Poll: Morning Workouts

Dear early risers who workout,

Those of you who get up early to workout, HOW do you do it? Matt and I both have gym memberships. In fact, we always have. And I think we both average using them twice a month? It’s terrible. The problem is I. Love. Sleep. And I need it. Like, a full 8 hours minimum kind of requirement. Unfortunately, the only time either of us have to work out doesn’t exist during our day so if I want to fit into last year’s skinny jeans, I have to carve out time that I would otherwise be sleeping to sweat. So for you crazy people I am so jealous of (especially moms), how do you keep yourself motivated to get out of bed morning after morning (even after the nights you spent slaying dragons in your kid’s room at 11 pm, 1:30 am & 3 am)? Do you have an accountability partner? Do you set your alarm and leave your phone across the room? Give me your tips and secrets.

Sincerely,

9 Round member searching for 6 am workout partner

1. Katy
    October 11, 2018 / 7:02 am

I am a crazy Orangetheory 5 am person. My son is a bit older, but it is so hard to get up. Lay out your clothes, down to socks and shoes. I think having a workout partner is key. I used to do powerwalking with a couple friends, and the same friends go to Orangetheory fitness. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that I get penalized if I late cancel. It will be a painful first couple of weeks, and then you will like the rash that you get from having all the energy from working out in the morning and things will start Falling into place.

• Kathleen
      October 11, 2018 / 1:37 pm

I have a 1 and 2 year old and also do 5am Orangetheory — either 4 or 5 weekdays. I make myself go to bed at 9:15 every night! I’ve been doing this since last December, and, while the first two weeks were rough, I haven’t been tired during the day at all. It helps that my littles are good sleepers for the most part, but there have been nights that I am up with one at 2am and I still make myself go to the morning workout because I don’t want to be fined HA. When that happens, I just go to sleep a little earlier the next night to make up for it. Long story short — you can totally do it and get enough sleep.

• Becky
        October 11, 2018 / 10:58 pm

I love Orangetheory and the cancelation fee was enough to motivate me!!!

2. October 11, 2018 / 7:36 am

Following! I literally just said this to my husband last night. Like, I KNOW I need to carve out the time if it’s important to me, but I just cannot seem to wake up at 5am and work out in the dark and cold. I love sleep. When do people do it?!

3. Megan Parker
    October 11, 2018 / 8:09 am

Following as well. I NEED my sleep and it’s all I can do to get most mornings. I really need to carve out some time to workout but it’s so hard when it’s dark.

4. Rachel Noyes
    October 11, 2018 / 8:10 am

I cancelled my gym membership a few years ago because I wasn’t going enough. I have some small hand weights at home, a medicine ball, a stability ball, and some bands and just workout at home. I have found some great videos on amazon prime or make up my own Tabata workout. I never do more than 30 minutes and maybe 3-4 days a week. I just make it work! Sometimes I am doing videos with kids trying to “help” me but I think it’s great for them to see their parents being healthy.

• jennifer
      October 11, 2018 / 1:03 pm

Yes! Second this. Gyms don’t work for us. But healthy, good, regular workouts at home do. Find when you do have some wiggle room & work from there. Sleep is more important in my book than working out.

5. Christine W
    October 11, 2018 / 8:18 am

Agree with having EVERYTHING set out, even water bottle filled so you can get ready half asleep. If you can find someone close to you and carpool is great. Then you have to pick someone up or they are picking you up, no backing out! Pick a class to go to (that you like!) so there is a start time. Just “going to the gym” is hard to motivate yourself because you can talk yourself into 5 more minutes of sleep vs. a class you can’t be late for. We use to split 3 days a week each (MWF me and TThSat him). Whoever was getting up early got out of getting up with the kids the night before. Set a bedtime alarm and go to bed! My biggest problem was staying up late the night before and being too tired the next morning. After a couple weeks you’ll get use to it and start to love it. Also, reward yourself and get coffee or a smoothie post workout sometimes with a buddy. The social side of it helps me get up. Good luck!!

• Christina
      Author
      October 11, 2018 / 5:57 pm

adding the pre-filled water bottle to my list!!! this is a great idea!! Also, I like the idea of whoever is getting up early doesn’t have to get up the night before — that is usually what kills BOTH of us and neither of us end up working out. This is a great solution! And I’m totally guilty of staying up too late watching just ONE more show. haha.

