Five on Friday!

It’s been a wild week so let’s get right down to it!

one. I want to thank everyone for the prayers for my dad this week. On Monday he had a procedure done in an attempt to remove the fluid in his lungs. The doctors were astonished that they were able to extract almost a liter of fluid! After the procedure we had a bit of a scare as dad couldn’t breathe all of a sudden. Mom was rushed out of the room and a storm of medical staff rushed in and sedated him and put him on a breathing tube for the next few days. So that was scary but on Wednesday they successfully removed the tube and he is slowly getting better! They are constantly monitoring his vitals (right now he’s on oxygen) but we are making progress and hope to find out the status of his lung infection soon! Again, thank you all SO much for your support and prayers. I honestly couldn’t have gotten through the day without your sweet comments on my Instagram post!

two. This was my first week back in the office. On Monday morning I woke up to a sweet note from the hubs wishing me a good week back. It’s been crazy at work (and home) too and doesn’t appear to be slowing down anytime soon so you may see a dip in my blog activity. BUT, I am loving Snapchat, so you can find me there posting little unedited snippets of our life more often! Follow me at carolina_charm.

three. I have been using the heck out of my crockpot this week! It’s seriously been a lifesaver! One night I made a new crockpot pork tenderloin recipe and it was soooooo yummy. The night before I threw all of the following ingredients in a ziploc bag to marinate overnight. The next morning I threw it in my crockpot for 8 hours and came home to the most tasty and tender pork that even Caroline loved.

Crockpot Pork Tenderloin Marinade:
 1⁄2 cups olive oil
1⁄3 cup soy sauce
1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1-2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 1-lb. pork tenderloin

Also, I’ve mentioned this before but it’s worth bringing up again for any mamas who struggle with hungry toddler meltdowns before dinner. We quickly cool down Caroline’s food using the toddler/baby food CoolIt Plate. We received another set for Christmas and are now stocked! For this crockpot dinner I literally just pulled the pork out of the crockpot and scooped it right onto the rapid cooling plate and served it to her. No tears. And she ate it. A huge victory.

four. It’s been 8 days since our trip to the ER with Thomas and he just isn’t getting better. This poor little man is coughing up a storm all night still and throughout the day too. It’s so bad that he vomits up anything in his stomach during a coughing spell. No fevers, thankfully, but after a week we just couldn’t take it anymore so I brought him to the doctor yesterday for another checkup to rule out pneumonia, bronchitis, etc. Our doctor wasn’t concerned about the cough and said it unfortunately has to run it’s course but his ear infection has worsened and is now a DOUBLE ear infection. So after 8 days of amoxicillin we are tossing it in the trash and he’s on a new, stronger medication. I’m hoping this works and we can all get some sleep finally!

five. Big weekend ahead! Tomorrow a group of us our showering one of our favorite mamas-to-be! I couldn’t be more excited. Instead of the usual shower with appetizers, cake and present opening, we opted to reserve a nail salon for 17 of us to get pedicures, followed by lunch at a really fun restaurant together! Everyone, including mama, is really excited for a girly day! I cannot, cannot, cannot wait to shower my bestie!

We also have our first date night of the year on the books for this weekend! I am serious about our New Year’s date night resolution!

1. Confessions of a Northern Belle
    January 8, 2016 / 12:08 pm

A cooling plate?!? Do they make bowls?!

2. Meghan
    January 8, 2016 / 12:29 pm

A cooling plate sounds awesome! My son is obsessed with saying everything is hot (even when it's just warm). And that crockpot pork looks great!

3. Kelly Crusenberry
    January 8, 2016 / 12:33 pm

1) Glad to hear your dad is doing better. After starting my first clinical rotation in the hospitals this week I can definitely empathize, I always just want to hug my patients and tell them its going to get better! Praying for your family. 2) Your husband seriously sets a great standard. I hope to find someone who cares like that someday, love notes are my jam!3) I must try this pork tenderloin now! I love following you on snapchat, it always brightens my day. 4) Hope little Thomas gets to feeling better soon. Theres nothing sadder than a sick baby. I actually found out I was allergic to amoxicillin this week, lucky me! ha! Hope his ear infections turn around soon!!Have a fun weekend! sounds like a BLAST!

