the terror that seized you as you truly experienced a parents worst fear. My heart is with you all.

27. Meghan
    September 10, 2014 / 1:51 pm

You have me tearing up as I read this! Every parents' worst fear. I already jump up to every sound Noah makes and now I'm gonna jump even faster! So glad that she survived her SIDS attack and that you were prepared to give infant CPR!

28. Morgan Sparks
    September 10, 2014 / 1:53 pm

I'm sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way. I can't imagine what you went through last night. I was in tears just reading this. I'm so glad to hear that she is happy and healthy this morning.

29. Ashley {Word on the Streets}
    September 10, 2014 / 2:06 pm

I too was in tears reading your story. I know we have never met but sweet Caroline was in my prayers all day yesterday since your post. No mama should ever have to experience what you had to go through. God is so good! I'm so relieved to hear she is okay. Praying for healing for your family through this time!

30. Nat
    September 10, 2014 / 2:08 pm

I cannot even imagine what you went through and really appreciate you giving us an update because I know it couldn't have been easy to recap that night. I couldn't stop thinking about your story and signed my husband and myself up for a CPR class. So happy to hear that nothing is wrong with Caroline and she's back to her normal self. Sometimes our mommy instincts just know when something isn't right and you and Matt were so brave!!

31. BLovedBoston
    September 10, 2014 / 2:21 pm

Oh my gosh – I have tears in my eyes reading your story of yesterday – So happy to hear that nothing is wrong with sweet baby Caroline and she does indeed have a guardian angel that will always be looking after her!! Thank god for your quick response to her and the CPR that you were able to give her…sending lots of love and prayers your way!!

32. Toni :O)
    September 10, 2014 / 2:22 pm

Wow, my heart was in my throat reading this…the fear, OMG, I just cannot imagine. So glad this had a happy ending, you were meant to be up watching TV to save her that's for sure. Definitely Angel Mom watching over y'all!

33. Jo
    September 10, 2014 / 2:26 pm

Ugh. Girlfriend I am so sorry you've been through this terrifying experience. I am so thankful Caroline is ok- praise God for your healthy sweet family!! (And we ordered a Levana monitor last night after talkin about this, for peace of mind!!)

34. Kimberly
    September 10, 2014 / 2:30 pm

In tears reading this – because of you and your sweet baby girl, I'm signing up my husband and I for an infant CPR class. You always think it won't happen to you and this is absolutely terrifying. Praying and thanking God today for your little miracle. And FYI – we love our AngelCare monitor!

35. Luci
    September 10, 2014 / 2:32 pm

Sending thoughts and prayers your way! Such a scary thing. I am so glad she is okay.

36. Shannon
    September 10, 2014 / 2:42 pm

WOW! I'm so sorry you went through that. I can't imagine how terrifying that would be, every mother's worst nightmare! I'm so glad that you all were able to get to her and save her life!

37. Courtney W.
    September 10, 2014 / 2:43 pm

I truly appreciate the fact that you took time out of your stressful day to update everyone who was thinking of you and praying for you – you and your family were on my mind all day yesterday and I'm so, so glad to see that Caroline is back to normal self! I also appreciate the fact that you were open with this, as it's such a good reminder of the importance of knowing CPR and being prepared.

38. The Wanna-be Southern Belle
    September 10, 2014 / 2:49 pm

My gosh girl, I am balling!!! I just can't imagine!! I am so happy Caroline is back to her smiley self. You are now allowed to sleep with her until she is 20 with no judgement :)!! xoxo

39. Rae
    September 10, 2014 / 2:58 pm

I've read your blog for about a year now and wanted to reach out and let you know how much I've been thinking about you and your sweet baby. I have a daughter as well, and it is heart-breaking to think of this happening to anyone's family. I hope she continues to do well and you guys get some sleep! Being a mommy can be some of the scariest, thrilling, happiest and worrisome moments of your life — as you now know. Thank God for your guardian angel. Thanks for updating us.

