Counting Our Blessings {Again}

Well we can’t seem to catch a break these days. The trauma and expense of Caroline’s scary incident last month is still lingering and just yesterday we had another big scare – Matt and Caroline were involved in a car accident.

We all leave the house at the same time in the mornings. Matt takes a left out of our driveway for daycare and I take a right. I was halfway to work when I got the call…”I’ve been in a terrible accident. Hurry. The car flipped.” That’s all the information I had. I immediately did a very unsafe u-turn and floored it all the way back towards our neighborhood. The flood of thoughts rushed through my head. Was Caroline in the car or had she already been dropped off? Who’s car flipped? Is my baby okay? Is Matt okay? Is my baby okay? Why aren’t these cars moving fast enough in front of me? IS MY BABY OKAY?

I arrived to the scene, blowing past yelling policemen who had attempted to block the street and the first thing I saw was Caroline’s carrier sitting on the sidewalk. There were parents huddled around her.  I threw my car in park before coming to a complete stop and more policemen were yelling at me to “stay back”. Yeah right. I blew past them and rushed to my daughter. The medics stopped me and said I wouldn’t be able to take her out of the car seat until she had been evaluated. Matt and I hugged while I of course cried. He somehow managed to remain calm. That’s when I noticed there was another person involved in the accident.

Flipped over on the sidewalk was a white 1996 Isuzu Rodeo. Wedged between the driver side of the car and cement were long locks of beautiful blonde hair. Everyone at the scene expected the worst as the firemen were desperately trying to get to the trapped driver. I lost it and begged Matt to start praying with me right then and there for this girl. That’s exactly what we did. After what felt like hours they were able to get the visibly shaken 19 year old girl out of the car without a scratch. Not one scratch. The police said it was a miracle and I knew there was no doubt about that. Her dad arrived moments later.

The accident happened right in the middle of morning rush hour traffic. Matt had just turned off our street and was traveling down a very busy road when the girl attempted to quickly cut across 4 lanes of traffic (one of those lanes being Matt’s). Matt t-boned her, her car flipped, his airbag deployed, he hit her again and then smashed into a telephone pole. Caroline didn’t make a peep. Panicking that she may have been knocked unconscious, Matt kicked open his jammed door and ran around the truck to Caroline. When he opened her door she just looked at him puzzled. He said the drivers stuck in traffic surrounding the accident looked absolutely horrified as he pulled the car seat out of his smoking truck and many people stopped to help. Several parents jumped out when they saw the car seat and offered blankets. One of my bible study leaders also happened to pass by and stopped. Even two teachers at Caroline’s school stopped at the scene. There was an outpouring of love and concern. We needed that in those moments.

After the vehicles were loaded onto the tow trucks we immediately took Caroline to the doctor to get checked out. She was totally fine but the doctor instructed us to give her some Tylenol in case she was a little sore from the impact. We also took Matt to the doctor for his minor pains and then spent the rest of the day together at home.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers on Instagram. Although we seem to have a lot on our plate these days we are unbelievably grateful for those guardian angels who continue to watch out for our family. Without a shadow of a doubt the Lord wrapped his arms of protection around Matt’s truck yesterday morning. And for that we are eternally grateful.

Now I’m going to be a mom for a second and remind you all:
1. Please don’t text and drive,
2. Always wear your seat belt and
3. Give your family a hug and exchange “I love you’s” before you leave the house each day!

*Note: Matt was wearing his seat belt and was not distracted when the accident happened.

Facebooktwitterpinterestinstagrambloglovin

1. Cassie Lee @ Sage the Blog
    October 29, 2014 / 1:16 pm

PHEW. So thankful AGAIN for your daughter and your husband's safety. God is really looking out for you all.

2. Daisy
    October 29, 2014 / 1:20 pm

I am so glad this had a good ending. I'm sure you are already on it, but don't forget to replace Caroline's car seat. I've read that when you toss the old one you should rip the lining off, cut the straps out of the seat/off the base and make it totally un-useable so no one else gets ahold of it and tries to use it. The good news is the insurance coverage has to cover a new seat. And if you've already taken care of it, my apologies for the Mom-reminder!

3. LHWinstead
    October 29, 2014 / 1:24 pm

Wow! So scary!! I am so thankful that all of you are okay. Another reminder of God's hand over your precious family's life. Very good reminders too!!

4. Cayte Brown
    October 29, 2014 / 1:32 pm

So glad that everyone is ok! It truly sounds like a miracle from above! Hog those babes extra tight tonight!

5. Alex Messina @ Ali Rose
    October 29, 2014 / 1:37 pm

So glad everyone involved was okay and not hurt. You certainly have some wonderful angels watching over you all. What a blessing, indeed. Praying for you all.

