Today I am updating and sharing a fun old post from a 2019! There are lots of new faces around here since my original fun facts post in 2016, so many of you may not know some of these things about me! And for those of you who have seen this, I’ve slightly updated this list with some new fun facts too!
20 Things You May Not Know About Me
- My first car was a red 1994 Chevy S10 pickup truck. It was a stick shift and I drove the heck out of it until it bit the dust in college.
- My second car was a 2001 sparkly blue Buick Regal my parents bought from an old lady down the street who was moving into a nursing home. Yep, you can read that full story, as well as Matt’s short lived Buick purchase here. (Note: I swear we don’t trade in our cars as much as it may look! Matt loves and has been driving his truck since 2013, and I’ll be driving my 2009 SUV until the wheels fall off.)
- In middle school I broke my left arm and my left hip in a rollerblading accident. And I still love to rollerblade to this day.
- For my 18th birthday my dad put me through a scuba diver certification program so we could dive together. True story: During our dive at Pompano Beach I got vertigo and started passing out at around 30 feet under water and my dad saved me.
- I was also a surfer back in the day — but not a good one, and would surf with my dad many Saturday mornings when I still lived at home.
- I had a prophylactic double mastectomy in 2015. You can read more about that here.
- I’ve held a job since I was 15 years old. Interesting employers included Winn-Dixie bagger (promoted to cashier at 16), seasonal job at Honey Baked Ham (second worst job I ever held), lifeguard every summer, Express (worst job ever — I hated it), nanny throughout college, wilderness camp counselor (see fun fact #14) and professional internships every summer in college (hospital PR department, medical device marketing department) and more! I never had less than two jobs at a time until I graduated college!
- I ran a breast cancer half marathon in college with my best friends. It was ugly and I was woefully unprepared for it, but I made it to the finish line. My knees will never forget it.
- In college I saved up and backpacked Europe for a month by myself.
- I don’t know how to whistle. Or do a cartwheel.
- I had only planned to live in Charlotte briefly before returning home to Florida…but then I met my husband at a bar a few months after I moved to Charlotte. You can read more about that here.
- I’ve never colored my hair before — a true redhead! When I was younger, I would get so mad at my mom for not letting me color my hair with “sun in” (a true 80s kid) with the rest of my friends and siblings.
- French fries are my favorite food. I don’t like brownies or fried chicken.
- I spent a summer in North Carolina’s Pisgah National Forest as a camp counselor — it was my favorite job I’ve ever had and was my main inspiration for moving to Charlotte after I graduated. I can build one hell of a tent out of a tarp, love a good pita pizza over a campfire and can make the most comfy pillow using a stuff sack.
- I’m 4’11” tall.
- I have pretty handwriting. I was obsessed with practicing different fonts when I was little and had binders full of traced alphabets. And when I got engaged, I attempted to learn calligraphy so I could address my own wedding invitations. Several were returned to me because the post office couldn’t read them…
- I do not like bowling.
- Lakes freak me out a bit and I’ve always been a little grossed out by them. I much prefer the ocean!
- I was a Kappa Delta at University of Florida and lived in the sorority house for 3 years — and loved it!
- Despite the forest being one of my favorite places, I am terrified of ticks.
Anything surprise you?