40. Ashlee
    September 10, 2014 / 3:02 pm

I'm so so sorry you had to go through this, but so happy that it has a happy ending! Baby Caroline is one lucky girl to have her grandma Caroline as her angel! Good job to Matt for staying calm enough to start CPR!

41. Karra
    September 10, 2014 / 3:04 pm

Thank you for sharing your story, so grateful for our God. and so grateful Caroline is safe! I'm in total tears over this and just so happy things turned out okay, what a strong mama you are (your husband as well)!! This is so encouraging to new moms as well as any parent to know child CPR. Sending lots of hugs!!

42. Tess
    September 10, 2014 / 3:04 pm

I am in absolute tears of fright, fear, faith, and pure happiness that Caroline survived this. I can't imagine there are any words of comfort I can give you, but know that you will all be in my hearts as this becomes a VERY distant memory (hopefully soon!). Xo

43. Caroline
    September 10, 2014 / 3:11 pm

So glad she is ok!!!! Praise Jesus!

44. Dabay Villarin
    September 10, 2014 / 3:17 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this update, Christina. I've been a long time follower of your blog and when I saw the instagram yesterday, I was praying so hard for you and hoping for an update. I cried when I got to the middle of your story…picturing lights and sirens outside your home with your baby in a stretcher was traumatizing, I'm certain. I'm so happy to hear she's ok, please take care of yourselves and know you're being thought of here in California!

45. Kate
    September 10, 2014 / 3:22 pm

This isn't about me at all, but I am just sobbing. I am so sad for you, what you went through and what you're currently going through. Your mom is definitely Caroline's guardian angel. Your mom might not be present on earth, but she is most certainly a driving force in your and your little girls life. Praise Jesus for a Grandma's love!!

46. melissa
    September 10, 2014 / 3:22 pm

I am just so unbelievably glad that this story has a happy ending. That's a parent's worst nightmare. I'm so sorry for the scare you guys went through and hope only calm, healthy, happy days are ahead for you guys. xo

47. marisa
    September 10, 2014 / 3:29 pm

Christina, I can not even imagine what that must have felt like. My mom had to do the same for me when I was an infant as well, however she just happened to check on me only to find my purple and lifeless. Thankfully she had the training to save my life and I have been able to give her many more scares since then! Do you and Matt have a SIDS mat in her crib? The babies I was a nanny for had one, and thankfully it only went off when they scooted and shifted just so to where it couldn't detect a heartbeat. And therefore stopped mine. But that might put your mind at ease. I'll keep you all in my prayers!

48. the girl in the red shoes
    September 10, 2014 / 3:33 pm

I am shaking and crying while reading this. Praise the Lord that you responded to her and that she's okay! What a miracle. We serve such an amazing God!

49. Jennifer Dunn
    September 10, 2014 / 3:33 pm

I have chills reading this. Thank goodness everything is okay and I am going to hold my baby extra tight today <3

50. Pamela {Sequins and Sea Breezes}
    September 10, 2014 / 3:50 pm

OMG Christina. I cannot even imagine what you and Matt went through with Caroline. I am so unbelievably happy she's ok and that everything happened the way it did so you guys were able to rush her to the ER. I hope that you guys never have to go through anything as scary as this again and hopefully it will just be one of those stories you get to tell her b/f in the future 😉 As horrible as it is that you had to go through all of that at least there was nothing seriously wrong with Caroline. Thinking about you guys!<3, Pamelasequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

51. Nancy
    September 10, 2014 / 4:00 pm

I said a prayer for your family and especially sweet baby Caroline after I saw your instagram post. Now reading the terror you went through, wow. I just can't imagine. I'm so glad everything turned out well. I'll continue to pray for no more occurrences and that you and Matt can get some rest. <3

52. Mosey Prose
    September 10, 2014 / 4:13 pm

Was so upset all day yesterday after seeing your IG. Snuggled my baby so much extra and actually smiled and laughed every time he cried! Was so scared to go to sleep and checked on him more than usual last night. Your strength is amazing!!!!! So relieved for you all and happy to hear Caroline is perfectly healthy! I will continue to pray that you find peace back home

