Five on Friday!

Three day weekend ahead! Daycare is closed for MLK day so that means we have an extra day to chase our minis around.

one. We did it! We did it! We finally moved Thomas to the nursery this week (at 6 months old – eeep!)! We kicked Caroline out of our room around 12 weeks old but things were different for Thomas. We have been super afraid of how this would go down and although it’s only been 4 nights…so far, so good (I hope I’m not jinxing myself)! Caroline sleeps 7:30 pm – 7 am and Thomas sleeps 7:30 pm to somewhere between 6-7 am. So we were worried that Thomas babbling at 6 am would mean both kids would be up and ready to go. So far, that is definitely the case, but we’re hoping the excitement of having brother next to Caroline will wear on her soon and she’ll extend her snooze back to 7 am. Regardless, we let them both hang out until about 6:45 and for the most part Caroline will play with her stuffed animals and Thomas will eat his foot. So until one of them really starts to lose it, we hurriedly try to get ready for the day.

However, on a separate issue, our bedtime routine is getting out of control. It now takes a solid 55 minutes to get Caroline down for “nigh-nigh.” We have to read like 20 books, then sing at least 6 songs, say her bedtime prayer and then attempt to put her down. Of course that doesn’t work so we have to do the same drill over and over until she points to her crib and says “nigh nigh.” Help! How do we fix this? I can only sing Jesus Loves Me so many times and I really hate letting her cry it out when she was so good about peacefully putting herself to sleep until recently!

two. Time to get serious about my meal planning. I picked up this adorable dry erase board from the Target dollar aisle after seeing Steph post her menu.

three. You must read Stephanie’s life changing (no, seriously, life changing!!!) tutorial on how to fix an iPhone setting that is completely eating up your battery life. My iPhone goes from fully charged to completely dead in a matter of hours these days. This one simple left swipe has been huge in extending my snapchat addiction battery life. Go read her post now! Heck, read all her posts. She’s one of my favorite bloggers.

four. So I’ve come a long way in my primer game (see picture below!). Back before kids I’d happily shell out $42 for one tiny piece of makeup. But as diapers and formula began to add up, I scaled back and went cheap and my face has paid for it over the years. It’s taken a few baby steps to get there but last weekend I used some Christmas gift cards and splurged on Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Primer. If you don’t have super dry skin like me, you could probably purchase the cheaper one but I have the worst skin ever so I need all of the hydration I can get. And if I’m being honest, this primer has completely changed the way my makeup stays on my face and I think one bottle will take me pretty far. So I’m going to have to agree with all the hype around this fabulous product. Would love to know if there are any other products worth splurging on. My Ulta gift cards are burning a hole through my pocket. I also need some type of deep cleansing mask to get rid of my daily shedding skin. Any fellow super dry ladies out there with an awesome product rec?

five. Several mama friends sent me this yesterday and I had to pass it on to the other mamas out there that watch wayyyyyy too much Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

Wanna join Darci, April, Natasha and I on the
Friday fun? You can link-up on any of our four blogs every Friday! All you have
to do is…

1.)
Write your post about five things you’re lovin’ this week (or any five things
you want to share!).

2.) Share the logo on your blog and link back.

3.)
Link-up at the bottom of the post so some new readers can check out your five
things and say hello!

THE GOOD LIFE BLOG

Facebooktwitterpinterestinstagrambloglovin

1. Jen
    January 15, 2016 / 12:17 pm

Is the linkup for today supposed to be closed?

2. emily
    January 15, 2016 / 12:47 pm

i never comment on blogs, but i loved this post for 2 reasons… 1) the mickey mouse clubhouse!! i find myself singing that song throughout the day at work! and yes, wine please!! and 2) the bedtime routine! ugh… ours was getting like that too. my daughter totally knows how to get what she wants and knows i'm a sucker! finally we started a rule that she can pick ONE book and ONE song. i review what's going to happen before bed saying, "how many books do you get to pick?" and she knows it's one and has even started picking the longer books know! smart cookie she is. but this has helped a little bit… she'll still make up every excuse in the book after lights out door closed. i just stopped going in her room after that because i know she's fine 🙂 good luck, mama! these littles sure know how to get us, don't they!?!

