Five on Friday!

Happy Friday! Thank you all so much for your blog and post suggestions!!! I always enjoy hearing from my readers and am really excited about all of the ideas you gave me! Keep an eye out for some new posts coming your way! Also, I can’t wait to check out your favorite blogs to my reader!!

one. Let’s talk dinnertime, shall we? In our house dinnertime can be a bit of a battle with two toddlers. Unless it’s takeout no matter what we cook for Caroline she takes two bites and exclaims she is “all done!” We’ve found that the dinner setting is key to our success. This includes changing up where and how we eat. It’s like she gets distracted with excitement over something different and actually eats! So to switch things up at dinner we sometimes watch Sesame Street, some nights the kids are side by side in high chairs, sometimes they eat sitting on the counter top, sometimes outside, etc. etc. Most recently we added a The First Years Mickey Mouse Helping Hands Feeding Seat to our collection and let the kiddos take turns eating in it. And for some reason it’s miraculous. Whichever mini doesn’t get the chair gets to use our new Mickey feeding set and Mickey sippy cup!

Clearly it wasn’t Caroline’s night to sit in the Mickey Seat. Or Thomas’s night to have the Mickey cup.

two. PSA for fellow mamas of picky toddlers: Annie’s Pea B&J Pockets are a huuuuuge hit at our house and are a great way to trick your minis into eating some peas! FYI, I can only find them at Target.

three. If you haven’t already tried Trader Joe’s Avocado Oil you need to add it to your shopping list! I just picked up a bottle two weeks ago and it is hands down the best oil for cooking I’ve ever used. I am obsessed.

four. In non-food news, I have a question for you all. I need help with sunscreen! I am almost certain that I have a sun (or possibly an SPF) allergy. It only affects my face but anytime I apply sunscreen to my face it breaks out into an itchy rash that turns into blotchy redness and then dries out my face and flakes for weeks. So truthfully, I try not to even use sunscreen on my face (I know, I know!!!) and usually wear a hat instead for short bursts of sun exposure. However, the best sunscreen for EXTREMELY sensitive skin that I’ve used so far is Josie Maran’s Moisturizer with SPF 47. I just ran out but before I reorder for Jamaica I wanted to check with the fellow sensitive skin ladies to see what y’all use. (And hopefully it’s cheaper.)

Also sun related, I just ordered Heliocare after doing some research. I haven’t tried this before but I’m excited to see if it helps reduce the nasty side effects to my face from sun exposure.

five. A few of you emailed me from Monday’s post asking where Caroline’s dress is from. It’s from Old Navy and we have it in two colors (navy and light red)! The back is SUPER cute too. Currently on sale for $13 but is only left in warm stripe (pictured above).

—-

Wanna join April, Natasha and I on the Friday fun? You can link-up on any of our four blogs every Friday! All you have to do is…

1.) Write your post about five things you’re lovin’ this week (or any five things you want to share!).

2.) Share the logo on your blog and link back.

3.) Link-up at the bottom of the post so some new readers can check out your five things and say hello!

THE GOOD LIFE BLOG

Facebooktwitterpinterestinstagrambloglovin

1. Adelyn V
    August 12, 2016 / 12:20 pm

Love your blog! 🙂 I have EXTREMELY sensitive facial/neck skin (weirdly, the rest of my body is less sensitive). I have tried probably everything out there re: sunscreen as I have Irish/Scottish ancestry and the super fair skin to match. Josie Maran SPF 47 is probably the only sunscreen I've ever used that has yet to irritate my skin, particularly the area around my eyes. It is expensive but I look at it as an investment in my skin that's cheaper than the alternative. One tip–check QVC from time to time as they do deals on Josie Maran products on occasion.

• Carolina Charm
      August 12, 2016 / 1:25 pm

GOOD TO KNOW! THANK YOU!

2. KGD
    August 12, 2016 / 12:51 pm

You might be allergic to PABA! I have to deal with this and you just need to make sure your sunscreen is PABA free. Most child friendly sunscreens are.

• Carolina Charm
      August 12, 2016 / 1:26 pm

Which sunscreen do you use? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case because I can't even use lots of types of makeup (that contain SPF)!

• KGD
      August 12, 2016 / 1:34 pm

I've been using Blue Lizard products and I also love Clinique's super city block for my face.

• Christi
      August 12, 2016 / 8:22 pm

I'm super sensitive especially on my face but can use the Clinique city block which I put under aveeno moisturizer with spf but I can't have anything near my eyes.

3. Julie
    August 12, 2016 / 1:15 pm

Our little does the same with food 🙁 She will literally just look at it and say all done. Unfortunately that means our meals have been less than exciting lately.

• Carolina Charm
      August 12, 2016 / 1:28 pm

HA! I feel ya. That's exactly why I refuse to put a lot of work into Caroline's meals these days!

