If you loved my easy breakfast bowls, then you’ll love this casserole even more! This recipe is perfect for making on Sundays for an easy breakfast option throughout the week. You can also freeze the casserole (before the last step) and bake it later, especially if you want to prepare it ahead of time for a family or holiday breakfast gathering!
TIP: I used fresh ingredients for this specific version, but you can skip a few steps by using frozen veggies!
- 12 eggs
- 1 package bacon (consider using thick cut!)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed (can use frozen cubed sweet potatoes)
- 3 cups brussels sprouts, sliced or chopped (can use frozen chopped brussels sprouts)
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup milk or coconut milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease 9×13" dish with olive oil.
- Fry bacon until crispy in skillet or bake in oven at 425 until crispy (about 15-20 minutes, rotating halfway through. Transfer to paper towel to cool, then chop into small pieces. Save your bacon grease!!!
- Drizzle half the bacon grease on a large baking sheet. Add sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts. Season with salt, pepper and half the garlic powder. Bake at 425 until crispy (about 25 minutes). Let cool.
- Add remaining bacon grease to skillet. Over medium heat, add the onions and cook slowly (about 25 minutes) until onions are soft and caramelized. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl (or stand mixer), beat eggs and milk together.
- Assemble the casserole. In the greased baking dish, add the sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with remaining garlic powder. Add onions and bacon. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly on top.
- If FREEZING, wrap casserole dish tight with foil and place in freezer.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until the edges are browned
and casserole is bubbly. Allow casserole to cool before slicing.