3. Julie
    January 15, 2016 / 1:30 pm

The Mickey Mouse Club song on repeat is my worst nightmare 🙂

4. Stephanie | Olive and Tate |
    January 15, 2016 / 1:47 pm

You're my favorite 😉

5. Elizabeth
    January 15, 2016 / 1:48 pm

I'm addicted to Snapchat too! I'm sure teens around the world are giving me a collective eyeroll… but I LOVE it!

6. Laura Wyatt
    January 15, 2016 / 2:22 pm

cheapo question – can you use the fancy primer with an inexpensive foundation or does that defeat the purpose? deets please 🙂

7. K
    January 15, 2016 / 2:24 pm

We JUST went through this with the bedtime routine, and I think Caroline is only a couple months younger than my son. It was bad timing with the holidays, so we could almost spend the ridiculous amount of time putting him down, but then he started getting up multiple times through the night and I couldn't do it. So, I started just giving him warnings. He does "one more minute" pretty well. I mean, he asks for a billion of them, but he gets the concept. I would just talk it through with him. "One more minute and then we are going night night. Can you say night night Mama?" I'd get him to say it too, he seems to process things better when he repeats them back. Then I would get him if he cries (I've never been able to cry it out) but only for a quick snuggle. Then down. It took a couple nights, but he is back to his wonderful putting himself to sleep (and staying asleep) self!

8. Tiffany Smith
    January 15, 2016 / 2:44 pm

We are dealing with the same issue at bedtime. B keeps asking for more books and water, then wants to lay in our bed, then her bed, then have daddy hold her, then me. It is so frustrating and takes about an hour too. I hope some other readers have good advice, because I need it too!

9. Kelly Crusenberry
    January 15, 2016 / 2:48 pm

oh my gosh! i knew about some of the other data settings but not this one! going to fix mine now!

10. Kelsie Turner
    January 15, 2016 / 2:55 pm

Hi Christina!I love reading along with you and your sweet family! If you are looking for an amazing makeup product that will help your makeup stay on way longer try the Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Spray. I also use their primer spray but definitely try out the makeup setter. It has improved the stay of my makeup so much! It's also super hydrating. Check it out! http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4930049Best,Kelsiehttp://bunchofbabble.weebly.com/

11. Jess Scott
    January 15, 2016 / 2:56 pm

Love the Mickey Mouse reference! If we are going to be stuck singing the song, we should at least have a glass of wine in our hand!! Okay, so I have SUPER dry skin, and I use Arbonne's FC5 line for dry skin, only in the winter. They have a cleanser, day lotion and night lotion. They also have a hydrating mask that I use that I LOVE. I'd be happy to give you my discount, if you want to try it!! (I don't sell it to make money, I am a consultant for the discount! Ha!) Otherwise, I haven't found anything that works, but I am definitely trying this primer. I feel like as soon as I put make up on, my skin flakes. Do you have a good foundation that works on dry skin? Enough about our skin, have a great long weekend with your babies!!!

12. Kristy @ Rejoice and Repeat
    January 15, 2016 / 3:29 pm

Yay! We're going on a little more than a week of ours sleeping in the same room. I hate to have them cry it out but we did it. We would go through her normal routine and lay her down. I'd go in after 10 min, lay her back down and leave. I wouldn't speak unless I told her goodnight. I'd stretch the intervals and after about the 3rd time she'd get the hint. After a couple nights she was back on track. It wasn't easy but it saved our sanitt. Remember, what you permit is what will continue.

13. Katie Elizabeth
    January 15, 2016 / 4:36 pm

I have super dry skin too and love the Glam Glow masks – the original is awesome and they even have a hydrating one! They can be pricey, but the trial size ($19) lasts through quite a few uses!

14. furmangirl08
    January 15, 2016 / 4:55 pm

Have you thought about Birchbox? Birchbox gives you points for everything you buy and so for every 2-3 bottles you'd get $10 back since you get a point per dollar you spend. I love birchbox for trying new things, but their points are also AWESOME since you get $10 for each 100 points. They also carry smashbox and a lot of other brands so it's also cool for trying brands I'd never heard of before!

15. Simply LKJ
    January 15, 2016 / 5:01 pm

Something that worked for our girls was books on tape or lullaby music. Back in the day, they each had a small fisher price tape recorder. We would put on jammies, brush teeth, read a book or two, and then if they still were not quite ready, we would play either of the above, but they had to be in their crib/bed. Worked like a charm!

