A Small Miracle

After 28 terrifying
days, Matt and I are relieved to announce that we have witnessed a small
miracle – our fur baby, Charlie, is well and cancer-free! It took me awhile to write
about it on the blog because it has been such an excruciatingly painful experience
– by far our most difficult trial in our life together.

I know my life always looks
peachy on the blog, and I try to only talk about positive things, but
this past month has been a far cry from positive. In an effort to be real with
you, here is how our last 28 days have played out…

When Charlie
stopped eating his food a few weeks ago, we knew something was very, very wrong
and started googling “dog not eating.” Lots of sites suggested that dogs can
get bored with their food, may be depressed, may have an upset stomach, etc.
Well, after a couple days of trying to coax him to eat his favorite foods {ice
cream, eggs, gourmet dog food, etc.} we became very concerned and decided to take him to the vet. The vet
immediately took some x-rays and called us with terrible news – Charlie had
intestinal blockage in two places. Even worse, his intestines had kinked
themselves in an effort to digest the mystery items. The doctor recommended
emergency surgery, and we immediately agreed to it, no matter the cost. The
surgery took 4 hours longer than they had expected and multiple complications
arose. Afterwards they called to inform us that they would have to hospitalize Charlie
to keep him on fluids, pain medication and monitor him for infections. Earlier
they had told us we could bring him home afterwards, so we knew something was

A few days
later we received even worse news.
Charlie still would not eat so they scheduled an ultrasound to detect other possible
problems. In addition, he had developed an infection so they would have to keep
him for a few more days.

We cried, a
lot. We didn’t sleep. We couldn’t focus at work. We lived at the vet’s office
{much to our doctor’s chagrin}, visiting him up to 5 times a day. We went

Our house was very

The next
afternoon the ultrasound results came back with even more terrifying news –
they found a large mass in Charlie’s bladder that they believed to be
cancerous. They would have to run a second ultrasound in a few weeks to be

Matt and I
prepared ourselves for the worst, while praying for a small miracle. Charlie is
only 6 years old, and we could not even fathom our lives without him.

A week later,
the doctor released Charlie so he could be more comfortable at home. His
staples were just over a foot long, he was in a lot of pain, and he still wasn’t
eating. We had to force feed him liquid dog food from a syringe, and shove 3
different prescriptions down his throat every day. It was awful.

Friends and
family constantly checked in on Charlie {and us} to make sure we were okay.

Over the next
couple weeks, Charlie seemed to be getting better and eventually started
nibbling on his normal dog food. Overjoyed was an understatement.  And
although things were moving back to normal, we still had the looming fear of
what the ultrasound would tell us in a few weeks.

Yesterday was
Charlie’s ultrasound. The doctors still aren’t sure how to explain it, but the
mass in Charlie’s bladder completely disappeared. I, on the other hand, know
exactly what happened – a small miracle. Our greatest fears were relieved. Matt excitedly handed
over our final payment towards our $4,000 vet bill and we brought
Charlie home and celebrated.

1. Franks Fam
    June 15, 2012 / 1:46 pm

Brought tears to my eyes. So happy Charlie is home and healthy! 🙂 xx

2. KTBFerg
    June 15, 2012 / 1:53 pm

Oh Christina! I'm so glad that Charlie is well now! xoxo

3. According to Jax
    June 15, 2012 / 1:53 pm

Awww this made me tear up! I'm such a dog lover and it so sad to see a dog in pain. So glad hes better!! 🙂

4. Melissa
    June 15, 2012 / 1:59 pm

Bless your heart! I don't know what we would do if this happened to our doggy! Sooooooo glad to hear everything is okay and he if feeling back to normal!

5. Nicole-Lynn
    June 15, 2012 / 2:07 pm

Oh my goodness.. praise God! I have tears in my eyes reading this! So happy your Charlie is OK!

6. Amanda
    June 15, 2012 / 2:07 pm

Goodness gracious, friend! What a horrible experience. I am so glad that Charlie is well now and back to normal.

7. Kelly
    June 15, 2012 / 2:16 pm

we have a fur baby that I don't know what we would do without her! SO glad to hear Charlie is doing better! He's a miracle puppy!

8. Channing
    June 15, 2012 / 2:20 pm

Crying at my desk! So glad he's ok. Now he can really get his ball!