6. Sarah
    October 11, 2018 / 8:25 am

I go to FiA in CHARLOTTE and they are all early morning workouts. What gets me out of bed is riding with a neighbor or telling someone to hold me accountable. Like you, if it doesn’t happen first thing in the morning it won’t happen at all.

• Christine W
      October 12, 2018 / 7:27 am

Hi Fellow FiA! I loved FiA and did it when we lived in Charlotte, highly recommend to others! My name was Fluffy 😀

• Sarah
        October 13, 2018 / 3:20 pm

I am Pepsi! So glad you enjoyed it too!

7. Sarah
    October 11, 2018 / 8:34 am

I go to CycleBar several mornings a week (5:30 a.m. during the week). I usually meet my best friend there, which is a huge motivator. It was tough at first, but like a previous poster said it starts to feel wrong if I DON’T go…I even ended up going at 6:45 p.m. last night b/c I couldn’t make the morning class! I lay out my clothes the night before, get up about 20 mins before I need to leave, get ready, make a cup of coffee to take with me and drink about 1/2 of it before I get there. It’s tough, but it also keeps me accountable with food the rest of the day b/c I don’t want to ruin the hard work. It feels great to get it out of the way and not have to worry about rushing out of work to make a later class (which always seems to get derailed). Hope this helps!

• Christina
      Author
      October 11, 2018 / 5:59 pm

I like that you make a cup of coffee in the morning before working out! I am so groggy when I get to the gym that half of my workout feels like I’m slacking. Maybe this is the solution to being a little more awake!

• Sarah
        October 12, 2018 / 9:36 am

It definitely helps with a little burst of caffeinated energy! 🙂

8. Anna
    October 11, 2018 / 8:46 am

For me, I started telling myself that if I didn’t get it done in the morning, it won’t get done. My gym will charge you $20 if you don’t cancel 12 hours ahead of time, so that alone helps tremendously. If your gym doesn’t do that, you should $20 to a fund (like for your date nights or something). Last, I started treating myself with coffee from my favorite place after class. It’s a little treat, but I know if I finish my workout I can get some delicious coffee! It’s never fun to wake up early, but eventually your body gets used to it… and you feel like a badass afterwards!

9. ML
    October 11, 2018 / 8:54 am

The hardest part is getting in the routine to do it, but once you do, you won’t look back. Yes, it is tough to physically get those feet on the floor but it will give you more energy during the day you didn’t know you had and make you feel so much better! I also think one key is that you need to have a workout you enjoy doing (if thats possible, LOL) to stay motivated. I do Pure Barre a lot at 5:30 am because its a tough workout because it’s not an incredibly intense cardio where I am struggling to wake up. Another tip – be realistic about it. You aren’t going to get up every morning at 5:30 – especially with young kiddos. My husband and I split MW or TTh and alternate Fridays.

10. BmutRJ2Oq1vU61St6ZZz/iWHf5M1EMB9cfgRC2AHZ7M=
    October 11, 2018 / 8:54 am

The first few days of waking up at 5am are super hard, but once you get into a routine it becomes normal. I would suggest you try it for two weeks and see if you get used to it. As others have said, having a workout buddy is extremely helpful, but it’s also important to learn how to motivate yourself on days when your buddy is sick or on vacation, etc. Another option is to work out after the kids are in bed, if you’re just not a morning person. Obviously the worst part of that arrangement is skipping the wine with dinner.

11. Emily
    October 11, 2018 / 9:01 am

I am admittedly an extreme early morning person who has no qualms about being in bed at 9 pm, and my kids rarely wake up at night. So that’s half the battle for me. I like a lot of the ideas here, especially what Christine suggested above. In addition to having a work out buddy, you may eventually be motivated with camaraderie with fellow early morning sweaters- it’s often the same group you see every morning and you get to know each other. And as others said, after a while, you’ll feel worse energy and focus wise when you skip (at least I do).

Start slowly and cut yourself some slack. With two kids ages three and under, I just aim for 3-4 days a week. It’s the best I can do right now. Sometimes a week or two goes by where it’s not possible (work travel, sick kids, etc), and that’s ok, it’s the stage of life. With little ones, I personally think SLEEP is my biggest priority, and exercise, while important, will take a back seat in favor of extra sleep because otherwise everyone and everything suffers around me. So maybe just aim for 1-2 days a week initially, switching off with Matt, and slowly build as you can, and don’t get down on yourself when life gets in the way.