53. Cherish
    September 10, 2014 / 4:14 pm

I literally have tears in my eyes from reading your post. I cannot even imagine going through something so scary and traumatic! Thank goodness for the infant CPR class and your mommy intuition to check on her. I'm SO glad to hear she's safe, healthy and everything's okay. And even amidst being hooked up to wires she's still adorable and smiling, sweet girl. Sending hugs and prayers to all of you! xoxo

54. Hannah
    September 10, 2014 / 4:21 pm

Oh, my goodness, that is so scary!! Praise the Lord she is okay! I am in tears just reading this – I don't know how you held up during all that was going on. And praise the Lord she screamed and you had the thought to go in and check on her right at that moment. I am so glad she is healthy and back to her cheerful little self, but golly, that is terrifying! I will be keeping your sweet family in my prayers and praying safety and protection over you and all of the little babies! This is something I think all mamas are terrified of and a worry I am constantly praying over; at every peep [and not peep] I want to go in and check on my sleeping babe, now even more so! Thank the Lord that he is good and he has his hand upon us! Enjoy cuddling your sweet little Caroline!!!

55. AlessWS
    September 10, 2014 / 4:27 pm

I got shivers reading this, I am so thankful she is ok! I cannot imagine going through something like this and am so happy this turned out to have a happy ending for both of you. Much love and prayers to all three of you. xxx

56. Kalen
    September 10, 2014 / 4:38 pm

Holy smokes that is the scariest story. I am so thankful she is OK and it was an isolated incident. Very thankful for angels today!

57. Brandi
    September 10, 2014 / 4:47 pm

What a scary scary thing for all of you. How great that you and your hubby knew what to do to step into action. Those angels and God were watching over all of you!! Thank goodness she is ok!

58. Nina @ Flowers in my Hair
    September 10, 2014 / 4:57 pm

Oh my word! Praise the Lord.

59. Katharine @ SouthernBourbonMountains
    September 10, 2014 / 5:01 pm

I am so thankful that you were downstairs watching TV and not in your bed. God works in mysterious ways. I am so so so glad that she is okay and that the paramedics got there so fast. Keeping you all in my prayers as you try to regain some normalcy after this.

60. Whitney
    September 10, 2014 / 5:06 pm

My goodness…this is so scary. But so happy to hear a good update. I can't even imagine the feelings you guys were going through and hope I never can. I'm so glad you guys had the CPR class and that she let out that little squeal. Prayers for you guys!

61. rhojane
    September 10, 2014 / 5:24 pm

Oh my goodness, I have chills and tears in my eyes after reading that. How incredibly scary! I am so glad to hear she is OK, but what a terrifying situation. Keeping your family in my prayers!

62. WyoGirl
    September 10, 2014 / 5:41 pm

How scary…I'm so glad that everything turned out ok. My youngest is a couple weeks younger than Caroline and, eerily, we experienced the exact same thing the day we got home from the hospital. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

63. Mindy
    September 10, 2014 / 5:44 pm

Oh my gosh Christina, I was crying reading this!!! What a horrible ordeal you had to go through!!! I cannot even imagine. I am so so so glad Caroline is ok!!! I'll be thinking of you all and keeping your family in my prayers!

64. "B"
    September 10, 2014 / 5:44 pm

Prayers were answered in your house that night and so happy to hear Caroline is doing wonderfully and is happy and healthy. We had an emergency trip to the ER for choking and I think it scared about 10 years off my life. I cannot imagine having this happen. Tears streaming down my face in happiness for your family! And prayers you never ever have to experience this again!

65. amanda @ as the wine cork turns
    September 10, 2014 / 5:48 pm

i had chills the entire time reading this. oh my word, i am so happy caroline is okay! goodness gracious. praying for you and your family!

