The annual Valentine Bake Sale at the kiddos’ school is tomorrow and we made Valentine Muddy Buddies, or Puppy Chow, depending on what you call them!
Last year I blew off the bake sale (but NOT the year before) so I felt I needed to contribute this time. Caroline insists on helping in the kitchen these days so picking a recipe which calls for two different powders wasn’t the smartest decision I’ve ever made. I guess my floors needed a little pine sol anyway…
I replaced half my usual powdered sugar with funfetti cake mix and oh-my-gosh why haven’t I done this before???? And then to top off the goodness I tossed in a bag of Valentine M&Ms, which thankfully wasn’t as difficult to find as Halloween m&ms (remember this? I was hoping you wouldn’t!).
After we bagged up all the treats I asked Caroline how we should price them for the bake sale and without hesitation she declared $9 (each). If I hadn’t already embarrassed myself by grossly overpricing my bake sale treats previously, I may have considered it.
And because we really, really, really love our teachers, we bagged up some treats separately for them. I hope the Bake Sale committee doesn’t mind the $54 loss in profits…
- 1 box (13.5 oz) rice Chex Cereal
- 12 oz bag white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil or margarine
- ½ cup Funfetti cake mix
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- m&ms (optional)
- In a large bowl mix together the powdered sugar and cake mix. Divide between two gallon ziploc bags.
- Pour box of cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl place chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave on high for 45 seconds and stir until smooth. If not completely melted microwave in 15 sec intervals until melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the chex and stir to coat evenly.
- Add the cereal mixture evenly between the gallon bags and shake to coat completely.
- Once dry (about 30minutes) top with M&Ms.