12. Jill
    October 11, 2018 / 9:10 am

I’m with you on the sleeping. It delights me to no end that both of my kids are old enough now to get up, feed the dog, get dressed for school, and make some form of breakfast for themselves before my husband and I even get downstairs. I workout at lunch because it’s the only time of day when I wouldn’t rather be doing anything else. My gym is really close to where I work, so I can pop up for a run or a class, or a swim, and either shower quickly or at least go through several baby wipes to get back to looking presentable for the rest of the day. It helps me stay alert for the afternoon as well. I know people who do their workouts in the morning and they LOVE it, so maybe if you get into a habit of it, it’ll start to feel good and less like you wish you were still asleep 🙂

13. Heather
    October 11, 2018 / 9:13 am

The only thing that has EVER worked for me is classes – particularly barre class. So first, why classes work – I have to pay for my package and then sign up, and if I no-show, I get charged anyway. I have until 8pm the night before to cancel, so that gives me an out if I already know a kid is sick or something. I’m cheap and the classes are not cheap so this is huge motivation for me, ha ha. I lay out my outfit, set my alarm, wake up get dressed and go. Second, barre class is amazing. My 5:30am class has a ton of working moms, everyone is so supportive of each other. You can be in terrible shape and jump right into barre, and after you’re doing it for a year you still get an incredible workout out of it. Signed, mom of a 6 yo and 2.5 yo.

14. Shawna
    October 11, 2018 / 9:36 am

Hello,

I recommend working out at home. Hands down best decision I ever did for myself. You don’t have to waste the time you don’t have in the morning running to the gym. Beachbody on Demand is a great option. You get all there workout programs for a yearly rate and it’s not a lot of money either. You have to invest in a few weights, based on which workout program you do, but you can do so much with not a lot. Everything is laid out for you. Obviously, the hardest part is getting out of bed and executing it. 🙂 Lay your workout clothes the night before and roll out of bed put them on and go do it. It does take time to discipline yourself, but I promise you gets easier day by day. If you have questions about Beachbody on Demand let me know, I am a coach (mainly for the discount), but truly believe in there programs and a lot of the products they offer. Beachbody home programs changed my life after having my second kid and no longer could make it to the gym. Good luck girly!

15. Alexa
    October 11, 2018 / 9:39 am

I’ve found that group classes/workouts help me with the early mornings! I’m a crazy 5:00 AM Orange Theory addict and the $12 no-show/late cancellation holds me accountable. Set your workout clothes, towel, and water out the night before so you have to do minimal thinking when you wake up. I set 3 alarms 5 minutes apart on my phone and a an alarm on my FitBit (over the top, but it works!) Just give yourself some grace in the beginning while your body adjusts and you’ll eventually get used to it 🙂

16. Amanda Fender
    October 11, 2018 / 9:47 am

I do 9 Round 3 mornings a week at 5:30 AM, and then on Saturday AM around 8 AM. My husband and I hold each other accountable. He goes as well, but in the afternoons since someone has to stay home with our daughter. I know that if I don’t get my butt up and go, he’s going to give me crap for it! HA! I’ve always been one to work out in the morning though, and I typically go to bed between 9 & 10 PM. Sleep is very important to me as well 🙂

How about if you and Matt hold each other accountable by putting a wager on it? For instance, if you don’t get up and go work out, then you have to put $5 in his “jar” or do a task that he normally does around the house that you despise doing? And vice versa, of course.

When I first started my early morning routine, it sucked so bad. But now, I know that I truly feel so much better and have much more energy when I do get up and work out, so I use that as a motivator as well! Happy to be an accountability partner for you!

17. Amy
    October 11, 2018 / 9:49 am

We just cancelled our gym membership because it’s on the other side of town and we just don’t have the time to get over there. However, I am a big fan of @opengym on Instagram. They are short workouts that only use your body weight. Check it out!