4. Michelle A
    January 8, 2016 / 1:23 pm

glad to hear your father is doing better and sending good thoughts for thomas!also, if you dont already, you need to look into crockpot liners! reynolds makes them and in my grocery store they are by the oven bags (along with the saran wrap/tin foil/ziplock bags etc) they will make you fall in love with your crockpot even more since they practically eliminate the clean up!! <3

5. Caitlyn {Home Sweet Ruby}
    January 8, 2016 / 1:29 pm

Aw I'm so sorry to hear about Thomas! We went through 4 double ear infections with my son in two months, one of which he got while he was finishing amoxicillin for the last ear infection (HOW?!), and he needed the antibiotic shot in his leg which was terrible so I really hope it doesn't come to that for your baby boy! Good luck, you will all get through it friend!

6. Life as the Mrs.
    January 8, 2016 / 1:36 pm

Double ear infections are the WORST! I'm sorry!!! We are going to have to order those plates for our two-year-old who uses, "Hot!" (even when it's not anymore) as an excuse to not eat his dinner. Yet another invention I wish I was smart enough to come up with!

7. Samma
    January 8, 2016 / 1:37 pm

I need that cooling plate!! Genius!

8. Unknown
    January 8, 2016 / 1:58 pm

My friends little boy just had a double ear infection. He went in two antibiotics and it did nothing. She took him to the ENT who said that in order for the infection to be treated the medicine needs to actually touch the ear. Liquids and pills won't have an effect. Just FYI! Hope he feels better

• Carolina Charm
      January 8, 2016 / 2:50 pm

UGH! I am so hoping we don't go down that road. Caroline had soooooo many ear infections her first year.

9. Hanging with the Hirsts
    January 8, 2016 / 2:16 pm

So scary what happened with your dad but so very thankful he's on the mend!! Poor Thomas – I hope he gets better soon! I love watching your snaps – the kids are so adorable!

10. Adelyn V
    January 8, 2016 / 2:39 pm

Praying for your Dad and for Thomas. I really hope everyone is feeling better super soon. I'm sure they already checked for this, but did your doctor screen Thomas for RSV? My daughter had it really badly last year and ended up hospitalized. Before we knew what she had, she had this horrendous, croup-sounding cough. She was also retracting which I didn't realize at the time but now know to recognize. Unfortunately, the RSV has damaged her bronchial tubes and now every time she gets a cold her cough sounds really bad.Anyway, I super hope everyone is feeling really better soon! You're a strong mama. Enjoy the shower tomorrow–very creative idea!

• Carolina Charm
      January 8, 2016 / 2:48 pm

YES! We had that same concern. Doctor said after listening to his lungs that they are clear and he doesn't have any RSV concerns, although it (and bronchitis and pneumonia) are going around like crazy!)

11. Carrie C
    January 8, 2016 / 3:15 pm

Ugh-I hate the dr visits where they tell you "not much we can do." So frustrating. My two year old went through the same thing over the holidays and we found that the infant vicks on his chest, back and feet actually seemed to help. We forgot it one night and his cough was worse. You might already be trying it-but if not its an inexpensive additional thing that might help. We had to wean our little boy off og it-he loved the routine of having it rubbed on his belly and feet-now we rub him with Vaseline. He has the smoothest toddler feet in town;)

12. Laura Wyatt
    January 8, 2016 / 3:39 pm

YAYAYAY! I can't wait for tomorrow!!!!!PS! Where are y'all going on your fancy date night?!

13. Maureen
    January 8, 2016 / 3:49 pm

Amoxicillin has NEVER worked for our baby boy (now 17 month old) – we ALWAYS end up getting something stronger, so now we even refuse to use that nasty pink stuff! Hopefully Mr. Thomas starts feeling better soon!