6. Caitlyn {Home Sweet Ruby}
    October 29, 2014 / 1:37 pm

Wow I can't even believe what y'all have been through lately! I am so thankful no one was seriously hurt, the pictures look like it could have been so much worse. God definitely has big plans for Caroline and your sweet family!

7. K
    October 29, 2014 / 1:41 pm

I can't even imagine. I'm sitting here in tears thinking of the two of you having to deal with something else right now. I am so SO glad that everyone is OK. It's so scary to think that anything can happen each day. Thankfully you have that guardian angel. Someone is definitely looking out for you guys upstairs!

8. Maran (HeyHawleywood)
    October 29, 2014 / 1:45 pm

Wow Mama. That is so scary. I am so so so happy that all involved were safe. YOU are the strong one for being put through these situations and how you handle them. Extra hugs to baby Caroline today.

9. Jessica
    October 29, 2014 / 1:45 pm

Good Lord, sweet girl. You guys have DEFINITELY been through more than your share of scares in the last few weeks. Once again, so, so glad that everyone is ok. Especially sweet Caroline. She is one resilient little babe:) And of course, glad to hear that Matt is alright as well. Goodness. Jesus has certainly been watching over you guys!!!As a side note and additional PSA: Be sure you purchase another car seat. I'm sure your pediatrician told you that – or you already know it yourself – but just in case! Car seats aren't considered safe after an accident!

10. Jess Beer
    October 29, 2014 / 1:47 pm

OMG, I'm so glad everyone is ok! Your mom is a guardian angel for sure. Hug that sweet girl tight!

11. April
    October 29, 2014 / 1:52 pm

That is so scary and so glad that all involved were ok, especially your sweet baby!

12. BLovedBoston
    October 29, 2014 / 1:53 pm

Christina – I'm so happy to hear that everyone involved is okay!! Even more amazing that the girl didn't have a scratch on her. Isn't it crazy that you could be doing everything right and still not be safe on the road because someone else isn't as cautious as you!! Regardless – thank God Matt and Caroline are okay!!

13. A Life Without Mofongo
    October 29, 2014 / 1:57 pm

I'm glad everyone is ok. God Bless your family. I was horrified reading this. XOXO

14. Caroline {Virginia Sweet}
    October 29, 2014 / 2:00 pm

So glad everyone is OK. The outpouring of love that huddled around your family brought tears to my eyes. You have been through the ringer but just remember that we are only given what we can handle. My thoughts are with you and your hubby and little love today.

15. Courtney
    October 29, 2014 / 2:00 pm

I've read your blog for a while, but never commented. Oh my goodness. This is the second time I've cried this morning, the first being reading about sweet Caroline's incident of SIDS that she survived. I can't imagine going through all this in such a short time, but WOW–God is Good. Thank GOD everyone is okay. Praying for you all, and that good times are ahead!

16. Monica Siembieda
    October 29, 2014 / 2:07 pm

Oh my gosh!!!!! I'm so glad everyone is ok!!! That is terrifying. Keep us updated on how Caroline and Matt are feeling!! I'll be keeping you guys in my prayers. <3

17. Laura Wyatt
    October 29, 2014 / 2:07 pm

Not going to lie: I just lost it, seeing the picture of Matt and Caroline. I'm so so so thankful that everyone is ok. Call if you need anything AT ALL! Love you!

18. Shayna @ The Fancy Yancey
    October 29, 2014 / 2:12 pm

Ugh… Lump in my throat while reading this. I am so glad that Caroline, Matt & the other young girl were all ok!! The good Lord really did have his arms around each of them!

19. Meredith
    October 29, 2014 / 2:13 pm

Sooo sooo glad that Matt and Caroline are fine, God was definitely watching out for everyone involved.

20. Sara Elizabeth
    October 29, 2014 / 2:18 pm

HUGS!!! Can I just tell you how much I love your heart that you started praying for the other driver in your worst hours?! Beautiful heart, sweet girl. Glad everyone is okay!!!

21. Caley-Jade Rosenberg
    October 29, 2014 / 2:20 pm

So glad they are both ok – prayers being answered again x

22. Annie {Home of Malones}
    October 29, 2014 / 2:26 pm

geez gal. I missed this on instagram. I'm so sorry for your sweet little family, but so glad everyone is home safe and sound. I can't even imagine the panic when you received that phone call from Matt. xoxo

23. "B"
    October 29, 2014 / 2:43 pm

This is one of my worst fears being in an accident with my babies in the car! So happy that Matt and Caroline were a-okay and that the driver of the other car was too! I cannot imagine getting that phone call! Someone upstairs is surely watching over your family!

24. Bri Jackson
    October 29, 2014 / 2:46 pm

Oh my goodness! Glad everyone is okay!

25. Sarah O
    October 29, 2014 / 2:47 pm

Goodness this is awful! So glad to hear that everyone is okay and you got to decompress at home. I think you have had enough scares in the last couple of months to last you a lifetime.

