I can’t even begin to describe the many ways this second pregnancy has been different from my first. It literally feels like I peed on a stick yesterday and woke up this morning buried in my Bump Nest pillow to little arms and legs jabbing out of the sides of my belly. Matt helps me roll out of bed and I grunt as my feet hit the floor. When did this belly get so enormous? I walk past the mirror on the way to pee and barely recognize myself. I pretend my thighs aren’t rubbing together.
Caroline begins calling for da-da. She’s up and the reminder that I’m carrying our second child quickly fades away as we begin our busy routine for the day. Seconds before Matt and Caroline head out the door I throw bottles in Caroline’s bag, a peanut butter sandwich in Matt’s briefcase and Tupperware containers and fruit snacks in my bag. As I load my brand new purse I frown at the amount of crushed puffs that are scattered about and gag a little bit when I discover a half eaten cheese stick. Under a sea of toys, pacifiers and crumbs I find our 12 week ultrasound photos of Thomas and I get a pang of mommy guilt thinking about how none of the 48 ultrasound photos of Caroline ever came close to the opportunity for wrinkles. They are safely tucked behind a protective sheet in a monthly scrapbook, complete with feelings, stories and updates. I tell Thomas I love him and promise myself not to ever let him feel like the “second child” and scurry out the door with a tumbler of half-caf coffee.
As the elevator climbs to the 24th floor of my building I notice an older woman smiling at me. I say good morning and she responds with “how far along?” I panic and without Matt there to save me per usual I reply “More than half way! It’s a boy. We’re naming him Thomas. He’s our second. Our first is a little girl and they’ll be 14 months apart. I know, we’re crazy, but we’re excited!” and hope I’ve answered all of her questions in the last 8 seconds of the ride. More mom guilt. How the hell do I not remember how far along I am? With Caroline I could tell you how many hours pregnant I was and also how many days I had left to go. The second I get to my desk I decide to check my bump apps. Passwords expired, I make all new accounts and am excited to learn a few minutes later that Thomas is now the size of an eggplant which explains the dance parties in my belly at 3 am. I reminisce how much I looked forward to the day of the week that my vegetable would change during my last pregnancy…
While I may not have elaborate nursery plans, a going home outfit purchased, washed and packed for the hospital or a journal filled with letters to our baby, our love for this little man is just as strong as our love for his sister. We are beyond grateful for this miracle and have been tremendously blessed with another easy and healthy pregnancy. And although we still have worries about being good parents, sharing our attention between two, paying for daycare, and managing a healthy work/life balance (all while trying to keep some focus on our marriage too), we are taking this journey one step at a time together.
- Sleep: Good, but only if I’m in my own bed with my Bump Nest pillow.
- Movement: So much more this time around than with Caroline. She always made me worried that something was wrong. However, Thomas likes to compete for the limelight every second he gets.
- Nursery: We ordered a second crib for the nursery! Since the minis will be sharing a room we decided to get a matching crib. Thankfully PBK was offering a huge discount on cribs last weekend and I had a stack of coupons and enough gift cards left over from my last baby shower to cover the entire purchase!
- Cravings: carbs (bagels, french fries, etc.), orange juice, breakfast items, Shirley Temples and any kind of dessert (ice cream, cookies, candy, etc.) these days.
- Symptoms: I’m saving up all my complaints for the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy, but the heartburn and itchy belly is no joke this time around.
- Missing: Purchasing/wearing clothes in my pre-pregnancy size. I got the cutest Lilly dress in my Easter basket from my MIL that pains me to see hanging in my closet.
- Best Moments: Sharing pregnancy with my sister, Easter and looking forward to getting home this weekend to see my family!
- Weight: Up 13 pounds and feeling every bit of it.