66. Caitlin G
    September 10, 2014 / 5:49 pm

I have been thinking of you guys nonstop and so happy to read this update and that Caroline is safe and healthy. I had tears and chills reading this post and can't even imagine the trauma you guys have gone through. Your mom is definitely watching over you, Caroline and Matt and I am so glad you guys had a good experience with the medics and hospital. Continue prayers to you guys as you try to get back to your "normal." XOXO

67. Stephanie/James
    September 10, 2014 / 6:25 pm

Oh Christina! So glad everything turned out ok. Praying for your family and so thankful you got to bring your love home with you xoxo

68. Ericka
    September 10, 2014 / 6:37 pm

I got chills and tears as I read this (and when I saw your initial Instagram post). I'm so relieved that Caroline is ok and you and Matt were there when you were. Caroline definitely has a guardian angel. I don't have kids yet, so I can only imagine what this was like for you. Still sending thoughts and prayers to Caroline and you and Matt!

69. Liane
    September 10, 2014 / 6:44 pm

I literally have goosebumps whilst sitting here typing this. I am so so so happy that everything turned out ok and that Caroline is safely at home. I cannot imagine how scary that night must have been for you xx

70. Jess Beer
    September 10, 2014 / 6:46 pm

So glad she is okay! Hug that sweet girl tight!

71. E. Erquitt
    September 10, 2014 / 6:49 pm

I sobbed reading this entire post (as well as the insta-update). I have been thinking about you all for several days and I am glad to hear that nothing came back with the tests even though that is 100000x more frustrating.

72. Jillian Manesh
    September 10, 2014 / 6:59 pm

wow that is absolutely terrifying! I am so sorry that you had to go through that — it sounds like you and matt did exactly what you should have done, and thank god your baby is okay! xoxo jillian

73. runtspickins
    September 10, 2014 / 7:28 pm

Oh my. I saw your IG post and didn't comment, but fervently prayed for your little one and your family. We have an 8 month old (first baby) and wow, I would have been terrified. I'm so glad you two were able to react quickly and I'm even more glad, of course, that Caroline is doing well. God is good!Runtruntspickins@yahoo.comwww.runtspickins.wordpress.com(If responding, please email or comment a blog post of mine.)

74. Christy
    September 10, 2014 / 7:52 pm

Oh, Christina! I'm so happy Miss Caroline is okay.

75. Laura | Our Life in the Queen City
    September 10, 2014 / 7:55 pm

Dearest friend, you are so brave to share this story and have undoubtedly saved lives by doing so. I am so proud of you and Matt and am so so thankful that the Lord was there with y'all Monday night. Love y'all so much and can't wait to cover miss Caroline in kisses oh so soon! xoxox

76. Cassie Lee @ Sage the Blog
    September 10, 2014 / 7:57 pm

OH MY GOSH. I can't even begin to image the things that you experienced during those few hours. Thank GOD for her safety. So happy she is OK.

77. Bekah Walsh
    September 10, 2014 / 8:01 pm

Christina – this is terrifying and I teared up just reading the first few paragraphs. I can't imagine how horrifying this was for you and Matt. I'm so relieved to hear she's recovered and grateful for the big God we serve.

78. Maria Portales
    September 10, 2014 / 8:13 pm

Thank you so much for the update. After I saw your picture on IG, I thought and prayed about your daughter. I will continue to pray for you and your family. I can't imagine what you guys went through and I'm so relieved that your daughter's tests came back normal.

79. Elizabeth Shiery
    September 10, 2014 / 8:26 pm

I too was brought to tears reading this! I am so thankful that you guys found her when you did! Thank you for taking the time to update. I'm sure it wasn't easy to recap in writing. I will be keeping y'all in my prayers, and praying that you especially feel peace and His presence!

80. Owen Ross Davis
    September 10, 2014 / 9:19 pm

holy cow sooo thankful she is ok! The Lord was watching over her for sure!

81. Margot
    September 10, 2014 / 9:41 pm

I am so sorry you had to endure this! How completely terrifying. Surely an angel was watching over your precious Caroline and thank God she is safe and healthy!

82. Paige Viollt
    September 10, 2014 / 9:51 pm

Oh my goodness! I literally had chills and my heart dropped as I was reading this! Praise God for his protection over her little life and giving you the instinct to check on her! So thankful she is ok!

