Skip to Content

Thomas Dean {2 Months Old & Surgery Update}

We’ve made it halfway through our first big hurdle in this Bilateral Congenital Cataracts journey! Thursday night I didn’t sleep a wink in anticipation for Thomas’ surgery on Friday morning. As I laid awake holding my sleeping baby I re-read all of the encouraging comments you all left on my blog posts and Instagram. Have I mentioned how thankful I am for you all? 

In preparation for surgery we were instructed to administer 3 types of eye drops every few hours starting on Thursday. The doctor warned us that they would burn Thomas’ eyes but he didn’t cry at all or swat our hands away. He’s been such a champ through all of this. On the morning of his procedure he was not allowed to have any formula for at least eight hours before surgery. However, he could have breast milk up to four hours before. Lucky for me, I have quite a few really close girlfriends who still breastfeed so I didn’t have any problem getting some liquid gold for Thomas. He was pretty pumped too and took a big feeding before we headed to daycare to drop off

We arrived to the hospital extra early and that is when I started to get more nervous. After getting through the extensive check-in process we were finally escorted to a surgery prep room where we changed Thomas into his hospital gown and met with his team of doctors. They were all so wonderful and made us feel like they would take care of Thomas as if he was their own. We were over an hour past Thomas’ usual feeding time but he didn’t get upset at all. That boy. So great.

My two biggest fears/worries for surgery day were 1. the nurses inserting the IV and 2. watching Thomas get rolled away from me on a stretcher. I still have nightmares about seeing Caroline’s car seat strapped to a stretcher
and it’s an image I will forever wish I could un-see. I am happy to report that neither of those things happened (in front of me) thankfully. I was extremely relieved when the anesthesiologist informed us that Thomas would get his IV after he was already asleep. And when it was time to take him back to surgery several sweet nurses were
politely arguing over who would get to carry him back. It made me feel good to know they all were so excited to get their hands on him. They brought a warm blanket to wrap him in and CARRIED Thomas away from us after we gave him tons of kisses and prayed over him. This was still the hardest part of the day and we both sobbed.

Matt’s parents were waiting for us in the surgery waiting area. It was such a relief to see them. For over an hour it was hard to hold a normal conversation as we all pretended not to stare at the TV monitor displaying status updates on Thomas. I tried to distract myself by reading all of the comments written by my sweet readers again and it really helped get me through those 90 minutes. I bet you all didn’t realize how such a simple act of writing me a sentence would get me through some of the hardest moments of my life.

Finally, Dr. G arrived to the waiting area with the biggest smile. He couldn’t even wait to take us back to a private room before he exclaimed “The surgery could not have gone better!!! No complications at all and Thomas was absolutely perfect. I expect the left eye to go just as smooth. The nurses are so in love with him. Not supposed to do this buuuut I couldn’t help but take this picture for y’all before we started!” We smiled and passed around the picture of Thomas smiling right before they put him to sleep. Just one more reason we are so in love with our team of doctors!

What a relief. We made it through one of the hardest parts. About 30 minutes later we were notified that Matt and I were cleared to visit Thomas in recovery. As we approached his room we thought we were disrupting a nurse meeting because there were so many ladies huddled around him ohhh-ing and ahhh-ing.

Against Dr. G’s outpatient orders, the anesthesiologist adhered to hospital policy and informed us that even though Thomas came down from anesthesia beautifully he wanted us to stay for the next 10 hours for observation. So off to the pediatric wing we went and stayed until about midnight. It was the longest day but we could not be more thankful for such a smooth surgery and perfect little patient. Praise Jesus! 

Throughout the weekend Dr. G asked us to keep him informed if we had any concerns at all. He called us several times to check on our little man and we sent him pictures periodically of his eye progress. We are administering four types of eye drops several times a day and Thomas has to wear a patch over his eye so he (and Caroline) doesn’t touch it.

Right eye healing; Left eye with cataract.

Today we have a check up with our doctor duo to make sure things still look good and discuss the second surgery!

On to the more fun two month stuff…

Thomas at two months old — taken on the morning just before his two month appointment.

Two Month Highlights:

  • 10 lbs, 5 oz (11%); 22″ long (8%)
  • Eating 4 ounces of Earths Best Formula every 3 hours during the day. Taking last bottle at 8 pm and sleeping in pack & play until anywhere between 3 am – 7 am.
  • Size 1 diapers and 3 months clothing
  • Started daycare and is thriving! Loves his teachers. There are only two babies in class so he gets spoiled.
  • Rolling from belly to back and doesn’t mind tummy time at all!
  • Still on the fence on hair color but lots of people think it’s red. 
  • Cataract surgery on right eye complete!

Two month favorites: Activity Gym / Infant GownsJJ Cole Agility Carrier
/ Snuza Baby Movement Monitor / Mustela PhysiObebe No Rinse Cleanser / Dohm Sound MachineMicrowave Steamer Sterilizer / Wubanub / Boppy Lounger / Sheet SaversAden & Anais Swaddle Blankets / Summer Infant SwaddleMe Swaddles



Thomas & Caroline at 2 Months!


You'll also love


Saturday 10th of October 2015

I think I cried for you all... Im sure that was so very hard to have to endure! I am so glad he made it out of surgery ok & is doing well so far..


Monday 5th of October 2015

20151005 jundaMichael Kors Handbags Huge OffCoach Factory Handbags Outlet StoreLouis Vuitton Luxury Official Websitemichael kors outletUgg Boots,Ugg Boots Outlet,Ugg Outlet,Cheap Uggs,Uggs On Sale,Ugg Boots Clearance,Uggs For WomenLouis Vuitton Bags On Salemichael kors handbagstoms outletmichael kors handbagHollister Clothes for Girls Websiteugg bootstimberland boots for womenray ban sunglasses ukCoach Outlet Store Online Handbags Clearancemichael kors outletcoach outletcanada goose outlet onlinelouis vuitton outletnike trainersoakley sunglasses,oakley vault,prescription sunglasses,polarized sunglasses,aviator sunglasses,spy sunglasses,oakleys,oakley canada,cheap oakley sunglasses,oakley frogskins,oakley holbrook,cheap sunglasses,wayfarer sunglasses,oakley standard issue,fake oakleys,oakley glasses,,oakley prescription glasses,oakley goggles,sunglasses for men,oakley gascan,oakley store,oakleys sunglassescoach factory outletugg boots clearancehollister clothing storeMichael Kors Outlet Sale Clearanceugg bootsmichael korscheap jordan shoesMont Blanc Legend And Mountain Pen DiscountDiscount Ray Ban Polarized Sunglasseslouis vuitton


Thursday 24th of September 2015

So thankful everything went well!! Praying he has a similar experience next time. What a little champ!

Trista @ The Classy Chaos

Thursday 24th of September 2015

I have chill bumps and tears in my eyes. Praise Jesus! I cannot imagine how hard of a day that was and am so glad His grace was sufficient. And I'm so relieved that everything went beautifully and Thomas was the best patient ever! And you're right, it makes all the difference in the world when doctors and nurses are fighting over taking care of you baby. My oldest has had tubes twice and his tonsils removed. So, three surgeries. Not even close to as serious as Thomas, but I can feel for you... sitting there looking at the monitor, waiting, praying. Will be praying for the second one to go just as smoothly. God bless!

Susan Halvatzis

Wednesday 23rd of September 2015

Sooo happy to see this!! Praise God!!!!!