Sassy Water

Looking for a way to perk up those 8 glasses of water that you should be drinking every day? Look no further…I present to you Sassy Water! Not only is it tasty, but sassy water is touted as a way to help you shed some extra pounds around your midsection by eliminating a buildup of contaminants, fat, and excess water weight.

Ingredients:

8.5 cups water

1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 medium cucumber, sliced thin
1 large lemon, sliced thin
12 mint leaves

Find the print recipe here.

Mix all ingredients together in a pitcher and refrigerate overnight. I highly recommend picking up an infusion pitcher to skip the straining step!

original post photo

The next morning, strain (if not using an infusion pitcher) and drink all 8 ½ cups throughout the day.

Repeat for 4 days in a row…trying your best avoid any other beverages (coffee, soda, alcohol, etc.)

Why it works: Cucumber is natural diuretic, contains anti-inflammatory properties and helps the body release stored excess water. Ginger boosts metabolism, helps cleanse out your system and soothes your GI tract. Lemon juice also helps to cleanse and alkalize the body. Mint helps settle your stomach and aids in digestion.

April 2016 update: due to the overwhelming popularity of this recipe I updated (some) of the photos. Thank you all for the comments and recommendations on this delicious drink!

1. the girl in the red shoes
    October 24, 2011 / 1:53 pm

Good to know! This sounds tasty and easy….I might have to try it this weekend!

2. The Engaged Life
    October 24, 2011 / 4:03 pm

I just might have to try this.. Thanks for sharing:)

3. Buckbeak
    October 24, 2011 / 5:29 pm

Hmm .. I wonder how the ginger tastes in the water? The lemons and cucumbers sounds great.

4. Laurie
    December 16, 2011 / 2:54 pm

This is awesome! and would be totally great for summer. We served something similar to this in the 100 degree summer heat for our wedding and the guests really appreciated it!

5. stlavonlady
    April 12, 2012 / 3:06 pm

I love your blog!! I am heading out today to buy the ingredients for this drink. Excited to try it. I mainly drink water all the time. Why not make it even healthier for me. : ) I would love it if you dropped by and checked out my blog as well. Thanks and have a great day! Julie from Stlavonlady Beauty Tips and Tricks, Savings & More!

6. Anonymous
    May 12, 2012 / 11:48 pm

Love your enfo. Thanks for sharing

7. Kelly
    May 30, 2012 / 7:32 pm

Sounds delicious…following you! Love your blog.

8. Maria
    May 31, 2012 / 12:17 pm

Ohhh! I love this! I'm going to start serving this instead of regular lemon water at my spa. 🙂 Thanks Carolina!

9. colleen marie
    June 3, 2012 / 2:40 am

Do you think you can reuse the ingredients for the four days or will you have to get 4 cucumbers, 4 lemons etc…?

10. patandfritz
    June 5, 2012 / 2:12 am

Colleen, I have been using fresh each day. So worth it. This is so delicious 🙂 Right now the cukes and lemons are at good prices. I always keep fresh ginger in my fridge so no problem there. I use dried mint leaves although I have lemon balm growing and was thinking maybe….. 🙂

11. Cammie Brownson
    June 9, 2012 / 7:22 pm

Made it last night and tasted it this morning…very refreshing! Even my husband liked it!

12. Cammie Brownson
    June 9, 2012 / 7:22 pm

13. Nia Leeper
    June 21, 2012 / 5:39 pm

I made it last night and I am drinking it today. I love it, very refreshing and i really didn't feel the urge to have a snack at 10AM or around 3PM… so we'll see if it is going to help shrink my belly :)- Thank you for sharing.

14. Anonymous
    June 23, 2012 / 3:58 pm

Where do you get the mint leaves? Dried or fresh?

15. Anonymous
    June 30, 2012 / 3:00 pm

This works great, I used it when I read the flat belly diet! It's an awesome book

16. Anonymous
    July 6, 2012 / 5:47 am

I made my batch tonight see how it taste tomorrow 🙂

17. Anonymous
    July 6, 2012 / 6:20 pm

Ginger is hot/spicy…very nice. Mint is available all over…get fresh mint, it is sooooooo wonderful and very easy to grow!

18. Charmyka
    July 7, 2012 / 11:57 am

I'm not a fan of mint. Is it ok if I omit the mint? Also, would ground ginger work just as well as fresh?

• Nyteflame
      September 3, 2013 / 6:43 pm

Try Basil, basil goes really well with lemon and cucumber.

19. Ruup2It
    July 9, 2012 / 5:35 am

Mint is extremely easy to grow! Don't put it in flower beds as it will take over! Can't wait to try this recipe 🙂 thanks!

20. Anonymous
    July 9, 2012 / 2:04 pm

I must try it, hope I loose some weight.

21. Anonymous
    August 1, 2012 / 11:44 am

This is really good but I have found that it tastes WAY better when you peel the cucumber and just squeeze the lemon juice into the water. It was really bitter otherwise…..

22. Jacki Clark
    August 2, 2012 / 3:39 pm

i just made mine last night, and just had some. it is good…. I think that it would even be better with like, half of an orange too : )

23. Kereth
    August 8, 2012 / 3:06 pm

I have to have my one cup of coffee in the am. Think ok?

