I am SO excited about all of the responses I received on my Soup Sundays post! One of my lovely readers (thanks Ashley!) highly recommended this tomato soup recipe and I thought it looked incredible — because bacon!!! But I was torn because we already love this tomato soup recipe too! So I ended up combining some of the ingredients from both recipes together and came up with…the best tomato basil soup…with BACON!
Creamy Tomato Basil & Bacon Soup
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 15-20 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- In a large soup pot, fry bacon until crispy, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the carrots, onion, and garlic to the bacon in the pan; saute for 5-10 minutes until tender.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Stir in the tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and let let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches and return to the pot.
- Very slowly (!!!!!) pour in the heavy cream while simultaneously stirring until all the cream is combined and the soup is creamy.
- Stir in the basil. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese!