I made chicken shawarma quinoa bowls for dinner on Sunday night and doubled the recipe to use for lunches throughout this week. These have been such a fun and delicious change from our usual lunch salads and I have been surprised how well the leftovers have kept in the fridge (I did keep the quinoa & veggie mix separated). If you’re looking for a lower carb option, you can swap out the quinoa for greens. However, if you like quinoa, I highly suggest getting the Seeds of Change Brown Rice & Quinoa. This delicious blend is SOOO amazing and only takes 90 seconds to heat in the microwave which saves a lot of time.
Chicken Shawarma Quinoa Bowls
- 1 package Seeds of Change Brown Rice & Quinoa
- naan flatbreads, toasted or warmed slightly
- tzatziki sauce (optional)
- 1.5-2 lbs boneless/skinless chicken breast
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- salt & pepper
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 seedless cucumber, diced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Lemon Tahini Dressing (Optional)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425
- Make the shawarma chicken marinade. In a small bowl, add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and spices and whisk. Place the chicken in Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over the chicken. Marinate for a few hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on baking sheet. Pour excess marinade over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked throughout. Transfer chicken to a plate and allow to cool, then thinly slice.
- While the chicken is roasting, combine onion, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, and parsley in a bowl and dress with juice of one lemon and 2 TBSP olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- If making the tahini sauce, whisk together tahini, lemon juice, and minced garlic. Slowly add warm water, whisking well until thin and saucy. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- In individual bowls, add quinoa as base layer then top with veggies and chicken. Drizzle with tahini sauce. Add a dallop of tzatzikisauce (optional). Serve with warm naan on side.