16. Nina @ Flowers in my Hair
    January 15, 2016 / 6:20 pm

I'd try Lush's Ocean Salt…a really gentle exfoliator but also incredibly efficient. Lush will let you test it and take home a sample too!

17. Laura
    January 15, 2016 / 6:31 pm

Love Steph! Have a wonderful long weekend!!

18. Evelina
    January 15, 2016 / 10:42 pm

"Thomas will eat his foot" I am dying.

19. Liz Jo
    January 16, 2016 / 3:30 am

Gosh I hope someone else posts about getting kids down. It's always taken Sophie a bit to get down but lately she'll be up for two hours now (and she's tired). We've tried singing, book reading, everything and it still takes forever for her to go down, although we've tried getting her up earlier to but that doesn't seem to work.Hope you get some advice!liz @ j for joiner

20. ourlifeoverseas
    January 16, 2016 / 9:09 am

My top three skin recommendations:Clinique face wash for extra dry, the milky texture is amazing on your skinClinique moisture surge face cream, I use this every night. I coat it on my face and neck and my skin glows all day the next day. Love, Love, LOVE!!! Also the Clarisonic, is amazing. I didn't believe it because of my dry skin, but it has totally changed my life.I hope some of these help you out.~Melanie @ outlifeoverseas.wordpress.com

21. LHWinstead
    January 16, 2016 / 1:35 pm

I love that your babies are sharing a room – so sweet!! Hope it continues to go well!!

22. Sara Elizabeth
    January 17, 2016 / 4:31 am

I should check on the primer! I can recommend the La Mer exfoliating mask. It's soft enough for my dry/sensitive skin and a little goes A LONG way. Highly recommend. 🙂

23. Mary Zunino
    January 17, 2016 / 3:13 pm

I feel like all I've written about lately is sleep drama!!! One book that helped us these past couple of weeks was The Happiest Toddler on the Block; the MD that wrote it is pretty funny and the tips he offers seem to be working (knock on wood :))

24. Sara
    January 19, 2016 / 2:59 pm

My oldest (who's 6.5 now) was sooooooo hard to get down. He was also my baby that woke up at 3am every.single.night until he was 14 months old. Probably didn't help that I always gave him a bottle. ha! Anyway…once we moved him into a big boy bed (at 2), I got serious about his night-night routine. Mostly because I was pregnant with #2. I used to have to lay in bed with him for over an hour, sing 15 songs and read book after book. Finally, I just got firm. He got to choose ONE book. He could choose whatever book he wanted, but he only got ONE (don't think he didn't choose the absolute longest book every time!). Then I told him he would get 3 songs and that was it. I also gave him lots of reminders throughout the evening that this is what would be happening. And I reminded him about how tired Mommy was from her day at work and that I needed to get my rest as well. It took a couple of weeks for him to get used to it, but he finally did. We still do this same routine to this day. Except now he reads a book to me! 🙂 Good luck, Momma. You gotta stay strong. I love Rodan + Fields Microdermabrasion Paste. I have super dry skin and I use this about 3X per week. It's a little pricey, but it lasts forever! I've had my tub since last February and it's only half way used even now.

25. Sara
    January 19, 2016 / 3:08 pm

26. Kristen [Playground Prepster]
    January 19, 2016 / 6:18 pm

I love following you on snapchat!! You have the cutest kiddos!! I've heard so many amazing things about the smashbox primer – I have to put it on my list of items to try. Sorry about bedtime! At least the nursery is crazy cute 🙂

27. The Wiscott's
    January 20, 2016 / 6:04 pm

I just started following you on snapchat – your kiddos are so cute and funny – thanks for the iphone info that helps alot – bedtime is rough even at 4 years old but she is getting better

28. ash
    January 21, 2016 / 5:14 pm

Just echoing ourlifeoverseas's recommendation for Clinque Moisture Surge. I use the Moisture Surge Overnight Masque and I can't even begin to tell you the difference it makes–I also have extra dry skin and struggle with flakiness and this has eliminated it. ELIMINATED IT! One bottle lasts for a long time (I'm using mine for my second winter) and it's totally worth the cost ($34 for a 3.4oz bottle).

29. Alexandra Bee Blog
    January 24, 2016 / 6:20 pm

I use the Smashbox Photofinish Primer too, and love it! That little bottle will definitely last you a long time!