24. Ashley Krone
    August 20, 2012 / 5:09 pm

It tastes terrible, I can't drink it without throwing up in my mouth, probably why it's a "detox drink"

25. Brighid
    August 21, 2012 / 9:22 pm

Been drinking it for 2 days. I'm hooked!

26. Anonymous
    August 22, 2012 / 6:34 am

Anyone notice results?!!

27. DimplesTKG
    August 27, 2012 / 1:18 am

Got it in the fridge. Going to try it tomorrow! Do you think the cucumber and lemon could be re-used? Hmmm… I'll let ya know in a couple days! 🙂

28. Nicky
    September 1, 2012 / 4:43 pm

Made it and just popped it in the fridge. Both my mother and I are going to try this. I'm normally a very fussy person when it comes to food and drink. If it's not water or diet coke, I tend to not want to know. Can't wait to let this change my mind 🙂

29. Chris
    September 13, 2012 / 5:36 pm

Thank you!

30. Anonymous
    September 17, 2012 / 10:39 pm

Pretty refreshing and tasty! Shockingly so. Was worried about the ginger. But I'm almost done with my first day's pitcher and it was nothing! Thanks!!~Sandy Clemson, SC

31. Anonymous
    November 30, 2012 / 11:58 am

32. Anonymous
    December 10, 2012 / 2:44 pm

Organic lemons! Otherwise you're just going to be drinking pesticides in your water. Not good.

33. Anonymous
    December 26, 2012 / 11:46 pm

I'm so excited to try it anyone else tried it and have an amount of weightloss yet?

34. Anonymous
    December 31, 2012 / 8:34 am

I found this receipein a book a while back. It is a good one. I fill up a gallon pitcher … leave the stuff in the pitcher … pour water in a glass using a small strainer …refill water each time … I only dump out stuff after 5 days … still works great … Oh … Bottled lemon juice is not the same. The fresh lemons are best. Fresh lemons great for the antibacterial benifits. Also, this mixture is terrific for "regularity" and body cleansing.

35. Anonymous
    January 6, 2013 / 2:06 am

This is a Dr. Oz drink

36. Anonymous
    January 6, 2013 / 3:21 am

Awesome …I will try. This

37. Anonymous
    January 8, 2013 / 5:04 pm

Pitcher is almost gone….love water love lemons. Can't even taste the ginger. Iwas worried bout that. Very refreshing smells good.

38. Anonymous
    January 13, 2013 / 7:53 pm

Has anyone noticed if this works?

39. Anonymous
    January 28, 2013 / 2:55 pm

Started this today. I drink a ton of water so this is perfect for me. Will let you know how it goes on Friday!

40. Diana Jimenez
    February 21, 2013 / 3:21 am

Is it safe while breastfeeding??

• 4welschenbachs
      May 1, 2014 / 5:45 pm

should be…i doing see why it wouldnt be…you can eat all those foods

41. Sara Buckner
    March 10, 2013 / 8:08 pm

ginger is excellent in water, it's not overpowering at all, I drink ginger & lemon water practically every day. the flavors go great together

42. Sara Buckner
    March 10, 2013 / 8:08 pm

43. deia cassidy
    April 1, 2013 / 5:23 am

OMG Nicki, when I first read your comment i thought you said,"Made it and just pooed in the fridge." Wow, I'm sory, I really need to go to bed,lol. But this sounds delicious and will have to try it tomorrow.

44. MN251
    April 1, 2013 / 8:12 am

Would it be OK to use limes instead of lemons?

45. Mich
    April 2, 2013 / 7:01 pm

Thanks! This is great! I am usually pretty good about drinking water all day long, but it does get boring, and sometimes I'd like to drink something with a little flavor. I bought all the ingredients for this yesterday, and never got around to making a pitcher full last night, so I did it this morning. It chilled in the fridge for only about an hour when I poured my first glass. It was a nice change from plain water, and plenty tasty after just an hour, although I imagine it will be better and more beneficial after a longer period of time. (I used ginger paste from a tube that I picked up in the produce section of my grocery store, thinking it would be nice to have a quick shortcut since I'll be making a lot of this.)Feeling thinner and healthier already! 🙂

46. Carolynn Jaskot
    June 6, 2013 / 3:31 am

Tried something similar recently at my hair salon/spa. Their recipe called for simmering chucks of fresh apple, sliced lemons; limes in water- enough for a large pitcher – simmering will draw out the fruit flavors. Then chill overnight.I don't know if that recipe had the fruit strained out after chilling; but I'm guessing by adding new fresh fruit in the am would look a bit more "fresh" in the pitcher. Otherwise this was absolutely yummy. I thought it was a peach drink, like a crystal light or something. Worth trying for sure

47. Christina
    July 6, 2013 / 6:31 am

Just found this pin on pinterest, I'm definitely trying it!

48. Cina Ray
    July 17, 2013 / 3:47 am

im gonna try but question… how much do you drink those per day?

49. uchiha manga
    September 1, 2013 / 5:46 pm

you want to loss weight fast read more information here and for more information about Lemon water lose weight

50. Sharon
    May 22, 2014 / 1:26 am

This is tasty, but will only last one day! Cucumber gets very bitter!!!

51. Kaitlyn Young
    July 8, 2015 / 3:58 am

Can you also use this recipe without mint leaves or Basil?