Summer Strawberry Coconut Cake

As promised, here is the recipe for Matt’s Strawberry Coconut birthday cake. When I found this recipe {here} a few months ago, I knew I had to make it, and Matt’s birthday was the perfect occasion {he loves coconut and strawberries}.

Summer Strawberry Coconut Cake

1 (18.5 ounce) box white cake mix
4 tbl strawberry gelatin powder
2 tsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbl granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup pureed strawberries
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, finely diced
1 cup coconut, finely shredded in food processor
several strawberries to fill cake and garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl and stir together. Beat in oil, eggs,
water, strawberry puree, vanilla, and coconut extract. Mix well. Stir in diced
strawberries and coconut. Pour into two 8- or 9-inch round pans, greased and
floured. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the center
of the cakes comes out clean and the cakes are pulling away from the sides of
the pans.

Put pans on wire racks and cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and leave on
racks to cool completely. While cooling, make icing.

Spread some icing on first layer, then top with sliced strawberries. Place
second layer on top and ice the rest of the cake. Cover entire cake in shredded
coconut and garnish with fresh strawberries. I don’t tint my coconut pink like
in the original recipe, because I think it’s so pretty to cut into the white
cake and have the surprise of bright pink inside. I like the contrast of the
white icing/coconut and pink cake.

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
2 16-oz. boxes powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add vanilla. Slowly beat in powdered
sugar until desired consistency. Add a tablespoon or so of milk if icing is too
thick.

This definitely turned out to be one of my favorite cake recipes. It is super moist, fresh and flavorful – the perfect summer cake!

For some of my cake tips and layering tutorial, check out {this post}.

1. A Wedding Story
    July 13, 2012 / 1:21 pm

Oh gee gosh, that looks absolutely delicious!

2. Laura @ Our Life in the Queen City
    July 13, 2012 / 2:01 pm

this looks 1.gorgeous and 2.delicious! definitely on the "must bake" list!have a great weekend!

3. Amanda
    July 13, 2012 / 2:27 pm

YUM! This definitely will be my next cake attempt 🙂

4. Jess
    July 13, 2012 / 2:37 pm

I'm leaving for Denver this weekend, but when I get back this is the first thing I'm making! It looks so delish and the perfect summer dessert.

5. Christy {SparklesandSpinach}
    July 13, 2012 / 2:58 pm

That cake looks SO good!!! I think I might just have to make it this weekend. Thanks for posting it! Happy Friday!!! =)

6. Dee Stephens
    July 13, 2012 / 3:18 pm

That looks delish! Reminds me of the Dolly Madison cakes – Zingers!

7. Romance In A Glance
    July 13, 2012 / 3:56 pm

That looks divine! I think you should ship out cakes to all of us, LOL! YUM!

8. Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren
    July 13, 2012 / 5:13 pm

I cannot wait to try this! It looks soooo good!

9. Kristen Ostow
    July 13, 2012 / 7:21 pm

That looks AMAZING! Great receipe for the summer. I'll have to try making it.

10. Melinda {Delighting in Details}
    July 13, 2012 / 8:13 pm

Oh my, this looks to die for! What a perfect girly cake for summer. Will have to try it out 🙂

11. Autumn
    July 13, 2012 / 10:53 pm

I can't wait to try this! It looks wonderful!

12. Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog)
    July 14, 2012 / 12:51 pm

That is the most beautiful photo.

13. Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog)
    July 14, 2012 / 1:08 pm

Just promoted your blog on my fan facebook page, called you the "younger Martha Stewart". If only I had ounce of your domestic abilities, but I"m a travel writer so I put my energy in searching for luxury hotels when the kids aren't crawling all over me. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnorthcarolinacharm.blogspot.com%2F2012%2F07%2Fsummer-strawberry-coconut-cake.html&h=rAQEDG5JRAQF-eQVcA9TDQDeAort3vY-bv0fYaAvaXFAWqg&enc=AZMmhuWYSdjsLj1bxravJOdXaIBF9lmBKiIZfmdOVouCCxQtcMKpjrZKibyiO7bKhzFwjdRDjV1H4yeZmoBm_zJH

14. Colleen
    July 16, 2012 / 4:25 pm

Oh no. This is not something I needed to see. Now someone is going to have to block my entry to all grocery stores lest I purchase these ingredients, make the cake, and stuff it entirely in my face. Sounds so delicious!

15. Megan@TwoDelighted
    July 16, 2012 / 11:34 pm

This looks truly unbelievable lady! You are one awesome wife!

16. Vargas
    January 16, 2013 / 10:10 pm

17. Anonymous
    January 30, 2013 / 12:48 am

Plеase let me knoω if you're looking for a author for your blog. You have some really good posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd loνе to writе ѕome сontent for уour blog in exchange foг a link back to minе.Please blast me an emaіl if interеsted.Regаrds!httρ://www.dfw-taxiсаb.com/ouг-blog/My web page : taxicab in irving

18. Sunita Chaudhar
    January 9, 2014 / 10:03 am

Really liked this post! cakes looks ummy I use to do buy wedding cakes as its time saving.very informative post about chocolates gifts.thanks for sharing this.