26. Ericka
    October 29, 2014 / 2:53 pm

So glad your husband and baby girl are safe! And the other driver. You definitely have guardian angels watching over your family <3

27. Hanging with the Hirsts
    October 29, 2014 / 2:54 pm

Cannot believe everyone involved was okay – especially the young girl! The Lord was definitely looking out for everyone involved and He has been protecting your family a lot lately! So glad Caroline and Matt weren't hurt.

28. Sarah Emily
    October 29, 2014 / 3:09 pm

Oh my goodness! I could not make it through this post without shedding a few tears. I am so so so glad that your family is okay! Better things will be coming your way. Stay strong girl!Sarahcoffeeandglitter14.blogspot.com

29. Amanda
    October 29, 2014 / 3:16 pm

Oh my gosh, thank the Lord for answered prayers. I am so happy your precious baby girl and hubby are safe. What a miracle for the 19 year old girl too. A guardian angel was definitely watching out for everyone in that situation.

30. Jo
    October 29, 2014 / 3:16 pm

Oh bless your heart! I'm so sorry your family went through another scary situation : ( I'm so glad Matt and Caroline, and the other driver, are all safe and sound!

31. Nina @ Flowers in my Hair
    October 29, 2014 / 3:18 pm

Man! It's been a rough season for you guys and I am just reading about it. Praying for you all.

32. Jillian Manesh
    October 29, 2014 / 3:33 pm

omg so scary! i am SO happy that everyone is okay!

33. Natasha
    October 29, 2014 / 3:34 pm

I'm constantly reminded how much God is watching over us and I think even more so with Caroline!! So happy EVERYONE was OK in what could have otherwise been a horrible situation…praying for you friend! OXOX

34. Dabay Villarin
    October 29, 2014 / 3:37 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about this horrible accident, especially coming off the whirlwind scare you guys just had! Sending prayers your way, and happy to hear everyone's safe.

35. Justine Ciemny
    October 29, 2014 / 3:39 pm

God is good!Justinewww.lifeasabaltimoregirl.blogspot.com

36. Emily
    October 29, 2014 / 3:47 pm

So happy to hear your husband and baby were okay! What a scary thing to happen!

37. kristinleighhh
    October 29, 2014 / 3:52 pm

So happy to hear that everyone is okay!

38. Hannah
    October 29, 2014 / 3:59 pm

Oh my goodness. How scary for all of you. Praise the Lord that everyone was okay! I would be holding them so much tighter these days [I'm sure you are]! So glad everyone is fine.

39. Angelica Louis
    October 29, 2014 / 4:04 pm

Praying for you and your family! You are one strong momma! xoxo

40. Brandi
    October 29, 2014 / 4:13 pm

Thank the good Lord and those amazing guardian angels watching over your family!! Thank goodness everyone is ok!

41. Brittany Fry @ The 26th of August
    October 29, 2014 / 4:17 pm

OMG I just got chills and tears in my eyes reading every part of this! So thankful you are all okay and God was there to protect everyone!!!!!!

42. alysalovely.com
    October 29, 2014 / 4:34 pm

God is SO good!

43. Darcy Potter
    October 29, 2014 / 4:38 pm

I can't even imagine having this happen! So glad everyone involved was not severely injured and that your husband and baby girl are safe and sound. Blessings and hugs, Darcy

44. Lisa Loves John
    October 29, 2014 / 4:42 pm

I'm so happy Matt and Caroline are safe!! God is most certainly looking out!

45. Bitz
    October 29, 2014 / 4:46 pm

My goodness! Thank the Lord that both of them are safe!

46. Katie @ A Beautiful Little Adventure.com
    October 29, 2014 / 4:48 pm

Oh my….such a scare! You had me crying…again. It's been quite the journey for you lately. Much love.

47. Kate
    October 29, 2014 / 4:49 pm

So relieved to hear everyone is okay. Praying that you don't have anymore scares for a very, very long time!! xo

48. Meghan
    October 29, 2014 / 4:59 pm

Omg could more crazy things happen to your family? I'm so glad everyone is okay!

49. runtspickins
    October 29, 2014 / 5:02 pm

Oh.my.gosh.That seriously brought tears to my eyes! I saw your IG post first, so I knew the girl in the other car was okay as well, but reading about the blonde hair and the trapped girl, ah. I am so so so glad that people stopped to help! It seems like nowadays people are more inclined to just turn their heads because they're busy/late to work/not their problem/etc. It sounds like you live a great community. Reading how everyone stopped as they watched your husband pull the car seat from the vehicle… ah, you have a way with words girl. I am SO glad that everyone was okay! GOD IS GOOD.Runtruntspickins@yahoo.comwww.runtspickins.wordpress.com(If responding, please email or comment a blog post of mine.)