83. Shelly Hardage-Wilkerson
    September 10, 2014 / 10:11 pm

OH MY GOSH, Christina! I come to your blog thinking this was a normal update on her and read the entire thing with my jaw dropped open. I don't even know what to say. 🙁 I am so glad she is okay, wow…….I don't even…….I'm sorry you had this scare happen and I'm so glad she's okay. Someone was definitely watching out for her, for sure! *hugs from Oregon*……wow.

84. mailynmykelle
    September 10, 2014 / 10:51 pm

I am so glad she is ok!I can only imagine what an awful experience that was. Thank God he was watching over her.

85. lillyg
    September 10, 2014 / 11:36 pm

My husband is a paramedic/fire fighter for the city of Orlando… I can only imagine being the parent in that type of scary situation… You and your sweet family will remain in my prayers. So thankful she is doing better!

86. Shayna @ The Fancy Yancey
    September 11, 2014 / 12:11 am

Oh Christina my heart hurts for you & Matt! I am so glad to hear that Caroline is doing better & is back to her happy, healthy self.

87. Lisa Loves John
    September 11, 2014 / 12:13 am

Christina – you and Matt are absolutely amazing… I am so thankful that Caroline is okay. God is watching over all of you for sure <3

88. Bryn House
    September 11, 2014 / 12:59 am

so glad to hear she is doing better! my heart aches that you had to go through that. So scary but thankfully you were able to respond and will pray for y'all.

89. megan
    September 11, 2014 / 1:14 am

Christina – I am so sorry you and Matt had to experience that! I cannot imagine how scary it must have been, and I am SO SO SO happy she is ok! You have someone (well, atleast 2 people) above looking out for y'all. 🙂

90. Katie {Miss Dixie}
    September 11, 2014 / 1:29 am

aww honey, what a scary experience!! i had chills reading this. it reminded me so much of Weeks' birth story (totally different scenario) but everyone was doing exactly what they needed to be doing in the case of an emergency (i still am not over that yet!) but Thank you God for such blessings and care! so glad your sweet girl is ok. xoxo.

91. Sarah
    September 11, 2014 / 1:40 am

Oh my goodness, how terrifying!! I totally just went and squeezed on my girls in their cribs! So glad she is okay, thank The Lord above for angels!!

92. DetroitDuchess
    September 11, 2014 / 2:32 am

I couldn't read this without crying. I am so glad that she is okay! I can't imaging how terrifying that must have been for you and am so glad that you were able to get to her in time. I will keep you and your sweet Caroline in my prayers.

93. Arielle
    September 11, 2014 / 2:37 am

literally cried the entire post. Praying for you, mama! Glad sweet Caroline is okay:)

94. Melissa Ann
    September 11, 2014 / 2:42 am

Oh my word! That must have been so frightening! I couldn't even imagine the anguish you all must have felt. I'm so glad everything turned out okay and she home now safe and sound. God bless!

95. nickeeschickee
    September 11, 2014 / 4:07 am

That must have been so terrifying. Oh my God. Thank God she is ok and back to her normal self.

96. Courtney [Sweet Turtle Soup]
    September 11, 2014 / 4:29 am

That is just the worst thing. I'm so so sorry it happened, but my gosh I'm so glad everything is okay. And, thank you so much for the reminder to hug our babes so tightly and to go with instinct.

97. Rehheh
    September 11, 2014 / 4:40 am

That must have been absolutely terrifying! I am so thankful that you and Matt were prepared with your baby CPR training. I always love your blog and enjoy following Caroline's moments and had tears streaming down my face reading this- I am so thankful and saying prayers for you and your family. You are simply amazing~ I was certified for CPR years ago and after reading this, will be signing up again- we all must be prepared to help save a life. Best wishes to you and your family and I believe in guardian angels and you have a great one watching over all of you!

98. K
    September 11, 2014 / 12:01 pm

I don't even know where to start. I'm in tears reading this! I am so so sorry that you had to go through this. As a Mother, I can't even imagine how terrifying this must and must still be. I'm so glad that this story has a happy ending. I'm seriously fighting the urge to leave work and go hug my sweet boy. Hope you guys are doing OK.