18. Kara Rae Johnson
    October 11, 2018 / 9:53 am

I did a 5am Workout class last year to train for the Tough Mudder. I am NOT a morning person, I work full time and have 2 kids.. so I made all of the excuses in the book to “not go” on some mornings. (it was a 5 day a week class). As soon as my neighbor signed up, and offered to drive us—I didn’t miss a single day. I made up so many excuses in my head, but every morning I got up (mostly out of fear of embarrassment in skipping) and it served as a tremendous accountability that I never would have had if I had driven myself.

19. Raven
    October 11, 2018 / 9:55 am

I had to start working out in the mornings to be able to fit it in. I now get up at 4:30 three times a week to make it to the gym. I echo all these other ladies. I lay my clothes/shoes/socks/earbuds/keys out the night before and fill up my water bottle in the fridge. It’s painfully difficult at first, but after it becomes a routine you will be on auto-pilot. I feel better and sleep better on the days I work out, and now when the alarm goes off (even when I don’t want to get up), I know I will regret not going and remind myself how much better I will feel if I just do it. Good luck! You’re a SuperMom! 🙂

20. October 11, 2018 / 10:00 am

I recently switch from my gym membership to Beach Body on Demand. I never thought I would be an at-home workout person, but I actually love it. It was such a grind getting dressed, getting water, getting in the car…that stopped me from going many mornings. Now, I just roll out of bed, head down to the basement, light and candle and go. I stream the workouts on my phone so I can watch DVR’d shows on the TV while I do the work-out. The 21 Day fix is a 30 minute sweat fest and it is awesome.

21. Julie
    October 11, 2018 / 10:13 am

I also just cancelled my gym membership to do beach body on demand. I set my alarm for 5:50 and am working out in my basement by 6:00. Right now I’m working through 21 Day Fix Extreme, I have also done Liift4 which is a 4 day/wk program. I just love 21DF because the workouts are so do-able and I don’t have to shower after most of them. Even though I dread getting up, at least I’m not also dreading the workout too. I save about 45 minutes not having to drive to the gym in the morning, and it also allows my husband to go running (or if I’m doing a running program we switch off mornings) so someone can be home with the kids. And if the kids wake up early they just wander down to the basement and play while I finish working out.

On a side note, I love your blog and your honesty about life in general!

22. Taylor
    October 11, 2018 / 11:00 am

I am 256, single, and no kids so I don’t know if I really count in answering this but I’ll leave my opinion here. I started getting up at 5am to exercise this spring. Like you I need at least 8 hours of sleep. It was a serious struggle at first. I mean REAL struggle to get up and get going especially on those mornings when I didn’t sleep very well. After about a month or so it became a normal thing. I remember getting sick for two weeks over the summer and I felt very off because I wasn’t exercising and when I get back into it I felt very happy and realized exercising was now a natural part of my routine. Before that I had spent years trying to fit it in after work and it rarely happened. I think it also helps to find something you love which at first I know is hard to figure out. For me I hated the gym and scratched that off my list easily. I love HIIT and using dumbbells and love doing that at home. Suggestion in case you were looking for something different…I use fitnessblender which you can find over 500 free videos on youtube. I have also used some of their programs which cost around $10-$15 and can be used over and over again. They do the workouts with you and don’t yell at you which I appreciate and the programs were nice to follow because at 5am my brain couldn’t remember what workout I did the day before.

• Taylor
      October 11, 2018 / 11:01 am

I should have proofread *sighs* I’m 26 not 256. haha

23. Beth
    October 11, 2018 / 11:20 am

I’m in a similar boat and I honestly don’t know what to do about it…and I don’t even have kids! I’ve tried everything, from leaving my blinds open at night (so the sun wakes me) to putting my alarm on the other side of the room, to buying expensive light-up alarms…..you name it, I’ve tried it. I’ve even signed up for classes and then slept through them knowing I would lose the money — and I HATE losing money! I’m such a deep and hard sleeper that it just overpowers any other intentions I have to do anything else.

This week I’ve been trying to fit a little bit of exercise in throughout the day — a plank or two while waiting for the water to boil for dinner, some push-ups during a commercial break, etc. I’m hoping that if I encourage myself slowly, it will eventually inspire me to want to do more, leading to (maybe) getting up and working out before work? I’m frustrated with myself because I want to make a change but my sleepy self just won’t listen to my healthy self!

