This isn’t a regular grilled cheese, it’s a FANCY GRILLED CHEESE!
If you’ve never had a fancy grilled cheese this recipe will blow your mind — and you’ll never go back to a regular grilled cheese again! This gourmet sandwich is layered with a mix of delicious cheeses (goat, provolone & mozzarella) and pops of green color with avocado, pesto, and spinach. But the best part? This grilled cheese is actually cooked ON THE GRILL. Yes, we are making a true grilled cheese. I told ya you would never go back to regular…
This is one of my favorite recipes to make when hosting friends during grill season. I always love to see the surprise on their faces when I announce we’re making grilled cheese for dinner. And then I love to see their absolute delight after their first bite of a fancy grilled cheese.
Also, I must credit this recipe to one of my best friends, Lisa, who made this sandwich for us back in 2016! And we’ve been making it ever since!
So what’s in them?
Fancy Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- Bread: This is important! You’re going to want to use thick, fluffy bread to really secure all the ingredients inside. We like Nature’s Own Perfectly Crafted White Bread.
- Pesto: Your favorite kind!
- Mozzarella: This is the cheese that will give your sandwich the ultimate stretch test once you cut it!
- Spinach: I trim the stems off my spinach and use the biggest leaves I can find.
- Goat cheese
- Grill Brush: Not an ingredient, but I can’t share a grill recipe and not mention our Bristle-Free Grill Brush. It cleans the grill well, is dishwasher friendly, and we do not have to worry about wire flakes ending up in our food.
The Fancy Grilled Cheese Stretch Test
Once you’ve grilled your sandwich, I highly recommend giving it a stretch test so you can pat yourself on the back and really show off your masterpiece to your friends. Everyone always gets a good kick out of this. And it’s very Instagramable if that’s your thing! (And if it is, please tag me because I LOVE to see a good stretch test!). So here’s my stretchy cheese tip — when you cut your sandwich, do NOT cut it all the way through, otherwise, your cheese will be fully separated. Instead, gently cut your sandwich on each side, stopping right before you really get to the cheese. And then sloooooowly pull it apart for the ultimate wow factor.
- 4 slices thick cut bread
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2 slices mozzarella
- 2 slices provolone
- 1/2 cup spinach, trimmed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp butter
- Spread pesto over one side of each slice of bread.
- Layer with a slice of mozzarella, a slice of provolone, spinach, avocado, and sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slice and press to seal.
- Lightly butter both sides of the bread and grill over medium heat until the cheese is melted (approximately 4-5 minutes).
- Gently slice, stretch test, then serve.