99. Sophi @ Simply Sophisticated Blog
    September 11, 2014 / 1:54 pm

I had tears reading this! I can't even imagine how scary that was! I don't have kids but we went through something similar with our dog, and I lost it during that event. If it was my child, I don't know what I'd do. I'm so thankful she is doing well! Prayers for you, your hubby, and Caroline!

100. Kelly Elizabeth
    September 11, 2014 / 2:10 pm

Christina! I'm so glad Baby Caroline is okay! Thank goodness you and Matt were awake and had that parent's intuition to check on her. Thank goodness she is alright, and EMS got to your house so quickly also. I can't even imagine what you guys must of gone through that night. Praying for you and thinking about your family! 🙂

101. Katie
    September 11, 2014 / 2:23 pm

Wow, you are amazing for sharing your story. I admit I am now scared more than ever for our little one to sleep when he comes (truth) but at the same time I'm really glad and thankful to have read this. CPR class is so important. I'm so glad Caroline is doing OK, bless her and you guys and your momma!

102. Katie
    September 11, 2014 / 2:41 pm

I found your blog when I was pregnant, and it isn't on my reader, but I will randomly check in on y'all from time to time because we had our babies near to each other. I just happened to look this morning, and saw this post. My heart absolutely breaks for what you went through, and I am so happy for all of you that sweet Caroline is okay. Now that I am a mother, the scariest thing in the world to me is something happening to my baby. I cannot even begin to imagine the panic and pain you must have felt. I will keep you all in my prayers, and hope that Caroline continues to be the happy and healthy baby she is!

103. Ashley Williams
    September 11, 2014 / 5:20 pm

I'm so glad to read a good update on sweet Caroline! She has been on my mind ever since your IG post. My heart dropped so many times reading your post! So grateful for God's amazing grace!!

104. Cayte Brown
    September 11, 2014 / 6:07 pm

Thank goodness for angles. She looks so happy in the hospital outfit 🙂 So glad everything is better!

105. Camille
    September 11, 2014 / 6:30 pm

Oh Christina. I am so sorry. I had tears running down my face reading your instagram post, and this post. I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must have been for you guys. Thank God for our guardian angels. My husband and I have gone back and forth about signing up for an infant CPR class for our little one on the way, and this just settled that discussion. There is no way that we cannot take that class. Thank you so much for sharing your story and I'm praying for your beautiful family.

106. Mary Elizabeth Zaldivar
    September 11, 2014 / 7:54 pm

I read this entry in the middle of the night while breastfeeding and was too terrified to go back to sleep! How awful for you all. I am so happy that she is ok!

107. Nicole-Lynn
    September 11, 2014 / 8:05 pm

Christina, I am so sorry this happend to y'all. I cried reading this post and seeing your IG post. I could not imagine how scary that was for all of you. Thank God you followed your mommy instincts and checked on Caroline when you did. Your husband was so brave and immediately jumped into protective mode for his sweet girl! I pray that Caroline will continue to stay healthy and no more frightening scares like this happen for you. I have to admit after each moan or little cry coming from Ava's room last night I jumped up to check on her after reading this. You have also lit a fire in my husband and I to make taking a CPR class top priority soon. Thanks for having the courage to share your story.. I know that must have been difficult. Thinking of you. Enjoy your weekend ahead with your sweet family XO

108. The Grass Skirt Blog
    September 11, 2014 / 8:24 pm

Oh my goodness. I cannot even imagine how scary that must have been for you. I am so happy that she is doing better!The Mini Skirt

109. Sarah
    September 11, 2014 / 8:25 pm

I am so sorry sweet Caroline and your family had to go through all this. I can't even imagine what you were feeling. Thank you so much for sharing, it has really opened my eyes to how important it is for parents to take infant cpr classes. Even more important though, how amazing our mommy instincts are. You were spot on and I hope you know what an amazing mommy and protector of your little girl you and your husband are. I have two little girls, 2 yrs and 11mo and my instincts have been right every.singe.time. I truly believe as mothers we have a special connection to our children that goes beyond logic. I'm saying extra prayers for all of you today. Caroline has a VERY special guardian angel. 🙂 God Bless all of you.