9. megan
    June 15, 2012 / 2:20 pm

This post definitely brought tears to my eyes..sad and then happy ones. Brady is also 6 and I cannot imagine life without him. We lost our childhood golden retriever to cancer when he was 12 and it was so sad to see him go downhill. I'm glad that you'll get many more years with your baby, Charlie! 🙂

10. Hailey
    June 15, 2012 / 2:21 pm

I bawled reading this. I can't imagine what these past few weeks have been like for y'all. So glad to hear Charlie is doing so much better! Praying everything stays great.Xoxo

11. Meghan @ More from Meg
    June 15, 2012 / 2:36 pm

Bought tears to my eyes – but they were happy tears – yay for Charlie!! 🙂

12. Kelly
    June 15, 2012 / 2:46 pm

So happy for sweet Charlie!

13. Erin
    June 15, 2012 / 3:55 pm

OH my goodness this is too sweet. I love the picture of him "reading" the card. Yay Charlie!

14. Lori Supek
    June 15, 2012 / 4:12 pm

Glad to hear he's feeling better!! I know exactly what you're going through, a couple months ago my dog suddenly had 4 Grand Mal seizures in one weekend and we thought we were going to lose him. He's 13 and never had a health problem before. With the help of phenobarbital and a little positive thinking, he's doing much better and is back to his normal self. It's funny how we become so attached to these animals, they are our family!! keeping you in my thoughts!

15. Robin
    June 15, 2012 / 4:21 pm

Oh my gosh that is so scary! I am SO happy he is okay! The picture o him reading his card is the sweetest thing I have ever seen. And that last picture is just amazing. So happy for your family!

16. Kate
    June 15, 2012 / 4:23 pm

Aw, I love the love that you have your your dog… so sweet!

17. Nicole
    June 15, 2012 / 4:25 pm

Glad to hear Charlie is doing better! I'll be thinking of him…and you guys!

18. the girl in the red shoes
    June 15, 2012 / 5:22 pm

Oh my gosh Christina!!! I'm crying right now. I am SO glad Charlie is okay! I know how hard it is to see your dog in pain and am so happy he is feeling better!!! What wonderful news! xoxo

19. Annie
    June 15, 2012 / 5:34 pm

Poor Charlie and poor yall! Pups become family! (PS – I grew up with a golden retriever named Charlie…I was OBSESSED with him…so much that I still sleep with a stuffed animal named Charlie) I'm ridiculous.

20. CatWoman
    June 15, 2012 / 6:10 pm

I'm glad to hear Charlie is doing well. Its very traumatic and stressful on both the animal and parents when they're sick. I just had a heartbreaking time with one of my cats that I've had since she was 4 months old and she was 17 years old. Her kidneys were failing and I had to put her down. I know she's in a better place, but it was so hard to make that decision. I'm glad your story turned out happy. They are a part of our hearts and our families.

21. Sarah Elizabeth
    June 15, 2012 / 7:32 pm

I was holding back the tears until that last picture! Tears of joy. So glad Charlie is well! God is good.

22. B
    June 15, 2012 / 8:19 pm

So happy to hear the good news that Charlie is well!! But very sorry to hear all that you had to go through!! Thank goodness for miracles!!

23. Kaylyn
    June 15, 2012 / 11:27 pm

I can't even imagine the pain you've been through. Our dogs are literally a part of the family. So glad he is better! 🙂

24. Whitney of Washington
    June 16, 2012 / 12:35 am

I'm so glad to hear that Charlie is ok! Pups quickly become part of our families and truly make a house a home. I know this is an answer to your prayers!

25. The Pink Growl
    June 16, 2012 / 2:52 am

This is amazing news – soooo glad to hear it!! Pups are definitely members of our family and dealing with their illnesses is just like dealing with a family member's. Now you can truly have a happy weekend!

26. Whitney
    June 16, 2012 / 6:30 am

Hi Christina, I am new to your cute blog, the first post I read was about your Charlie.I am so happy for you guys that he is doing better and is at home with you again. I also have a 6 year old yellow lab named Champ who holds my heart in his paws. You experience must have been so awful! I hope and pray for you all that he will remain healthy and happy!

