Reader Poll: Foyer Decor

Last year I polled my lovely readers on what the heck to put in our entry way wall niche. The most popular vote was to patch it up and the second most popular vote was a bronze statue of Matt. Unfortunately for Matt, I secretly slid in the patching project to our kitchen renovation.

So now that we’re all patched up I’m polling y’all again…

What should I hang on this wall?

And before you respond, two notes:

1. I don’t want any art as I’m afraid it will clash with our gorgeous dining room art.

2. I do not want to put any sort of furniture (ex: small table, etc.) in this space!

So now what? Family pictures? A mirror? A poster size print of Matt’s Hall of Fame magazine feature?

While you’re thinking about it, I thought I’d share our progress of this little space since we moved in…

Original

New Paint + Staircase Makeover + Refinished Hardwoods (see full  post here)

Decorated! (see full post here)

Wall Niche Under Construction

Walled up! Time to decorate it…

Please leave me a comment with your decoration ideas!

Foyer Sources

Dining Room Sources

Paint Colors

Banister paint color: Benjamin Moore Wrought Iron

Entry way paint color: Benjamin Moore Grey Owl

Dining room paint color: Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace

1. Lexie
    January 14, 2019 / 6:07 am

I have a mirror in my foyer and find it helpful.

2. Aileen
    January 14, 2019 / 6:55 am

Mirrors are always helpful especially one just beside your front door. Gives you a chance to check yourself before you leave. In our hallway we have a slate that was engraved for our wedding which is stunning but that might be too much like art? Alternatively either a photo of your favourite place (I am from North Uist so I have a big picture of that in my hall) or one of your favourite family photos. Maybe one of you all down in Florida visiting your parents? I am sure it will look lovely no matter what you pick!

3. Toni :0)
    January 14, 2019 / 8:11 am

I like the mirror idea or your Florida family pic or what about creating a pallet with your Family Established and then your wedding date and your initial of your last name? You are so creative, I’m sure you’ll pick something great! Your home is beautiful and I love your blog. Been meaning to tell you that your Korean Bowl recipe is a fan favorite in our home. 🙌🏻☺️

• Christina
      Author
      January 14, 2019 / 10:30 am

Cute idea! ANd YES to that Korean Bowl!!! SO GOOD!

4. stacey
    January 14, 2019 / 8:13 am

Oyster shell wreath, mirror, tobacco basket?

• Christina
      Author
      January 14, 2019 / 10:37 am

LOVE the oyster shell wreath idea!!!!!!!!

5. Robbin
    January 14, 2019 / 8:20 am

Mirror for sure! Handy and will bring light into the space.

6. Elizabeth Blunden
    January 14, 2019 / 8:32 am

I would put a mirror

7. Kim
    January 14, 2019 / 8:33 am

A mirror! Although its on your no list, I would personally put a very small decorative table with a catch-all for keys, etc. with a mirror over it! But besides that, I think a large mirror would look great also 🙂

8. Nora
    January 14, 2019 / 8:53 am

I agree- either a mirror or a family picture canvas. I have a mirror right next to our front door and love it for a quick hair/teeth check when on the way out! I also have a gorgeous print quote over a small table- it’s a neutral “it is well with my soul” printing neutral Frame (has meaning to our family) so that’d be my third idea 😉

9. Elizabeth
    January 14, 2019 / 9:01 am

A mirror or framed quote!

10. Shauna
    January 14, 2019 / 9:36 am

I would do a tall floor plant or the mirror.

11. Leslie
    January 14, 2019 / 9:41 am

I like clean spaces so I’d tend to leave it blank. It feels clean and bright, fresh and uncluttered. Peaceful. If you really want to put something there though, I say mirror.

12. Julia
    January 14, 2019 / 9:53 am

A white framed cathedral mirror would fill that space really well. Though it would mimic the shape of the niche, so you might hate that… 😂

13. January 14, 2019 / 10:00 am

I think a mirror would look awesome, but if you don’t want furniture but DO want function, a small shelf with hanging space for keys/umbrellas might be nice! We have one in our foyer and while it isn’t like, HGTV pretty, it does minimize the clutter of that crap elsewhere 😛

14. Lauren
    January 14, 2019 / 10:45 am

I think a mirror … ?

15. Abbie Hawks
    January 14, 2019 / 10:58 am

Mirrors are always a good idea!

16. Diane
    January 14, 2019 / 11:10 am

Maybe some metal artwork the same patina as your entry light fixture? There are many designs, shapes, or even groupings that might work. Whatever you choose will be perfect👌🏼!

17. January 14, 2019 / 11:42 am

I’m leaning towards a mirror for that space, but I also think nothing would be beautiful as well. The artwork in your dining room brings the focus, so why take away from that?

18. Sonia
    January 14, 2019 / 11:50 am

I would do a mirror or go make something at AR Workshop that represents your family! They have the cutest welcome sign.

19. Brandy
    January 14, 2019 / 12:19 pm

I think a mirror would be great, my mom always says you need a “last look” spot near the door!

20. sara
    January 14, 2019 / 1:04 pm

I would leave it empty. It makes the space feel open.

21. Alicia
    January 14, 2019 / 1:32 pm

I would do a mirror or a couple of horizontal canvas printed family photos stacked! Sam’s Club has them cheap and they’re great quality!

22. January 14, 2019 / 1:51 pm

It’s the perfect spot for a mirror!

23. Emily
    January 14, 2019 / 4:30 pm

Definitely a mirror!

24. Lainey
    January 14, 2019 / 5:46 pm

My vote is for a mirror or a large potted plant in a lifted planter.

25. Rebecca
    January 14, 2019 / 8:00 pm

I definitely vote for a mirror. I think it is your only choice! :-). Or, leave it blank. From your photos, it looks great without anything!!

26. Megan
    January 15, 2019 / 7:45 am

Eucalyptus or magnolia wreath

27. Deanna
    January 15, 2019 / 9:06 am

I vote for a mirror!

28. Charlotte
    January 15, 2019 / 11:03 am

A beautiful family picture!

29. Crystal
    January 15, 2019 / 11:09 pm

I vote a mirror, but with a small wreath in the middle of the mirror. I can also see why you wouldn’t want to put any furniture there because of the glass doors on the other side, but a small accent table somewhere in the foyer with a family picture and maybe an initial or family name sign would look lovely to add some personalization.

30. Lisa
    January 16, 2019 / 7:55 am

If it was MY space, I would hang a decorative mirror with a quote over it, like… “Bless this home and all who enter”, I did this at my last house and loved it. However, at my new house, we don’t have the space for it. Thinking about just doing the quote over the front door where people enter. I hand painted mine but I’ve seen decals you can buy. (or add your favorite quote.)

31. January 16, 2019 / 10:03 am

Mirror all the way friend!! – there’s one at Hobby Lobby that I specifically have in mind – skinny but decorative! It’ll be the perfect accent to the space!

32. Lesley
    January 19, 2019 / 5:43 pm

One of my friends has a window frame hanging in her foyer and she changes the decor hanging on it seasonally (wreath, monogram letter, etc.). Very pretty!

33. Jordan Schiffbauer
    January 20, 2019 / 6:55 pm

Framed family photo or a family photo canvas that you get a custom frame made for or a unique mirror 🙂

34. Lindsay
    January 20, 2019 / 10:37 pm

I would do black & white dubose pictures of your kids with their black & white clay rice silohettes (spelling?). If you have those….something very classic and southern…that you won’t get tired of seeing or have to update as they grow up….