110. rachel
    September 11, 2014 / 10:23 pm

Oh sweet mama I am sitting here with tear-filled eyes aching for you all that you had to experience that, but rejoicing that God is SO good and your sweet Caroline is okay. Continued prayers for you all and here's hoping all of you are doing better. Much love!

111. Kimberley T
    September 11, 2014 / 10:42 pm

Oh my god, so scary. I can't imagine going through something like that but I'm so glad she turned out to be fine, thoughts with your family and their continued health

• Janice Free
      September 12, 2014 / 12:05 am

I don't know why your blog has popped up. I only follow one. God is good. There has to be a reason I'm reading about sweet Caroline. I'm caring for my granddaughter who just turned one. My son is a single father with custody. I am now going to call and sign up for CPR classes. It's been a long time since I took it…my 30 something kids were babies. I will pray for Caroline to continue to do well. God Bless.

112. Morgan S.
    September 12, 2014 / 2:12 pm

Oh my God I started crying reading this…my Farrah is 4 months old. I would just die. I am so glad you had the instinct to check on her….what a nightmare to hold a lifeless baby. I am so happy she is doing just fine, laughing and smiling as normal. I'm going to go check on my little napper right now!

113. Jessi @ Jessi's Design
    September 12, 2014 / 2:34 pm

Oh Christina I cannot keep from crying and literally had to excuse myself from my office. Not what I expected to see this morning from your blog at all. I am 1000 times over praying and thanking God for you all and especially baby C. Sending lots of love this weekend!! xoxo

114. Megan Parker
    September 12, 2014 / 3:06 pm

Oh no! I serioulsy had tears streaming down my face in my office. I'm soo glad she's ok and I will keep you guys in my prayers. So sorry you guys had to experience that! Prayers and love!!

115. Sarah O
    September 12, 2014 / 6:10 pm

What a nightmare! I'm so happy to hear Caroline is okay. How lucky she is to have such wonderful parents. Lots of prayers and love from the blogging world to the family.

116. Mariangie
    September 12, 2014 / 8:19 pm

I have tears in my eyes reading this. Oh my goodness, what a traumatic experience for your whole little family (I can only imagine how the grandparents are feeling). And I am thanking God that you both we watching tv. That guardian angel was working overnight that night. I am putting you guys in my prayersfor protection and that this does not happen again.

117. rox
    September 12, 2014 / 9:33 pm

So grateful to you for sharing this, and so happy that sweet Caroline is just fine! God is good!

118. McKenzie Brown
    September 13, 2014 / 2:11 am

I just recently started following your blog and have loved the pictures and stories about sweet Caroline! I Cried my eyes out reading this. I'm not a mommy yet, but I can only imagine this is one of the scariest things a person can go through. I am so encouraged by your ability to lean in to the Lord even through such a scary time. I will take baby CPR classes as soon as I find out I'm expecting, that's amazing ya'll were able to assist in that way! Praying for your sweet family!

119. Jordan Cole
    September 13, 2014 / 4:10 pm

Sweet friend, you all reacted remarkably. Taking CPR was such a smart decision on your part, it's remarkable how much we have needed it at the daycare that I work at. It ranges from little to big things, it's just so valuable to know it and you two are such a testimony of that. I am so glad that your little one is safe and sound. Ben and I read this story together and it had us both in tears, I cannot imagine the pain and fear you all were feeling in that moment. Continuing to send prayers and love your way!

120. Laura {happily ever} Parker
    September 14, 2014 / 4:22 am

This is so frightening! I'm so glad that you were able to hear her little cry and get her the care she needed quick enough. As I sit with my three week old in my lap I just cannot imagine. But I already say thank you for alerting me to know CPR for children. I immediatley youtubed it!! So glad she is doing better. Xoxo

121. Bitz
    September 14, 2014 / 4:55 am

Oh my goodness…thank the Lord that you were able to get to her in time! You are an excellent mother, Christina! I don't know what I would do if that had happened to Sofia. I will hug her extra tight. Prayers are coming your way!

122. Samantha
    September 14, 2014 / 8:41 pm

How scary! Reading your story literally gave me goosebumps! I would have been freaking out as well. Thankfully, you all knew what to do & got help! Prayers.

123. Bevin
    September 15, 2014 / 12:20 am

I can't imagine the fear you felt that night. Tears are running down my face — so thankful your sweet girl is safe. Sending love and prayers to you all!

124. Julie
    September 15, 2014 / 2:32 am

I don't know if you read every comment, but first Praise God she's ok!! Second, what a gorgeous baby girl. Last but definitely not least, our youngest came home on an apnea monitor as she was diagnosed with apnea in the NICU. Another NICU mom gifted us with a monitor called The Angel Care Monitor. It has a sensor pad that goes under the baby's mattress and registers if they stop breathing and an alarm will sound. We used that in conjunction with the hospital's apnea monitor and many times the Angel Care Monitor would actual alarm before the hospital monitor. As she grew and we were assured she had outgrown her apnea and didn't need the hospital monitor anymore, I still had peace of mind due to the ACM. I know there are some concerns about babies getting ahold of the cords but we set it up so she couldn't reach the cords ever. I would totally recommend that monitor for you.

125. Amy
    September 19, 2014 / 3:42 pm

Thank the Lord she is okay and you were awake and responded to her cry! I can't even imagine how scary that must have been. I am just so thankful she is okay. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

126. Timsha Coleman
    September 21, 2014 / 4:17 pm

I saw your post on Instagram but just now reading this. I am and sitting here in tears thinking what would I would do if I saw my own sweet baby Caroline in that same situation. It is so awful to even imagine. So thankful that she is ok, and I'm still praying for your sweet family and peace for you.

127. Lexilooo
    September 24, 2014 / 1:28 am

oh my goodness! I missed your post on instagram, but am so glad that she's okay! keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

128. Katie
    September 25, 2014 / 3:46 pm

I am bawling my eyes out as I read this terrifying post with my 2 month old son sleeping on my chest. I can't even imagine that experience. SO scary to have picked her up just for her to go completely limp. OMG I don't even want to think about it. That for sure was your mom watching over you all that night when you and Matt went in to check on her. Ughh this tears my heart. I really am so so glad she is ok and that you were there for her when she needed you most.

129. Allie Key
    October 3, 2014 / 3:02 pm

Reading your story had me crying as I can't imagine having to ever go through this nightmare. I realize it probably wasn't easy to write this and reliving this terrible night over again but as a mother these warnings are eye opening and I appreciate you sharing your story. So grateful to you and your family that everything turned out the way that they did. I believe your sweet girl had an angel watching her as well.

130. ShutUpDuffy
    October 22, 2014 / 1:52 pm

i've been following and decided it was time to stop lurking. this just brought me to my knees. as a mother to a 3 year old and 4 month old, this is always in the back of my mind. if this can bring you any sense of peace, let me tell you this- after i read this, my husband and i took an infant cpr class. we took it before our first was born but decided we needed a refresher. i convinced a bunch of my friends to do this as well or to at least watch a youtube video on it. you not only saved your daughter's life, but you may have saved others that were emotionally affected that decided to take action and be better prepared. so happy she's thriving.

131. Leigh Powell Hines
    January 3, 2015 / 4:12 pm

This is such a miracle. I missed all of this when it happened. I am so sorry this all happened to you, but it is such a blessing you were there.

132. Sparkles and Lattes
    September 16, 2015 / 11:04 pm

I am new to your blog, but after reading what is going on with Thomas, I started browsing your blog more. I am so sorry for everything that has happened to your sweet family over the last year. A scare of SIDS, Thomas' eyes, father's cancer, etc. My heart breaks for your family. You are incredibly strong and reminds me to be careful and watch my babies (twin girls). Thanks for the reminder and sharing your story.