27. Katrina Hutchins {come+together}
    June 16, 2012 / 1:30 pm

this makes my heart smile!!!!!

28. Caitlin C.
    June 16, 2012 / 6:42 pm

Poor Charlie!! I'm so glad he's doing better and wow, God really took care of him. I love the picture of Charlie reading his card – too cute. 🙂

29. Katie @ Lady Million
    June 17, 2012 / 1:25 am

Congrats Christina! That's amazing. It's good to finally find your blog 🙂 You are just SO adorable and I had to follow 🙂 Hope you are having a great weekend!KatieLady Million

30. May
    June 17, 2012 / 8:14 pm

I am so happy to hear Charlie is doing so much better!! xoxox

31. Celeste
    June 18, 2012 / 12:56 am

poor Charlie! So glad to hear he is getting better!!

32. The Whitfields
    June 18, 2012 / 11:56 am

Poor Charlie! I'm so glad he's okay. I have 2 golden retrievers & they become such a part of your family. Cheers for Charlie!!!

33. Life In Heels Blog
    June 18, 2012 / 2:17 pm

I got teary reading this!! I felt so bad for you guys. I hope my baby never dies. Seriously. lol SO glad hes better!!!

34. Jess
    June 18, 2012 / 2:38 pm

I'm so glad that your fur baby is okay! I couldn't imagine what the last month has been like and seeing the picture of him reading the card–so cute and adorable. Glad you guys can now celebrate!

35. Mel (Northern Lights)
    June 18, 2012 / 2:57 pm

So happy my little boyfriend is ok! Now, can you please throw him another pawty? xoxo

36. Laura
    June 18, 2012 / 3:06 pm

i'm so so glad charlie's doing well!!! they're a member of the family too, and when something isn't right we'll do anything to fix it! so glad he's healthy!

37. Sarah
    June 18, 2012 / 8:19 pm

So glad to hear he is okay!!!

38. Megan@TwoDelighted
    June 19, 2012 / 1:28 am

Heartbreak! I couldn't even imagine. I am SO thrilled he is doing better. I am sure you guys were besides yourselves. Yay Charlie Boo! XOXO

39. Colleen
    June 19, 2012 / 12:39 pm

So glad Charlie is doing better! It is amazing how pets become such a huge part of your family. Our cat is like our daughter, we would be devastated if anything happened to her.

40. Jill @ ACharmedLife
    June 19, 2012 / 2:39 pm

oh my gosh, that sounds like such a horrible ordeal 🙁 🙁 i am SO glad for you & your family that your sweet furbaby is okay. it truly is a miracle, and i am SO happy that charlie is okay 🙂 i will be thinking and praying for his health these next months!

41. Andrea
    June 19, 2012 / 2:53 pm

What a traumatic experience for you to endure. Pets are our children, so for them to be sick and in pain is awful to watch. Glad to hear that Charlie is doing well!!!

42. Dee Stephens
    June 19, 2012 / 3:11 pm

I've been on vacation so I'm just now catching up.WOW, is all I have to say! God is amazing! Prayers answered!!We had some friends who went through something similar with their dog and found out that he had eaten a pair of her thong undies and it got tangled in his intestines.Sounds funny..but it wasn't.I'm a freak about stuff like that with Buddy. You never know.Our pooch is 7-years old and I can't imagine life without him as well.Congrats and thank you Jesus!! xoxo

43. Steel Magnolia
    June 19, 2012 / 3:33 pm

Yay, Charlie!!We have a "Charlie" too, only 10 months old. I can't imagine anything happening to him. Our dogs become such a part of the family, what y'all went through is incredible.Here's to hoping he has a speedy recovery and feels back to his usual self soon!

44. Mindy
    June 19, 2012 / 7:07 pm

Aw, this post just brought tears to my eyes. So glad to hear your Charlie is doing so much better! He looks so happy in that last picture! 🙂

45. Kayln
    June 19, 2012 / 10:20 pm

Omg Christina!!! I'm so glad that he's okay!!! I totally understand having a dog that's a part of your family so I'm THRILLED to hear Charlie is healthy and back to his old self :). And seeing a sweet pup in a birthday hat sort of made my day 🙂

46. Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog)
    June 22, 2012 / 12:35 am

What great news. I'm so glad Charlie is doing well.

47. Sandywqum