14. Paige
    January 8, 2016 / 4:03 pm

Prayers for your family. I'm sure it's difficult to go back to work and juggle everything, but I hope it brings you some happiness to have things back to a "normal" routine again. My son is on amoxicillin for his first ear infection and we learned from my first son to always give a probiotic when on a antibiotic (bc of tons of dirty diapers and diaper rash). Did your dr tell you about that? I'm so impressed that you're making dinner each night. I think if I were you my family would be living on pizza and take out for a while!

15. Cassie
    January 8, 2016 / 4:23 pm

The crock pot has saved the day over here too. I love the nail salon idea. Hope the little guy gets better fast!

16. Cari
    January 8, 2016 / 5:33 pm

I'm so happy to read that your dad is doing well and that you're surviving and thriving your 1st week back! Crock pots are the best for this non-mom so I can only imagine how great they are for a busy, working mom!

17. Justine Ciemny
    January 8, 2016 / 5:36 pm

Such a fun twist on the traditional shower! Prayers for your dad :)Justine @ Charm City Ciemny'

18. Jess Scott
    January 8, 2016 / 6:58 pm

Ah, poor Thomas and you!! So glad to hear he's on a stronger medicine and that your dad is doing well. You are SUCH a positive person with so much going on!!! Crock pot dinners SAVE ME! What do you do about dinners that call for just 4 or 6 hours? I hate to leave it sitting in there for another 2 – 4 hours! Have a great weekend….that sounds like the BEST shower!

19. Leslie
    January 8, 2016 / 8:57 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Thomas, and I hope he is feeling better soon. Also sending well wishes for your dad Ashe recovers. The shower and date night sound fun, so at least you have some happy things to look forward to.

20. Natasha
    January 8, 2016 / 10:30 pm

i'm REALLY praying for your sweet daddy and for Thomas to get to feeling better friend… I know you guys need some dose of "normal" and I am sending you big hugs. And Ummmm, how did I never know about that plate?????? GENIUS

21. Kristy @ Rejoice and Repeat
    January 9, 2016 / 2:01 am

Our little N went through the same coughing thing (minus ear infection). I never thought he'd get over it. It lasted on and off for about 3 months and he's finally not coughing. He has a junky nose but I'm so glad he can eat without throwing it all up. I feel ya!

22. Caley-Jade Rosenberg
    January 9, 2016 / 12:37 pm

Praying for your Dad and a very speedy recovery my friend, and for poor little Thomas. After watching our little EN struggle for the whole of 2015 with double ear infections, bronchitis, sinusitis and tonsillitis – I know and feel your pain. It is so heartbreaking watching them so sick… EN is only better now after doing her tubes, adenoids and tonsils (even so young!) and now she is like a new babe x

23. Amanda @ A Brownie World
    January 9, 2016 / 2:45 pm

Rule of thumb (from this old mama) bad coughs in the winter 9/10 times lead to ear infections. And unfortunately they cannot cure a cough. With my first baby I would worry over coughs and then when my second one came along I had learned the territory. It still is no good to have a little one who sounds bad. Fabulous report on your father! May God's mercies continue to blanket him. Way to go on getting back to the routine so quickly! That is a gift! Happy celebrating a new mama to be! xo Amanda

24. Sara Elizabeth
    January 9, 2016 / 4:33 pm

I'm so glad your dad is on the mend. Prayers for a continued recovery!! Proud of you for sticking to date night! Enjoy your girlie day!! 🙂

25. Unknown
    January 10, 2016 / 6:27 am

Prayers for dad's continued healing! As for Thomas's cough, have you tried Vicks on the bottom of his feet, covered by socks? And have they ruled out whooping cough? Prayers all around!!!

26. Kristen [Playground Prepster]
    January 12, 2016 / 7:02 pm

So very glad to hear about your father!!!! You guys have been in my prayers! I'm so sorry Thomas isn't getting better- I hope the new meds work their magic. I hope the second week back at work is going well!