Top Shows to Binge Watch

Scary Mommy recently published the article The 20 Best Shows for New Moms to Binge Watch and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. These days I spend a lot of time on the couch feeding the little man or letting him nap on me so I’ve been filling my Netflix queue (what did we ever do before Netflix?!) with recommendations from friends.

During my maternity leave with Caroline I re-watched The Office from start to finish and loved it because I didn’t have to think too hard or follow too closely and the episodes were short (and ridiculously funny). This time around I’ve been binge watching Parenthood and am addicted. It is so, so, so good and although I’m only on season 4 I am already angry that season 6 is not available on Netflix yet. Soooo, once I finish this series I am going to need a new show to replace it!

According to the article, the top 20 shows are listed below:

16. Futurama
17. 3rd Rock from the Sun

18. 30 Rock
19. Modern Family
20. *Buffy the Vampire Slayer

*previously watched

If I had to add my own recommendations to this list I would also include…

1. Lost

2. Bloodline

3. Scandal

4. Suits

5. Revenge

6. Naked & Afraid

7. Breaking Bad

So my question for you all is…which series should I binge watch next?! I can’t decide! There are so many shows that I haven’t seen before but part of me would also love to stroll down memory lane with Gilmore Girls or Buffy!

1. Ashley
    July 28, 2015 / 12:04 pm

I just rewatched Buffy and loved it just as much as I did before! I am not watching Friends! Revenge was always one of my favorite shows!

2. Alexis Fetterman
    July 28, 2015 / 12:07 pm

New Girl and 30 Rock are great, short episode comedies. Suits is good too and hubby would probably enjoy it as well being a lawyer. Justified is also an addicting great drama! Happy watching 😉

3. Alexis Fetterman
    July 28, 2015 / 12:08 pm

4. MLarkin
    July 28, 2015 / 12:15 pm

Friday Night Lights! I re-binge watched it on maternity leave. It really is amazing!

5. Crystal
    July 28, 2015 / 12:21 pm

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Revenge and Nashville!! Love them both! Or and I dont think Once Upon a Time was on your list. Thats a good one too!

6. Amanda @ A Brownie World
    July 28, 2015 / 12:23 pm

I just got into The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and I love it. They are quick shows – 30 minutes. Love it.

7. Annie
    July 28, 2015 / 12:27 pm

How I Met Your Mother!

• Annie
      July 28, 2015 / 12:27 pm

and Parks and Rec

• Elizabeth
      July 28, 2015 / 1:17 pm

Definitely Parks and Rec!

8. April
    July 28, 2015 / 12:27 pm

The Mindy Project and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt! They both feature actors from The Office. Also, New Girl remains one of my all-time favorites.

9. Michelle Irons
    July 28, 2015 / 12:30 pm

I'm obsessed with Parenthood! One of the best shows I've ever watched!

10. Laura
    July 28, 2015 / 12:36 pm

My ten year old and I are watching Gilmore Girls now. We're on season 2 and I'm not sure how long I'll let her watch, but we'll see. I'm watching Parenthood by myself – I'm nearly finished with season 2 and I'm loving it!

11. Julie
    July 28, 2015 / 12:39 pm

I binge-watched Scandal while on maternity leave and it was great!

12. Renata Barbosa
    July 28, 2015 / 12:40 pm

I watched Parenthood on my maternity leave as well, I was super bummed when I realized it was an actual ongoing show and that I'd have to wait to see the final season (cue hormonal tears). Once Upon a Time is great, but, I have to add Gossip Girl to your mix, and of course, Pretty Little Liars (it will suck you in). Have fun! And you're right, what did we do before Netflix?

13. Mary Zunino
    July 28, 2015 / 12:41 pm

I don't think it's on Netflix yet, but watch Odd Mom Out on Bravo! !!! Soooo funny! !!!!

14. Shelby @ Making Waves
    July 28, 2015 / 12:43 pm

Bloodline was SO SO good. Both my husband and I absolutely loved it. But 30 Rock and The Mindy Project are my favorites for background shows that are great to laugh at, that I enjoy almost every episode of.

15. Lindsay @ Lovely Life Styling
    July 28, 2015 / 12:49 pm

Pinning this list! We just finished Mad Men and I was obsessed! I would def add that one to the list! The Mindy Project is one of my faves!

16. Whitney Pendell
    July 28, 2015 / 12:56 pm

Love these lists! I have Friends and The Office on my "recently watched" list all the time. I just can't stop with those two. 🙂 My suggestion is White Collar. You have to binge watch it (at least I did) because every episode leads into the next one. Loved that series!

17. Bekah Walsh
    July 28, 2015 / 12:56 pm

Hubby and I binge watched Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and loved it. On hulu, we liked Little Mosque…a pretty simple but humorous sitcom. My name is Earl was a good one, too. I can't believe I'm saying this, but we're currently binge-watching Swamp People.

