Caroline asked to bake a cake a few weekends ago. Her request was that it needed to be a pink cake with delicious icing and maybe even some strawberries. And so, together we baked a double layered strawberry poke cake…A recipe note on this cake, or I guess you can call it a learning experience — I originally added a cup of milk to my cool whip frosting but would not recommend it. The icing consistency made it difficult to frost the cake and had more of a pudding consistency instead of a lighter whipped frosting.
Double Layered Strawberry Poke Cake
- 1 box Pillsbury Strawberry Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 10 oz container sliced frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed
Cool Whip Frosting Ingredients
- 1 16 oz container of Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 4 oz box of Vanilla Instant Pudding
- fresh strawberries for garnish
Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (we're reducing the heat so our cakes don't rise too fast and tall).
- Make the boxed cake mix according to the directions on the back.
- Pour the cake batter into two 8" round pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until toothpick cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cakes.
- Allow cakes to cool completely.
- While cakes are cooling, add thawed strawberries with syrup into a food processor or blender and pulse until pureed.
- Once cakes are completely cooled, poke rows of holes into the cakes (can use a wooden spoon handle, straw, chopstick, etc.) about 1-inch apart.
- Carefully pour the syrup into the holes without leaving excess syrup on the surface of the cake. Note: you will NOT use the entire container of syrup.
- Wrap cake pans with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or even overnight) to allow syrup to soak in. The longer you can refrigerate, the better.
- Remove cake from pan and set on plate or cake stand. Add a layer of thinly sliced fresh strawberries on top of base cake. Layer second cake on top of the base cake.
Make the Frosting
- In a large bowl, mix Cool Whip and dry pudding powder together until well combined.
- Frost the cake and garnish with fresh strawberries.
*consider pinning to save for later