50. Katie
    October 29, 2014 / 5:04 pm

wow my heart breaks for you all. I can't IMAGINE getting that phone call. Reading this brought tears to my eyes and my heart felt so heavy. SO SO glad everyone involved is ok.

51. Jennifer Miller
    October 29, 2014 / 5:11 pm

Oh my goodness! Y'all are indeed blessed… Thank you for sharing your life & faith with us! So glad everyone is safe….and has amazing guardian angels! Hope you can get some sleep soon too.

52. P!nky
    October 29, 2014 / 5:59 pm

oh my gosh lady, I'm crying reading your post because I can't even begin to imagine how scared everyone involved was and how scared you must have been as a mother. Praise God that no one was injured worse than they were, PRAISE HIM! <3 and thoughts to you and your family!

53. Sarah Walters
    October 29, 2014 / 6:05 pm

Again, praising the Lord for His grace and hedge of protection that was surrounding that truck and the other driver's car. You've had a tough few months lady…so glad everyone is safe. God is so good! Praying that things calm down for you guys! Bless your heart momma, what a journey it's been!

54. Crystal
    October 29, 2014 / 6:45 pm

Wow. God was definitely protecting your precious husband and babygirl! Glad they are both safe and sound.

55. Shannon @ Sweet Tea Sippin' on Mayberry
    October 29, 2014 / 8:42 pm

So glad the Good Lord was watching over your baby girl and husband!

56. glitzglamglutenfree.com
    October 29, 2014 / 8:50 pm

Omigosh what an absolutely terrifying phone call to get and horrifying experience overall! What a true miracle that your husband and baby and the other driver all weren't harmed. God was definitely watching over them!

57. Paige Viollt
    October 29, 2014 / 9:01 pm

Seriously, praise Jesus that everyone involved in the accident is OK! You and Matt sure have had quite the journey lately. Praising God for his infinite grace and protection over your family.

58. Amanda Raymor
    October 29, 2014 / 9:16 pm

Oh my gosh, you're family has been through so much the past few weeks! I'm so glad everyone was okay 🙂 You most definitely have some amazing guardian angels wrapping their wings around you! http://www.chasingdreamsandcatchinglife.blogspot.com

59. Paige
    October 29, 2014 / 9:50 pm

I"m so glad everyone was ok.

60. Lily Grace
    October 29, 2014 / 10:37 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I am so happy that everything was okay. It's crazy how in a split second anything can happen. God Bless you and your lovely family!Lily Graceonedayatatimelily.blogspot.com

61. Shelly Hardage-Wilkerson
    October 29, 2014 / 10:55 pm

How scary! I'm so glad no major injuries happened with anyone. I assume that girl was texting…..she's lucky she didn't do more damage to anyone, or anything. I can't imagine what was going through your head on the way there. Yikes! Hope Matt and Caroline aren't sore from that. Jeez…..What a time you guys have had lately. 🙁

62. Mary Leigh
    October 30, 2014 / 2:40 am

Wow! So crazy and scary. Incredible that everyone was okay!

63. PostgradPrep
    October 30, 2014 / 12:11 pm

Oh my goodness! I am glad that everyone is ok! That is so scary! I will be praying for your family and the young girl's family who I am sure are also very shaken.

64. Morgan Sparks
    October 30, 2014 / 1:38 pm

Oh my goodness, what a scary situation! I'm so glad that you husband, sweet baby, and the driver of the other car are all ok. Your family has an amazing guardian angel looking after you all!

65. Sonja
    October 30, 2014 / 6:03 pm

I'm so glad everyone is okay! I get SO mad at other drivers visibly texting or looking at their phone while driving. It infuriates me!! Y'all definitely have angels following you! 🙂

66. Kelly
    October 30, 2014 / 6:46 pm

Thanking God for that miracle!!!! Oh my goodness, oh my goodness!!!! I can only imagine your distress. Thank you, Jesus, for being there with all three of them involved. This has been such a stormy season for you but you have managed everything with such grace and faithfulness through it all. SO GRATEFUL things turned out so well despite the circumstances!!!!

67. Bekah Walsh
    October 30, 2014 / 8:10 pm

oy! yes, the bad always seems to come in bundles. I hope this is the last of that bundle for you…but so grateful all have their lives!

68. Jordan - Queen of LA!
    October 31, 2014 / 6:08 am

i am so so glad everyone in your family is safe. thank god.

69. Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren
    October 31, 2014 / 3:57 pm

So glad everyone is safe. xoxo!!

70. rox
    October 31, 2014 / 10:39 pm

OH my goodness! I am so sorry to hear this…but so THANKFUL that God protected your loves! Hoping for a stress-free rest of y'alls lives! Y'all have been through enough already to last a life time! 🙂