24. Kheira
    October 11, 2018 / 11:20 am

Like a lot of people have already mentioned, prepping my gym stuff the night before helps. I also set my alarm to allow some time to wake up – I either lie in bed for a few minutes or hit snooze if necessary (the extra 5-10 min feels like a treat). I don’t have a work out partner, however, you tend to see the same people every morning and begin to build a rapport. They become your friends and it’s noticed if you miss, so you feel motivated to get up and see your gym buddies. It’s hard getting into the routine but once you do you definitely notice the difference if you skip your morning workout. It helps me manage my anxiety, lifts my mood, and sets the tone for the day. We still have rough sleeping nights with our toddler too, so I feel you. Some mornings I choose sleep over the workout but usually I convince myself to get up, telling myself that I can do less weight or not work as hard – sometimes I take it easy but most of the time I find that once I’m there I get into it. Since I get up so early I’m usually exhausted and in bed by 9 or 9:30. If I stay up any later I definitely feel the struggle when my alarm goes off at 4:30 am. Ultimately, you just have to find what works for you. Good luck!

25. October 11, 2018 / 11:22 am

I love doing a first-thing-in-the-morning workout, but I honestly don’t think it’s in the cards for me while my kids are little. My toddler wakes up at 6am on the dot, and going to the gym before then would be incredibly hard AND would saddle my husband with all of the morning kid duties.

We both work out during our work days. He’s a professor so he goes on the 3 days/week he’s done teaching at 1pm, and I go during my lunch hour 2-3 days/week. That way we’re using the gym while our kids are already in childcare. I think that one day I’ll go back to early morning exercise, but no time soon!

• October 11, 2018 / 11:25 am

And I should have added that while my husband will NOT work out if he doesn’t go to the actual gym, I have no problem doing at-home or in-office workouts, too! I love finding workouts on YouTube or PopSugar. At home I just have a mat, a ball, and a couple of those little neoprene dumb bell sets.

26. Laura
    October 11, 2018 / 11:31 am

I say screw waking up early because I never could do it and just felt guilty and started working out on my lunch break! I can only get a 30 minute exercise in, but it is great. I feel energized already because it is not at the crack of dawn, and it helps with the afternoon slump at work. and I am not taking away time from my family.

27. Jo
    October 11, 2018 / 11:39 am

Workout buddies are a MUST! I started a workout class after Lawter was born and it’s a die hard group who will send endless rude text messages all day long if one of us tries to skip out. And your little workout community makes you look forward to it!

• Christina
      Author
      October 11, 2018 / 6:26 pm

HAHAH. I need a workout buddy like this!!

28. Francesca
    October 11, 2018 / 11:54 am

I sign up for a 6:30am workout class! Monday and Wednesday’s it’s spin and then Tuesday’s and Thursdays it’s body pump. My gym has a policy that if you cancel your spot within the hour before the class, you’re charged $5. I don’t set my alarm to wake up until 6 – so by then it’s too late for me to cancel unless I want to pay the fee!

29. Jennifer
    October 11, 2018 / 11:57 am

I get up at 4:25 and leave my house by 4:55 to be at the gym by 5:10. I really like doing cardio first thing because it helps me wake up and gets my heart rate going. I love the stair master. I stay on it for 45 minutes and then lift weights or do lunges, etc. I agree with having your clothes ready to go, have your music charged, etc. Once you do it a couple of times, you’ll be exhausted by 8:30 and ready to go to bed early. I naturally now start waking up at 4:00.I don’t feel so rushed in the mornings as I did working out after work.

30. Jackie
    October 11, 2018 / 12:14 pm

I have 2 babes 2 and under and cannot do mornings either. I also usually run and the time I would have to go is really not even safe to be out running. Not to mention going in the morning makes the rest of our morning rushed and chaotic. After work is 100% out of the picture so I have developed a little lunch break workout habit that has really worked well for me. It does not cut into sleep/family bonding/happy hour time and really helps me feel better for the second half of the day. Sometimes meetings, life, etc. interfere but most days I can make it happen even if it is just for 30 minutes.

• October 11, 2018 / 12:44 pm

Yep, this is me too!