18. Jillian Manesh
    July 28, 2015 / 12:59 pm

i started watching the office again the other day so funny 🙂 i also loveeee House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Mindy Project, and the New Girl. xo jillian – cornflake dreams

19. Jodi
    July 28, 2015 / 1:02 pm

You have to watch Friday Night Lights! The guy from Bloodline is on there.

20. Jodi
    July 28, 2015 / 1:04 pm

Also you may be able to watch season six of parenthood on your on demand or NBC app. Love Parenthood! Just finished in early June and

21. Maran (HeyHawleywood)
    July 28, 2015 / 1:12 pm

I binge watched Parenthood too and cried like a baby so many episodes. The last season is on Hulu FYI. So good. I would add Parks and Rec, SO funny. I second Friday Night Lights or I also loved One Tree Hill . I'm a 32 year old woman stuck in a teenage girls tv land. OOoor Greys Anatomy too. Can you tell I love to binge watch tv?

22. Jessica Miller
    July 28, 2015 / 1:21 pm

Hart of Dixie was really cute but only 3 out of the 4 seasons are on Netflix. Greys and Friday Night Lights are also winners!

23. Katie
    July 28, 2015 / 1:39 pm

Ohh goodness– there are few things The Husband and I love more than binge-watching a good show! I personally have binge-watched Parenthood, Scandal, Gilmore Girls (second time watching), and seasons of Friends (never gets old!). As a couple we've watched House of Cards, The Affair, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos… and Friday Night Lights. Girl, if you haven't watched FNL, you need some Tami and Eric Taylor in your life. You will laugh and cry and feel like they are your family and that there's no way that you can say goodbye when the show ends. DO IT!!

24. Kristen [Playground Prepster]
    July 28, 2015 / 1:47 pm

30 Rock!!! We binge watch too – a lot of the same shows (watching Parenthood now but it's too heavy for me – we follow it up with 30 Rock – one to make us cry and one to make us laugh). I laugh out loud multiple times.

25. Natalie
    July 28, 2015 / 2:03 pm

Parks & Recreation is great – really funny, especially if you like The Office!

26. Brittany@TheLadyLawyer
    July 28, 2015 / 2:08 pm

I'm really enjoying Friday Night Lights right now! I didn't think I would like it at all but I promise it's more than just high school football 🙂

27. Erin Ressler
    July 28, 2015 / 2:09 pm

Oh my goodness! So many good one's to pick from! If you are wanting a light hearted and funny show, my picks would definitely be Modern Family and The Mindy Project. My husband and I watch those two and laugh out loud in just about every episode! We also liked Breaking Bad, but it is pretty intense in my opinion, but I am a baby! 🙂

28. Penny Struebig
    July 28, 2015 / 2:17 pm

Scandal and Parenthood. I swear when I was watching Scandal I felt my woman power raise. Parenthood was great too!

29. Kristen Cone
    July 28, 2015 / 2:28 pm

I loveeeeee Nashville!

30. ksbockelman
    July 28, 2015 / 2:30 pm

Nashville for sure! You need some Deacon in your life!

31. Jaclyn Gregberg
    July 28, 2015 / 3:04 pm

How I met your Mother or Nashville…THE BEST!!!

32. meg-made
    July 28, 2015 / 3:37 pm

Oh golly I don't know how your emotions are handling Parenthood AND new parenthood!!! At the very best of times that show leaves me a sobbing mess!!!!! I owe you many many emails friend xx

33. Nina @ Flowers in my Hair
    July 28, 2015 / 3:58 pm

A ton of good ones…I would add: House of Cards

34. Sarah O
    July 28, 2015 / 4:08 pm

I'm on maternity leave too and I'm loving Netflix. I just finished the whole season of Call the Midwife. It's great!

35. courtney jones
    July 28, 2015 / 4:15 pm

I love the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, New Girl and Friday Night Lights! But House of Cards is also a really good show to binge watch except you do have to follow closely. But all the others are really good light hearted shows.I love Gilmore Girls so much, I have watched the series about three times!

36. Hanging with the Hirsts
    July 28, 2015 / 4:18 pm

The Office is the best!! Seinfeld and Modern Family sound like good shows to binge watch, too. I never got into LOST but I've been thinking that would be a good one to get hooked on. Right now, I'm loving Astronaut Wives but that's probably not on Netflix.

37. Life as the Mrs.
    July 28, 2015 / 5:03 pm

House of Cards for sure!

38. Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld
    July 28, 2015 / 5:07 pm

GIRRRRL, hubs and I are binge-watching Parenthood now as well (we're on Season 2) and I'm already thinking that it may go down as my second favorite show of all time, (second to Friends, which will ALWAYS be number 1). Therefore, my suggestion is for you to binge watch FRIENDS!! Even if you've already seen every single episode, it's always amazing to watch the entire series from start to finish. I love it so much and I never get tired of it.

39. Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld
    July 28, 2015 / 5:08 pm

Oh, and I know it's not on the list, but Dawson's Creek!!!! I'm such a nerd.

40. LHWinstead
    July 28, 2015 / 6:02 pm

Friday Night Lights!! It's soooo good! I have shed several tears over the first season! We're hooked!!

41. Claire Voss
    July 28, 2015 / 6:02 pm

Love Modern Family! Glad you're getting to enjoy some down time!:)

42. Lindsay Otis
    July 28, 2015 / 7:20 pm

Dawson's Creek is always a fun one! Hart of Dixie is a light hearted one too that is good and baby daddy is hilarious! not a mom

43. Jen
    July 28, 2015 / 8:15 pm

Let me add to the list of those recommending Friday Night Lights. If you love Parenthood you will also love FNL!! It's so not just high school football, I promise. It's one you will laugh and cry with and absolutely fall in love with the characters. Season 2 takes a small downturn but it picks back up and is flawless. Plus, you will recognize some folks from Parenthood and Bloodline. 🙂 Both Parenthood and FNL are my two favorite shows of ALL time.

44. Sara Elizabeth
    July 28, 2015 / 8:44 pm

West Wing or Newsroom… love both!!

45. Evelina
    July 28, 2015 / 9:07 pm

So many of these shows are on my To Be Watched list! I guess I need to get pregnant and have a mat leave haha! My husband and I watched the Office from start to finish and loooooved it!

46. Owen Ross Davis
    July 28, 2015 / 10:25 pm

One Tree Hill is my favorite!! So old yet SO good. I am dying to watch Scandal!

47. Sarah Walters
    July 29, 2015 / 12:28 am

Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, Grey's, Nashville, Grace and Frankie–hilarious, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt–hilarious! I just started Call the Midwife yesterday and am loving it so far!

48. Sonia Brown
    July 29, 2015 / 1:45 am

House of Cards

49. Stefanie Sliger
    July 29, 2015 / 12:10 pm

Glad to know I'm not the only one who loves Gilmore Girls! Parenthood is amazing, I'm on season 4 as well. I think I cry every episode.

50. Jo
    July 29, 2015 / 1:04 pm

We LOVE The Mindy Project. It's the only thing *even close* to The Office humor anymore. (although we do think Brooklyn nine-nine is hilarious too). I adore Nashville, I miss 30 Rock, and I own all seasons of Friends on dvd (and god bless tbs), that stays in the rotation. hah I used to watch Once Upon a TIme, got to be too weird and I fell to far behind. Do you not already watch Modern?! Do it!

51. Nichole @
    July 29, 2015 / 1:19 pm

I could binge watch Gilmore Girls, and Friends every day!

52. My Life as A Plate
    July 29, 2015 / 3:54 pm

Parenthood is my guilty pleasure ( only 5 episodes to go…I don't want it to end). Also try Odd Mom Out on Bravo. Soo funny.

53. Jessi @ Jessi's Design
    July 29, 2015 / 4:10 pm

Love this! during my maternity leave I binged Friday Night Lights (may have to again) & Gossip Girl (haha no joke) I may have to jump on the Parenthood binge though!

54. Katie Elizabeth
    July 29, 2015 / 4:27 pm

Another one for Friday Night Lights!! Especially if you're loving Parenthood – it's the same producers. So so so good!

55. Jenn
    July 29, 2015 / 9:36 pm

I've seen pretty much all of the ones mentioned already. I binge watched a few others during my maternity: Pretty Little Liars and The Killing have been two of my favorites – if you like mysteries 🙂

56. Unknown
    July 30, 2015 / 4:03 pm

I couldn't wait for the final season of parenthood to come out on Netflix! I searched youtube and found ALL season 6 episodes!!

57. Jenny W.
    July 30, 2015 / 5:05 pm

You MUST watch Friday Night Lights. It's my favorite series of all time and you don't have to like football to appreciate it. Trust me, you will love it!

58. Tonia
    July 31, 2015 / 6:19 pm

I'm currently rewatching The Office too. Very funny and doesn't require too much concentration. If you like Orange is the New Black, check out Wentworth. A bit darker than Orange, but so good!

59. Little King's Nest
    July 31, 2015 / 8:34 pm

I'm a fellow binge watcher. My favorite was Parenthood. I loved Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill and Hart of Dixie on Netflix. I started Pretty Little Liars while home with Griffin, and got HOOKED. It still comes on, and my husband is hooked, too. Watch it! 😊

60. Ashley Wissel
    August 2, 2015 / 12:41 am

I loved Nashville, and I would highly recommend Friday Night Lights!!! It is ah-mazing!!

61. Katelyn @ Real Housewife of Greenville
    August 3, 2015 / 8:03 pm

currently rewatching Grey's Anatomy 🙂

62. Shelley
    August 4, 2015 / 1:51 pm

You should really give Hart of Dixie a try!!!! Awesome show!! Hope that Thomas is doing well….and Caroline of course! 🙂