You’re going to want to add this Italian chicken sandwich recipe to your easy weeknight meal rotation! This flavorful sandwich is loaded with juicy marinated chicken between a nice toasty bun with melted provolone cheese. It’s a breeze to make, requires just a few simple ingredients, and is packed with flavor. This meal is especially perfect to have waiting for you at home after evening sports practice or a late day at work, and the leftovers make for a fantastic lunch.
Italian Chicken Sandwich Ingredients
The beauty of this recipe is that it only requires a few simple ingredients! There’s no washing, prepping, or chopping required. You’re just going to toss a few things in the crockpot and let the magic happen.
- Chicken Breast
- Petite Diced Tomatoes
- Italian Dressing: You can use your favorite Italian dressing, but our favorite is the Olive Garden Signature Italian Dressing.
- Garlic Powder + Salt & Pepper
- Sliced Provolone Cheese
- Sandwich buns: Brioche buns, crusty Italian bread, garlic bread, hoagie rolls, or ciabatta bread all work great for this sandwich.
Don’t forget to check out my Crockpot Italian Chicken Sandwich REEL too!
Why We Love This Italian Chicken Sandwich
- The leftovers are perfect for lunch, so double the batch if you can and reheat the next day for another sandwich, serve it over a grain bowl, or on top of your salad!
- Just a few simple ingredients that you can pull right out of your pantry and freezer!
- There’s no washing, prepping, or chopping required. And the only dish you’ll dirty to make this recipe is the crockpot!
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper
- 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1.5 cups Italian dressing
- Fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Sliced provolone cheese
- Buns: brioche buns, crusty Italian bread, garlic bread, hoagie rolls, or ciabatta bread all work great for this sandwich.
1. Place your chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Top with tomatoes. Pour in Italian dressing.
2. Slow cook on low for 6 hours.
3. Remove chicken and shred. Save the tomato juice mixture!
4. Assemble sandwiches: On a bun, add sliced provolone cheese (and toast for a few minutes to get it nice and melted). Pile on a generous amount of shredded chicken. Sprinkle basil over chicken (optional) and finish with a spoonful of
tomato juice mixture from crockpot.