31. Mandy
    October 11, 2018 / 1:15 pm

I’ve been doing CrossFit for one year now. I go M-W-F mornings and after almost a year, it has become habit. I started by riding with my neighbor so I HAD TO GO. No excuses because I knew she was picking me up each morning. She has since moved but now I’m in the routine and continue to go and drive myself. Plus, I enjoy a bit of social time with the rest of the class before head home to start the stay and my boys wake up. The class is at 5 AM and I’m able to be home by 6 and have my self ready for the day, coffee made, car packed before I even have to wake them up. I am in bed by 8:30 though, as I wake up at 4:40. I set everything out the night before and when I wake up I quickly get dressed, put my slippers on, grab my shoes and water bottle and leave. My recommendation is to just start, and don’t be too hard on yourself 🙂

• Mandy
      October 11, 2018 / 1:18 pm

*start the DAY…not “stay”.

32. October 11, 2018 / 1:50 pm

My favorite time of day to work out is within the range of 8:30 – 10am, but obviously that’s rarely ever practical (if ever!)!!! So, 5am classes it is. Things that help me: TEACHING a 5am. (Obviously I’m not going to get fired by sleeping in, so it’s non-negotiable.) Registering for class the night before so there’s a financial penalty. Setting out everything I need so I can sleep until the last possible minute and just rush to get ready. A reward of coffee afterwards. (I get special lattes sometimes when I go early!) Going to bed EARLY the night before (and maintaining it as a good habit). Maintaining a consistent habit can be hard in the beginning, but doing what you LOVE and seeing it as a permanent, forever part of life helps. You can do this!!

33. Kaitlyn
    October 11, 2018 / 4:05 pm

I go to bootcamp at 4:45am (leave my house at 4:30am). I have 2 kids (same ages as yours) who do not sleep consistently. I struggled to get back into a workout routine after my second child was born, working full time, all that fun stuff — the struggle was a source of constant stress and anxiety, because I truly benefit from endorphins and was feeling miserable about myself! For me, I ultimately had to decide what I wanted more — an extra hour of sleep, or to feel more upbeat, energetic, and overall more satisfied after a workout. The latter (finally!) won out after I found a class/community that I loved…and one that was early enough to allow me time to get home, get myself/kids ready, and hop on my train.

They say it takes 21 days to form a habit. If you can commit for that long, it will just become a part of your routine. I always set out my clothes the night before too. I don’t have an accountability partner per se, but the other ladies in my class tend to notice if you’re not there and call you on it the next day!

GOOD LUCK! I 100% believe that early morning workouts can be life-changing!

34. Nan
    October 11, 2018 / 5:47 pm

Give up on the gym! Home workouts are the only way to go with little kids! Find a Beachbody coach, sign up with some friends and do challenge groups. It has changed my life. I am not a direct marketing person, and have no desire to sell things to my friends, however Beachbody is the one direct sales thing I am totally game for! 30 minute workouts that work and there are a million different options on BOD.

35. October 11, 2018 / 6:23 pm

Hi! Wow, incredibly impressed by all these moms, up at 4:30 am and ready for working out! As a working mom to a 1.5 year old who still is not into sleeping through the night, I’m running on caffeine and fumes and just trying to get through this stage. I REALLY REALLY miss regular workouts, and feel pretty guilty that I’m not taking care of myself and body. Unfortunately, for now, working out is taking a backseat to any moments of sleep I can capture in the morning. Anyway, just wanted to pass along some encouragement to anyone else reading this and thinking and also thinking, how are these moms doing this?What’s wrong with me? Hoping we can all grant ourselves a little bit of grace during these wild early parenting years. And thank you for your beautiful blog! Love reading and following along 🙂

36. Kaitlyn
    October 11, 2018 / 7:00 pm

I think this is a great point! I’m an early morning workout mom NOW…but after having 2 kids in 18 months, it took until my youngest was about 2 that I was in a place mentally (and physically!) where I could even think (and frankly, care) about reclaiming this piece of my life. You absolutely have to grant yourself grace when you’re in the baby/toddler/working mom haze.

37. Laura
    October 12, 2018 / 6:43 am

Hi Love your blog! I am a working mom with two kids and started a new schedule in September that has really worked for me. I take a cycling class on Tues and Thursday morning at 5:15 am and then get up early on Saturday and Sunday to do my own thing at the gym. On the weekend my neighbor comes with me, so I feel bad not going 🙂 I also joined a gym with a daycare so that if I need to take my kids (say I just want to sleep in on the weekend) I can! It took me one month to get used to the schedule and the results I was seeing was motivation enough! Wish I could fit in one more day a week but it doesn’t work right now with my schedule. Good luck!