4. Trish Felecos
    August 12, 2016 / 1:17 pm

This is my favorite for my face- it's so so good (and I promise I'm not biased because I promote it!). Best thing is, you can try it out and return if you don't like it for a full refund! It's also cheaper- win/win/win! https://tfelecos.myrandf.com/Shop/Product/RVSS050

• Carolina Charm
      August 12, 2016 / 1:28 pm

Will definitely look into this! Thanks!

5. Julia
    August 12, 2016 / 1:23 pm

I have the same problem with sunscreen on my face, the only thing I have found that works for me is my son's babyganics sunscreen!

• Carolina Charm
      August 12, 2016 / 1:27 pm

Didn't even THINK about baby sunscreen!!! Maybe I'll try some of the kiddos' Blue Lizzard. 🙂

6. Robbin Writes
    August 12, 2016 / 1:30 pm

Strangely enough, I just blogged about sunscreen in my five! I'm allergic to the zinc oxide in most sunscreen, so I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. It works well for me, and it's like $10. Bonus: you can get it at Ulta (with a coupon!) and return it within 30 days if it breaks you out.

• Alexis Fetterman
      August 12, 2016 / 1:40 pm

Another Bonus…I don't know anything about this sunscreen, but I do know when my Mom saw a dermatologist they recommended Neutrogena products for the face. 🙂

• Holly
      August 12, 2016 / 3:48 pm

Neutrogena is the only brand that works for me. I get the same rash on my face that you described.

7. Alexis Fetterman
    August 12, 2016 / 1:38 pm

Aww man I am loving all the Mickey sruff. My son loves Mickey. I may have to try the spout less cup for vacation!I will also have to look for the Peace B and J!! Thanks for sharing!

8. Maggie
    August 12, 2016 / 2:23 pm

I never use "real" sunscreen on my face because it's in the BB cream I put on every morning. Have you tried makeup containing SPF or does that cause a reaction as well?

9. Sarah
    August 12, 2016 / 2:33 pm

I have a similar problem with sunscreens on my face! I LOVE the Josie Maran kind- it just FEELS so nice on your skin! I also got a tube of MDSolarSciences MD Creme Mineral Beauty Balm, SPF 50 that I really enjoy. It's not much cheaper than the Josie Maran, but I like that it gives enough of a tint that it doesn't make your face white as a ghost!

10. Jillian
    August 12, 2016 / 2:34 pm

i need to try those pea + jelly sandwiches! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

11. Bama Girl in TX
    August 12, 2016 / 2:55 pm

Not to be a Debbie Downer….but all those distractions at dinner just to get her to eat are not going to translate well to her eating dinner well at friends/family/restaurants. I say this out of experience with my now almost-13 year old. It's ok if they don't eat dinner. But coaxing them with all the stuff will backfire.

12. Candace
    August 12, 2016 / 3:35 pm

My son used to have the same issue with the sun/sunscreen. We switched to Babyganics this year and he's had no issues at all. Plus, it's only $9.99 at Target! My hubs and I use it to and it's great.

13. ababygrowsinbrooklyn.squarespace.com
    August 12, 2016 / 3:45 pm

Have you tried Acure brand sunscreen? My toddler was reacting to EVERYTHING but we finally had some luck with Acure brand. They also make a great bug repellent stick. ababygrowsinbrooklyn.squarespace.com

14. Mary Leigh
    August 12, 2016 / 3:53 pm

Littles are funny with their eating needs. Very creative to take turns with the mickey chair/dinner set. Sometimes you just do whatever you can to get food in their little tummies!

15. Robin
    August 12, 2016 / 4:38 pm

There are so many sunscreens on the market. Check out colorescience. They make a mineral brush on SPF50 sunscreen with zinc and titanium dioxide. It's paraben and fragrance free and great for the minis too. Sephora will be carrying the line soon. Also look into vanicream. That is a great line of products for people with sensitive skin. These are some of the things i recommend to my patients as I work in dermatology. Hope this helps and hope you find one you like and works for you!!

16. Jessica | Being Bradfords
    August 12, 2016 / 9:46 pm

The Rodan+ Fields Soothe Mineral Sunscreen would be great for you!

17. amandamatou
    August 12, 2016 / 10:31 pm

These are my favorite face sunscreens.Both neutrogena….clear face spf 30, healthy defense moisturizer with spf 30.Also the Annie's pea b & j, are they in the frozen section?

18. Kristen Henderson
    August 14, 2016 / 11:41 pm

Have you tried neutrogena clear face? I am sensitive to sun as well and I swear by neutrogena sunscreens!

19. The Girl who Loved to Write
    August 15, 2016 / 1:47 pm

Ooh definitely trying the avocado oil!