38. Stacey
    October 12, 2018 / 9:14 am

Hey! Love the blog! I am religious about working out after work, even it’s only 30 minutes. I follow a lot of fitness ladies on Insta (most of them are also moms) and I feel like there are so many that post 30 minute workouts you can do at home with minimal equipment. I really like The Blonde Ponytail, Emily Breeze (I think she is also in the CLT area) – but there are others, too. When I can’t make a group fitness class work, I always have a plan – and then I tell myself to just START. That’s the hardest part 🙂 Good luck!

39. Penny
    October 12, 2018 / 9:45 am

I have a subscription to beachbody on demand and I love it! I have purchased a few of their DVDs and was happy with them but after about 2 years got tired of the repetition. BOD gives you access to tons of different programs- all of which can be done at home. I think they offer free 14 day trial also!
    **i am NOT a coach of beachbody- just a mom of a very active 3.5 year boy who doesn’t have “time” to drive to the gym everyday but can fit in a 30-45 minutes workout at home much easier!

40. Kelsea Foecking
    October 13, 2018 / 11:04 pm

I used to be a 8 hours of sleep kinda girl but since working out in the morning (used to do 5:45 am weekday cycle classes and now do 6:30 am OrangeTheory classes) two-three times a week, I find I can get away with 7 hours of sleep pretty consistently thanks to the energy I have from exercising first thing. Having a class (and cancellation fee) waiting for you in the morning is much more motivating then waking up and trying to do something on your own. Plus you get it over with and don’t have the chance to give yourself an excuse at the end of a long day. I still get into work around 8:20am most mornings I work out too, so no work guilt!

41. Kate
    October 14, 2018 / 8:47 pm

Do you have ClassPass in your area? It’s an app and tons of studios post their available classes on there. You pay a monthly fee for a certain allotment of points and then book classes using the points. It’s a great way to try different classes. I’ve done spinning, barre, and Pilates. The app becomes addicting almost because you’re always looking for a great new studio, time, and a way to use your points.

42. Gina
    October 15, 2018 / 8:02 am

I’ve been doing a 5:30 Spin class twice a week for 4 years & i don’t think it gets any easier (but I have a 3 & 1 yr old so that probably doesn’t help) but I just make sure everything including water & coffee is ready to go the night before & in the morning I splash cold water on my face & peppermint essential oil on my temples which works like a charm and just leave. But I also don’t believe in gyms anymore after all the wasted money so I do BBG (sweat app) at home 3 times per wk (30 mins) and it just took the stress away of trying to force myself to go to the gym plus it’s easy to squeeze in if traveling.

43. Breanne
    October 15, 2018 / 8:39 pm

My mom actually sleeps in her gym clothes. So all she has to do is roll out of bed and go to her 5 AM workout.

44. Katie
    October 16, 2018 / 9:50 am

I’m a huge fan of Gretchen Rubin (The Happiness Project). She wrote a book a couple years ago about habit change called Better than Before. It’s really about understanding yourself and your own tendencies (and the loopholes you use to get out of stuff) to really figure out the best way to create change and form lasting habits. I recommend it! Personally for me, having an accountability partner is key. I also set a reminder on my phone at 8:30 to go to bed. I NEED my sleep too and the only way to get sleep and get up early is to go to bed early. My kids are 8 and 4 and sometimes tough to get to bed. I always let them know that as soon as they go to sleep I’m going there myself (just so they know they’re not missing out on any fun after they go to sleep). Also, whenever we all have a tough time getting up in the morning, I announce “We’re all going to bed 15 min earlier tonight!” I make sure they know it’s not just punishment for them, it’s actually helpful and healthy for ALL of us to be ready to go in the morning.

45. October 22, 2018 / 11:33 am

Is there anyone out there who manages to do this with mornings that are already super early? I have to be to work by 7 which means I’m already up at 5 just to get everyone ready and out the door by 6:30. I struggle with 5! I can’t imagine trying to get up at 4am to work out. Also, bonus points if anyone knows how to work a nursing schedule into that (as in feeding a baby, not as a profession… lol). Yikes! I feel defeated already!